Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing corrosion from brass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Dec 23, 2006.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got this little decorative thing that's made of brass that belongs to my old neighbor. I would really like to clean it up for him (he's not into the patina thing) and have done what I can with buffing. Too many nooks and cranny. Anyone have a liquid solotion that would desolve the pretty green corrosion? Let me know if you guys have any ideas.

Thanks guys!
    Scooter

2. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Try some never-dull wadding polish(I do not think that is how it is spelled) If you have buffed it then you probably know whether it is solid brass or just plated in brass ? The reason that I bring this up is becuase if it is just plated it does not take much to rub throught the brass plating. Good luck with your polishing.

3. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

A toothbrush and some kind of metal polish--Brasso maybe? Then polish it. You'll never get it totally clean but then old brass isn't supposed to be.

4. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I agree to be careful if it is brass plated. I soaked a piece that I thought was solid brass. Found out that it was plated and the solution ate the brass off. Ended up painting it. Do not remember what I soaked it in, maybe vinegar. Neal

5. stepsidecharlie

stepsidecharlie
    from minnesota

mothers polishing ball might work as well also

6. fflood

fflood
    from Milwaukee

I teach jewelry and metalsmithing at a university and this is a solution we use for cleaning brass. It is a strong solution, although it doesn't appear that is would be from the chemicals being used. Please read the following thoroughly.

2 parts hydrogen peroxide and 1 part white vinegar: This is a strong solution and the piece should only be dipped in the solution until clean.

Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) pickle eliminates the need for abrasives, and has the added attraction of being relatively inoffensive. The following procedures and formulas provide for the removal of red scale from copper, brass, bronze, nickel silver, reticulation silver and some gold alloys. It will remove the copper coating from silver that has been accidentally pickled in an iron-contaminated acid. Curiously, it will also remove the natural oxide layer found on aluminum.

It is suggested that you run some tests before applying the formula to your work. Find the procedure that best fits your needs. When working with any acid the possibility of damaging your work piece always exists. These formulas can dissolve a brass piece and leave the silver solder seams standing.

Use this solutions warm, or about the temperature of a hot bath. The hotter the pickle; the faster and coarser the etch.

PROCEDURE:

If possible suspend the piece in the warm pickle. After a moment bubbles should appear on the piece. Agitate or brush with a toothbrush to clear the bubbles. Remove the piece from the bath every couple of minutes to check the progress. It may take 5-10 minutes. Rinse well.
    Use a stiff tooth brush or brass brush to remove residue and rinse
    When the metal emerges from the pickle, it will be coated with a thick brownish green smut. This will flash off when dipped in undiluted white vinegar.

Long term exposure to these pickles can cause the copper to be dissolved out of an alloy's surface. Brass, for instance, can be pickled until it turns bright yellow. Even the mildest of the vinegar solutions can deeply etch if left unattended. A deep etch will often reveal the underlying crystal structure of the metal. Care should be taken and the process watched closely.

As is the case with all corrosive solutions, these formulas should be handled with care and in good ventilation.

Hope this helps.
    -fflood

borntoloze and ekimneirbo like this.
  7. Head down to your local music store and get some cymbal polish. Good cymbals are made of Turkish brass. That stuff used to make my cymbals shine like gold!

borntoloze and alanp561 like this.
  8. Frank

Frank

i just figured I'd try this. I have a data plate from an old firetruck. I have it in a plastic dish with 1/2 c of HP and 1/4 vinegar. Its soaking now.

9. screwtheman

screwtheman

I know this is probably overkill for your particular question, but just for future reference- the non-abrasive soda blasting process was born from Statue of Liberty restoration project to clean up her soft copper plates. I'm about to strip paint off of a friend's Model T brass tail light assemblies in a couple weeks.

10. Soak it for 48 hours in cheap cola - cleans brass that hasn't been polished in decades.

Greenblade likes this.
  11. GTS225

GTS225

I've used a solution of lemon juice and table salt with fairly good success. Did it to an old "Gone-With-The-Wind" kerosene lamp that had a fair amount of corrosion AND gold colored paint. Cleaned off all of it, but wasn't real fast. A toothbrush and patience did the trick.

Roger

12. draggin ass

draggin ass
    BANNED
    from hell

"TARN-X" shit works like a charm.

theHIGHLANDER likes this.
  13. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I'll second the Tarnex I use it for cleaning the contacts in old switches.

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great! This was all great info! I've got some cymbol cleaner I forgot about. Dipping it would be much easier!

Frank... how's looking after "X" amount of hours?

Thanks guys!
    Scooter

15. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

I know this is an old thread but I have a great solution I thought i'd share and you'll likely have it in your house already.

Tomato sauce aka ketchup will clean brass and copper in two minutes with no abrading, rubbing etc. Coat your piece, wait two minutes then rinse off with cool water thoroughly.

If you're a doubter, do it on a penny now. At worst you've lost two minutes. If it's really trashed you may need to dry it and give it a second go.

Cheers,
    Rob

alanp561 likes this.
  16. Nevr-Dull is the best, a million soldiers and seamen can't be wrong!

17. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Yes,vinegar was discussed. :rolleyes:

18. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Well, I'll be damned.....I just tried the ketchup on a couple of old pennies, It works....Just washed them off under the faucet. No rubbing, no scrubbing. They were so pretty then, I went out and spent them.:):):)

Might give me something to do tonight, is get out my old jar of pennies I've been saving forever, and pour ketchup all over them. Then I'll have a jar of old pennies looking like new pennies??????:confused:

Thanks Rob for the tip.....

HellRaiser

19. Brasso

20. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I use Nevr-Dull but someone told me ketchup will work , don't know if that's BS or not, I never tried it.

21. Any type of mild acid will work on the corrosion, uh patina. Brasso combines polish and a mild acid to clean and protect the metal. Thats what they used to use on fire trucks.

22. You could cut to the chase and just use the vinegar and salt that is contained in the ketchup, although the consistency of the ketchup might actually help it stick to the surface, kind of like Naval Jelly.

I used to use muriatic acid for cleaning brass. It will take any corrosion off immediately! Don't soak the brass in it though and be sure to rinse it well with baking soda to neutralize the acid before allowing the piece around any ferrous metals because the fumes of the acid will cause iron or steel to rust.

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

don't you guys watch Antiques Roadshow?

"well your (insert item here) has a value of $100.00 - $200.00. had you not polished it the value would be $10,000.00"

alanp561 likes this.
  24. Bull

Bull

You can use Wizards Metal Polish or Metal Renew.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then follow it up with the Wizards Power Seal to protect against future corrosion.
    [​IMG]

You can apply our products by hand with a little elbow grease or check out our Metal Buffs that chuck up in your drill.
    [​IMG]

See my signature for a HAMB discount too!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  25. dad-bud

dad-bud

hellraiser, look out you don't spend all your pennies on ketchup to clean them.
    After all, tomatoes that go into ketchup don't grow on trees, ya know!!!!
    Haha

26. Ernie48

Ernie48

27. Ernie48

Ernie48

To: fflood
    Will this combination of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar work on musical instruments who's slides are corroded shut? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

28. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Hey Ernie..this thread is 16 years old and Fflood hasn't been on here in 7 years. You're not likely going to get a response from him.

bobss396, Tman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. Sheesh........these Newbies.:rolleyes:

theHIGHLANDER, Just Gary and Tman like this.
  30. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they weren't made prior to 1965, probably not.:rolleyes: