Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Oneball

Oneball

Thanks for the explanation. I love this thread because of all the new stuff I learn as well as the car looking fab. Don’t think they allow nitro in roundy-round racing though :(

chryslerfan55 and racer-x like this.
  2. It's OK to run until you get caught.

mad mikey, seb fontana, Tim and 4 others like this.
  3. AmishMike

AmishMike

Wow, I am reminded of funny story. Many years ago, friends dad had lawn mower sales & repair shop. Started selling new brand Japanese motorcycle called Yamaha. Friend ended up with 125 cc rotary valve. ( I think ) bike. Started various ways to hop up. Would race around flat on the tank & max revs. Tried a can of model airplane fuel ( lot of nitro?). I was pumping gas in station where I worked when he went screaming by. Lasted a few miles before “bang” - back to pedaling. Happy ending; dad retired from huge dealership.

chryslerfan55 and The 39 guy like this.
  4. Nitro has a oxygen component to it. Because of this the mixture needs to be richened up. Nitro doesn't mix with gas.

mad mikey, Desoto291Hemi and loudbang like this.
  5. Have you ever wondered what the crew chief are doing at the starting line before the car stages? They are setting the idle after the burnout. These fittings are screwed into the injector. Plastic plugs can be removed. This allows more air to go into the engine. That leans it out raising the rpm. Depending on many factors removing one plug raises the rpm 200-400. They can be removed in seconds without effecting the barrel valve.
    The other cool thing with them involves the warm up. Removing the plugs and replacing them with plastic lines run into a jug of methanol saves nitro. The timing can be set and heat can be built up in the engine. After the warm up the lines come out and the plugs go back in.
    This is one way of doing it. Some teams have holes drilled into the injector of various sizes. They put tape over them. The tape is pulled to expose the hole. I think the plugs are cleaner. 20240218_182841.jpg 20240218_182903.jpg 20240218_182908.jpg

6. The oil filter bracket was made. It just needs to be welded on.
    I started to remove some of the street stuff today. There's alot more coming off. 20240218_183126.jpg 20240218_183216.jpg 20240218_183152.jpg

7. The necessary modifications were done to the idler pulley bracket to get the mag in. A mag support was added. These generators are heavy and only supported by a clamp at the block. You can see how it's offset to clear everything. You can see how the fuel lines are nicely routed away from the starter. 20240218_183002.jpg 20240218_182955.jpg 20240218_182946.jpg 20240218_183036.jpg The timing is set. I need to add oil and pre lube it.

Gotgas, Tim, mad mikey and 14 others like this.
  8. That mag setup looks so much better than using an offset gearbox. I just ordered a RCD angle drive for my '92. I like your support rod, too.

mad mikey likes this.
  9. It's a rcd unit with a u joint. The swivel of the base provides the offset. No belts are needed with this set up. The dual drive took up alot of room. It did look cool I have to say.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I understand nitro won't ignite unless it is compressed.

mad mikey likes this.
  11. It's a stable fuel until it's heated or compressed. Then it gets exiting. In a combustion chamber it gets both. On a big show nitro car the plugs are melted off a second into the run. They are no longer functional. The engine diesels the rest of the run. A big show nitro engine uses a timer to control the spark. At the hit they run as much as 90 degrees of lead. Then the timers pull the lead back to around 60 degrees. They are almost running backwards. There is such a big volume of fuel and being a slow burning fuel the spark needs alot of time to get it burned. Burning all of the fuel makes big power. Adding timing has the effect of leaning out the engine. Timing is way more important than the nitro load as far as adding more power. Adding more percentage without adding advance doesn't do much if it all goes out the pipes unburned. Leaving the percentage alone and adding timing really gets the party started. As the timing is advanced the main jet needs to be smaller. The engine will let you know in many ways if the tune up was off. They have a funny way of dealing with your lack of attention.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  12. I'm building new dragster style zoomies today. This should be fun. The adaptors are too small. A swedge IMG_170940519218F.jpg 20240302_150008.jpg is being made to tighten the clearances.

TFoch, enloe, mad mikey and 8 others like this.
  13. The swedge worked. Moving forward. 20240302_173726.jpg 20240302_175657.jpg 20240302_173726.jpg 20240302_175657.jpg

TFoch, enloe, mad mikey and 14 others like this.
  14. The adaptors are welded to the flanges. We use silicon bronze rod. This will never crack. The key is to only get the metal red. Never melt it. It's really brazing. The higher end header makers do it this way. 20240308_094433.jpg The tubes go on today.

15. The stubs off the flanges needed 2.5 inches cut off. The pipes interfered with the frame. A fence was set up on the band saw. After they were cut they were sanded flat and straight on a old head surfacer. It's a huge belt sander. It makes welding much easier with no gaps. After alot of trial fitting and measuring we agreed on this set up. I need the expectant flames to clear the body. I need some up sweep for down force on the chassis. They need to lay back for forward thrust. There's alot to think about and look at. We looked at it from alot of angles. 20240308_143939.jpg 20240308_143953.jpg 20240308_144527.jpg 20240308_144532.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
  16. Being single wall and fairly short they are alot lighter. Being short they will be alot louder if that's possible. The other benefit is the flames out of the pipes. It will be noticeable.

17. upload_2024-3-8_16-33-43.jpeg upload_2024-3-8_16-34-28.jpeg upload_2024-3-8_16-34-55.jpeg

ewe nuts mango :D;)

enloe, porkshop, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  18. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Very Zoomy looking! :cool:

porkshop, mad mikey and racer-x like this.
  19. One down. One to go. The support braces are now on. We are calling it today. The belt guard is on along with the burnout lean out valve. It was a full day. More on sunday. 20240308_172243.jpg 20240308_172357.jpg 20240308_172306.jpg

20. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just looking at the pics and noticed the "Stage V" on the valve covers. Thinking that probably fits with all the upgrades/phases this car has seen - maybe it's even more than that! It's probably more like a constant evolution. :cool:
    I learn something just about every time I check this thread. Thanks for taking us along.
    Any chance we might see you at the Fall Out this year?

21. Thanks for the nice comments. I'm focusing this year on several nitro specific events. It's the nitro chaos series. They have a event in central Illinois on the same weekend as the fall out. I will be at the Grove at the end of June for the out of Site drags. It's a great event. Stop out.

22. I really like the zoomies and especially the supports Brian. You have givin me a idea for supports on my zoomies. ;)

23. The first side is easy. The other side not so much. To make them match side to side is the hard part. A lot of measurements are taken to get it right. I don't go by you can only see one side of the car at a time. It has to match. 20240309_162031.jpg View attachment 5994385 20240309_162056.jpg

TFoch, Rawrench, enloe and 8 others like this.
  24. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Side to side is not so noticable, End for End is where you'll see it, and that's what will piss you off to no end, if something is different. ;)

porkshop and racer-x like this.
  25. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Not trying to be a Smart A$$
    Unbolt driver side
    Bolt header flang together easier to duplicate on a table[

26. The table is not the car. The frame rails come into play. The angles of the frame to pipe change front to rear. We tri anglelulate everything. Putting them on a table is a mirror image. The tubes were cut in a fixture so they are all exact. We use a digital angle gauge to set angles and a tape measure to go from the gound to the tube. Also from the flange to tube. Then from the front stud to the pipe. We set this up on a flat floor with the tires set.
    The passenger side will always be a little different because that bank is slightly rearward of the drivers side. The passenger rear will all always be a tight fit. It's all about out the detàils.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
  27. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

So Not Duplicating /Match side to side,
    Trying to make each side Look
    Identical ,,,
    I'm sure the Dan Olsen I have are same side to side , the short Dragster & Long Funny , I would have to pull out of storage to verify, The others I build where identical to each side.
    Most should know a V style block one head off set of the opposite head

28. They match and fit the car. We do it on the car to be sure. Like I said previously it gets very tight on number eight to the frame rail. The engine tips down slightly in the chassis. This is not a cookie cutter dragster or funny car frame where one size fits all. Those guys use a fixture and they all come out the same. I would have just bought a set if they would fit.

29. Jerry Newman stopped by the shop Saturday. Jerry has tuned nitro cars since the late 50s. We went over all of the new plumbing. We also started to work on the tune up. Nozzles were chosen. The pop off valves were set up. A starter and battery pack were ordered. The zoomies should be finished from the powder coater. Fire up is set for next week. I will go over the tune up details later. It's getting real close to making some noise.

30. This is what I started with. Last year's tune up. 20240317_122311.jpg