Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ray Giovannoni's '36 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Jul 16, 2009.

1. sololobo

sololobo

Swooning!! ~Sololobo~

2. barfers

barfers
    from Florida

definetly the most choice year cars period, would be wonderful if she survived!

3. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

That car is gorgeous. I seen one in street rodder a while back that had the exact same look, when i open this thread i thought it was one in the same!

4. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

What a good looking car. Classic custom style.

5. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Any more news Ryan?
    here is a photo of the interior of the car. The upholstery was done in gray and white leather. The dashboard was chopped and painted light brown.

[​IMG]

6. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

I think L.A. is correct, It was Ed Unger who did the body work,not Ray Unger as I stated. The Unger brothers both had shops in the D.C, MD area, both master metalmen

7. Nice interior, wonder if she's still is around.:)

8. eastside johnny

eastside johnny

My dad, Ray Stewart, worked on this car when he was a young man in the late 40's. Does any one recall that this gorgeous car had a name? It was called Venus,Ray G. had it titled as that. My dad did some machine work onthe flatty that was in that car. He said it was a runner! Dads still alive and living in S.C. He And I would love to know what happened to that beautiful custom.

John Stewart

9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

It is a truly beautiful custom done tastefully.I would love to see that 36 sliding down the street some day and as this thread has reveled we have a community of people who may help with this mystery project,keep em coming fellas.

10. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

Super coooooool.................Rich

11. Rikster

Rikster

The October 1949 issue of Speed Age (Thanks to David Zivot) has an article on Bud Unger, a Custom Car builder from Maryland.
    And there are some more photos of Ray's 1936 Ford in this issue.

Click on the photo to go to my blog showing several other photos of this and a few other Bud Unger Custom Cars from the 1949 issue of Speed Age.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  12. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

This one showed up around the northeast this year, clearly not the Giovanni car but styled quite similar!

[​IMG]

13. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

Bud Unger is still alive and kicking, sharp as a knife and very active at age 91. The photo above is a recent photo of Bud at a local car show that he sent me. For the last couple of months Bud and I have been working on a bio on him for Kustomrama. You can read the first version of the bio here:

http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Herbert_Unger

I still have lots of images and stories from Bud to share, but this is a start. If anyone have any additional info on Bud or the cars he restyled, please share it with us here.