Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project "AREA 51" Merc moredoor to tudor progress pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Ether,
    What are gonna do for a gastank?

2. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Th truck repair/mod must be childs play compared to what you did with the rest of the car......Had I not seen it here.........

Fantastic work.

Paco

3. I think im going to use a drop in Mustang, 68, 69 maybe. The bigger the better as im going to drive this thing!!!!! This is where im going to piss a few off but im running a GT40 5.0L EFI and AOD in it just like i did to my 64 Galaxie. I hope to do a little hide and seek under the hood to hide the EFI plenum. I need the gas milage cuz I hope to cruiz "The Mother Road" in it when its done, hopefully this summer or late fall. ETHER

4. Paul, Im still waiting for a few pics of your build!!! "WD-40", I think thats the new Candy color Shop-Of-Kolor just came out with. Im in on the first Quart!!!!

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ether. You need to do a tech post on your window stainless and vent wings. They are sexy.

Here is the '66 Mustang 16 gallon tank. I got mine from Partstrain.com for 99 bucks.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

6. The vent wings are pretty easy, I have an old set and i will try and do a "how to" after the holidays for you guys. As for the window stainless, thats one i am still trying to figure out. I have a few ideas and have tried some already with good and bad results. Ill find out what works and do a post. Hardest part, of course, is bending and stretching the original to fit the new openings and slanted b-piller. I have picked up a good bit of 49-51 ford trim to make the job a bit easier as they have some different radius'. Im going to be tig welding them and I need to get some very small tig rod. When I tig sheetmetal i use the .024 thats in my mig welder that way the filler rod is smaller than the sheet im welding, minimizes the warpage. if i could get some .024 stainless I would be in the house!!

7. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

WOW What a great post. You've succeeded in making most of us feel like we cant fabricate anything. lol J/K Thats great work and I love the way the dash looks.
    Keep it up.

8. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

very impressive

9. stragedy

stragedy

Again I hope I don't get yelled at but I hope to use a 50's olds style aircleaner to cover that ugly pos on mine up too.
    Since we spoke about it I did some more measuring and think it might actually fit. I am ordering one as soon as this christmas thing moves on, see how it goes.
    Maybe I should cut up an original one just to keep the purists happy (dodging rocks and running away)

I'll buy the WD-40 (you have it wrongby the way, it's the new DP-90) and some gas if we can take the Merc to Billetproof in Florida.

10. Wow! Makes me ashamed of my casual work ethic! Nice job

11. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Damn that's some great work. You do some absolutely amazing work.

12. Gee

Gee
    from Australia

great thread. lookin good!

laughed when i saw your 1st post.
    whered this come from?! i drew this pic about 10 years ago! :)
    [​IMG]

13. lgh1157

lgh1157

Hahaha it makes me ashamed of my work :D

14. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

You can do it. I did a tech on this not too long ago. "Trim, How to Chop/Weld Stainless trim" tech archive

15. gee, i don't remeber where i got it, but, i've had that pic on my computer for years also. it's great!

16. Not too much to brag about but a bit of an update. I had a little time this weekend as im on hold waiting for some parts for a customer car. I buttoned up some loose ends on a few little projects I had started on the merc. I fabricated a new rear left floor and made a few fixes for the right. The right floor was a bit more solid than the left so i didnt have to completely replace it. The left was all there but was very pitted to the point it looked like someone shot it with a 12 guage when you put a light under it. I also put the factory bench back in it to give me a little eye candy to try and make my mind up, buckets or bench. Right now bench is winning. Ya I even took a trip in it while test sitting!!!!! Amazing how far you can go and killer gas millage i got and never left the garage!!!!! LOL More to come, STAY TOONED!! ETHER

Attached Files:

17. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

wow....impressive work on that floor pan,,

18. Now you're just showing off!!!! LOL!

19. Not much going on thats worth taking pics of, Mostly finish work of the mods already started. Alot of trial fitting. Although probobly a bit boring to most, i did get the 49 Merc parking lights installed on "AREA 51". Thanks again to KoppaK for sending the 49 parklights, buckets, and surrounding sheetmetal at no charge all the way from Austria. There is a million ways to go when it comes to parklights and this just happens to be the choice. I am in the middle of fitting and installing a 64-66 T-bird wrap around rear seat right now and will take pics/post when i get finished. ETHER

Attached Files:

20. ether, what kind of steering wheel is that? how did you adapt it the newer style column? front end looks great by the way.

21. The wheel is off some European car, not sure what brand, that was in the boneyard one day. I milled out the center hub off the old GM wheel and cut out the center of the European wheel. The hub is just tack welded right now but will be final welded soon

22. Looks pretty good,Ether. I searched for about a year,for the buckets for my 49 parking lights. Even bought some 46-48 Ford,parking lights and tried to make them work. Finally found some buckets,but had to do some magic to make them fit. Worked out very well.

23. Ether, try measuring up the tank out of the '66 and up falcon, it is much the same as a mustang tank, has a well in it for a full sized spare, decent capacity (16 or so gallons) and the filler neck is off to the left.

24. Is that a yankee or an Australian falcon? A yank 66 falcon has a filler neck on the right rear and no well for a spare.

25. wild32hotrod

wild32hotrod

car is looking good, hey I was one of the guys that met you down in Moultrie Ga at the swap meet in Nov that had the mercury deck lid, man that car looks way cool. just thought I would check in if you need anything let me know thanks Jimmy

26. I got some time to go work on the merc this weekend. I installed the 65 Thunderbird rear seat I was given by a friend of mine. Unfortunatelly the picture of the finished frame work that the seat was supported by didnt shrink enough to add to this thread. i can email it to anyone who is interested. Im not using the bird seat surround and Im going to lenthen the armrest the full length of the seatbacks. I also installed the free front seat, it has good user duty upholstery till the car is done and I can get it redone. Thats all for now but it was a full weekend on the framework to get the seat to be supported and fit right. Stay tooned. ETHER

Attached Files:

27. sled

sled

Ether,start to look reaaaally good with some seats on...you're doing an very inspiring work...

also i'm lookin for your mexican plates,plan to send some of em to ya soon...sled

28. THANKS SLED !!! Yours is looking good too!! To hell with just a month and make 08 the year of the merc here on the hamb!!!!! ETHER

29. sled

sled

ETHER,WELCOME!!!!hey,you bet i will not stop on the firstmErc,got some others on the go soon...

probably my bug is to start to chop the 40 coupe ,wich is in great solid conds!!
    easy to chop and slam that thing done in NO time...

btw,yeah...i like the idea of the 2008 Merc kustom club!!

i'm currently workin full time on mine...also have more pix to add on already...

keep up the great work ,buddy

30. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

i have seen this car before but had never seen the progress pics and it is awsome nice job