Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Project 38: A Murderous Beginning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 14, 2012.

1. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

It's your car but I'm shedding a tear for replacing that beefy small block with a leaker and that nose down rake...........

2. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

cant wait to see how this ends up

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

He can still keep that rake with a dropped axle/reversed eye spring...
    and I hope he does! :cool:

4. deto

deto

Damn man. I wanna gut my 52 and take it back to some of its original state and put a stout 409 in it. Kudos on the huffed Y block. Thats gonna be killer.

5. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

I only currently make a 6x2 top for 6-71. I recently cast a few without any lettering on them. I have been planning on cutting a couple down and welding it into a 4x2 for a 4-71. I think it could be reblasted or polished and it would be really tough to see a seam. Pretty tough to find an original.. But they are out there..

6. BLAKE

BLAKE

7. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

BTW looks like its going to be a great rebirth...
    Can't wait to see it come to life

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Maybe Shot Peened after the welding. I seen a '56 in Detroit built for Poteet that had machined wheels that they then polished, shot peened and then anodized them to give the look of fresh magnesium. Actually turned out really really nice.

9. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

I agree. To me, what Roth did was every bit as valuable as the folks who turned out fully-blueprinted mills and jig-built chassis.

That said, best of luck on your project. I LOVE y-blocks, and I congratulate you for losing the IFS and discs, etc. Can't wait to see what happens next.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I knew Roth a little bit... Worked with him just before he died and interviewed him a number of times. And from that, I'd guess Roth would agree with my assessment 100%... and probably laugh heartily at my quote.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd never take apart a running car and re-do it. that's what happened to all my models when I was a kid, built them, then took them apart to improve them..... only one model survived to adulthood.

12. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

AND TO ADD TO THE STORY !!

PURE OLD SCHOOL, GOT ER DONE TODAY!!:eek:

[​IMG]

13. Neat!

Off question about the pinched frame, why? Is that a leftover artifact of the airbag installation or is there some reason for doing it that way. Because usually having more room for the engine and exhaust is a good thing.

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Good god man... That got there fast... and you work even faster! Don't spill the beans on your work yet. I want to save that for a dedicated post.

15. Well the cats out of the bag. You know I love the Y-Block idea.

16. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm stoked!! You're gonna be glued to that car when it's done bro.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Shit. Someone noticed. Some stupid 18 year old kid thought that would be a good idea... I don't remember the specifics, but it had something to do with the MII and track width. When I built the '38, air ride tech didn't exist. No one sold air bag kits... I bought all of the bag stuff from a truck supply joint. I kind of made up what I was doing... as I was doing it.

18. For someone who claims they are a hack, this pretty much rules...

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Uhhh... No... If you saw it all up close and personal, you'd think I was a nut case...

20. Whatevers.

So when can we sign you up for the Y-block shootout? You can go down ( or I guess over) and take on Mummert in his Hoosier Hurricane!

21. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Awesome Ryan.. Nice to see the old lady getting a make over..

22. You need to PM Kennedy about bad ass Y-block street engines. He just finished a killer 312.

What are the plans for the old bags & crap? I have an El Camino that could use an altitude adjustment.

JH

23. Elrod

Elrod

Wow! Jim is doing you up right!! He's the man to do it. I've ordered a couple ignition systems from him and he's the best guy in my book! Waiting on a crab for my coupe build now...

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

PM me an offer... I'll sell all that junk.

I wouldn't know if Jim is any good or not. He's the only ignition guy I have ever and will ever use... So I have nothing to compare him against! :)

25. So is this an actual build thread, or are we gonna have to go on a scavenger hunt?

26. rld14

rld14

You drive an ancient car on a daily basis most people already think you're a nut case. You say that like its a bad thing.....

Seeing an SBC pulled out of a Ford to be replaced with a Y block makes me very happy. I can't wait to see this car progress.

Mazel Tov!

27. Spooky

Spooky

YOWZA!! A Y-Block!?!?!
    Love that idea!!! I remember waaaaay back when on the pioneer version of the HAMB where the discussion was about the best Hot Rod engine out there and I stuck up for the Y Block.
    I love that you are attacking the 38. Call it a redux.

28. this is the first time i have seen a mustang poo front end being taken out of a car and replaced with a straight axle and it makes me smile.

29. After I begged you to sell it to me for my 36....and you said no, it was crap and I wouldn't want it....:confused: :(

wait....does that mean you like me more than Harrison...? :eek: :D