Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plymouth Valiant Bolt Pattern

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mudbog42, Jun 16, 2009.

1. My '50 Dodge Coronet has a '66 Valiant rear with the 5x4" bolt pattern. I used Trans Dapt 5x100mm to 5x4.5" wheel adapters. Part #969-3604. Have been driving the Dodge daily for the past two years with no problems.

[​IMG]

http://www.jegs.com/i/Trans+Dapt/969/3604/10002/-1

2. jobbless

jobbless

small mopar 5X4

Attached Files:

3. llonning

llonning

Never seen or heard of a '67 Dart GTS, especially with a BB in it. As far as I have ever found '68 was the first year for a 8.75 in a, yes, A body.

D/Stock would have been a competition application. Has nothing to do with factory stock.

Also not saying I am not wrong, Mopar did a lot of things that are not in any kind of book or other documentation. Just look at the brakes for any of their cars, and especially the trucks.

4. You have misread what I stated MUCH earlier. I said that NO '73 and up A-body had an 8-3/4" rear axle, period. Pre-1972 cars obviously had that as the standard rear in the HP applications. There was no "using up stock in the next year's cars" nonsense - those "leftover parts" went into the Chrysler parts system, NOT the new model year line, and especially NOT if that option or part were being discontinued. There are NO small-bolt-pattern A-bodies built after the 1972 model year, since front drum brakes were discontinued and all A-body cars from 1973 on had factory front disc brakes. It really IS that simple.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  5. I had a real 1967 Dart GTS with a 383. Also a factory '69 Dart 440 GTS. Two '68 340 GTS cars. Three '69 Dart 340 GTS cars and one '69 340 Swinger, as well. I'm quite familiar with what these cars had from the factory floor. All had 8-3/4" rears, factory. The 8-3/4" could be had as far back as the 1964 "D" Darts, far as A-bodies go. And the "D" Dart WAS a factory application, and a factory option package. So yeah, it counts as factory stock.

The '73 Dart Sport 340 I had did NOT have an 8-3/4", since it was not available after the '71 model year. The '72 340 and 360 cars had the 8-1/4" rear, which is readily ID'd by the rear inspection plate. As I mentioned, I've owned 40 of these cars over the years, and head the 1968 and 1969 A-body 440 registry.

6. daliant

daliant

my 74 dart had small bolt pattern 10' drums up front. I believe they were available up until 76

7. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Horsecrap. Would you like me to show you a picture of a 1973-76 spindle/hub combo with 4" BC? or go look up Hollander wheel #716, used till 76 with a 4" BC... and Mopar offered drum on A bodies till 77 when they went to the crappy Aspen/Volare cars.

We make disc conversions for both the 1960-72 9" drum and 1965-72 10" drum "A" bodies. We use a Toyota Previa rotor (needs to be BP redrilled) as nobody like NAPA or Autozone offers a 5 on 4" BP rotor.

8. 4 on 5 pattern, b-body axles will fit with no mods. You can still find the rims I have a set of 13's at the house and do come across the 14's in the junkyard. A lot of things interchange amongst the A-body families, the black car in the photo has a 78 overdrive manual out of a volare and uses 68 a body 4 speed linkage. The car is a factory V8 car, it now has a 318 in it. I have a 8 3/4 out of a 66 A-100 that will be cut down to fit using a 489 case with 3:55 gears. There is a website called For A Bodies Only has alot of good info.....Mopar to ya..........
    [​IMG]

9. I've owned a shitload of these. I worked for Chrysler, in the parts department, in the late '70s when these cars were plentiful. If you want to argue that, fine. I know what I've owned, and I know A-bodies. You want to call "horseshit", hey, knock yourself out. You have the right to be wrong.

10. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

That is well said. www.forabodiesonly.com

11. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Really? - how do you explain this? Note the info stamp on the hub (we put it there 3 years ago when we pulled it from a 75 Dart as a sample), along with the engineering scale showing a 5 on 4" bolt pattern (and the dinky pilot specific to Mopar SBP). Of course Hollander is wrong, as are my NAPA books showing 73-76 specific front wheel cylinders and front drums with separate part numbers from earlier years...

"Facts are stubborn things..." John Adams 1770

Attached Files:

12. Also Mopar Action has done several articles on the the geometry of the different spindles that you can use for a disc brake swap, including the F and M body, they argue that the change is negligible at best. I plan on using whatever I can drag out of the scrapyard and keep my car all MOPAR.........

Not to stir the poop, the rims on my 64 Valiant, which are small bolt pattern 14 inch steel wheels came off a 76 Dart, I know I took them off myself.........

With Mopar you just never know........

13. You are correct, a D/Dart had a 8.75 in it, and the first year for the A-Body 8.75 is 1965 in the 273 Barracudas and Darts.

1973 was the first year for big bolt Disc Brakes on A Body's, but the drum brake cars still had 4" bolt patterns - I had a 73 Scamp with 4" wheels on it, and a 74 Dart Sport with 4" as well.

One thing you learn if you are observant with Mopars is, never say never. There were some '72 440 Six Pack cars built for example.

14. From the factory my '65 Dodge Dart GT was 5 on 4 with 13" wheels. I installed a Master Power Brake disc brake kit on the front and had the rear axle flanges redrilled to 5 on 4.5. I then installed 14" Mopar rallye wheels from a '72 Satellite Sebring with Diamond Back redlines. Lowered the front slightly on Mopar Performance torsion bars which are a one-step upgrade from stock. Used 1" blocks to lower the rear. Result in attached photos.

Attached Files:

15. TexasDart

TexasDart

Now that is a fine look car....:)

Where in Texas are you located. We need to get our cars together...

16. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I used to have all the Mopar performance bullitins Mopar did in the early 70s.One of the bullitins was how to Rally and Road Race Car Preparation your abody.It had information about building gas tank shields and setting up your suspension.One thing it listed was part numbers for converting your abody from 4 to 4 1/2 bolt pattern.It listed the numbers for the rear axle shafts and the front rotors part #2836148 rotors and #2513750-m and 253751-m axles.Also needed were 2534173 drums for the rear.This stuff was all bolt on.I always wondered if anyone ever ordered this stuff.The bullitin i believe was printed in 1971.I knew a lot of Mopar people in the early seventies and i had the only copy of the bullitin anyone knew about.When i had to sell all my cars 6 years ago i donated all my early seventies bullitins with my original Direct Connection jacket to the Chrysler Musuem.I sent them 3 big boxes of very early stuff.I hope they still have it.

17. all this A body talk is giving me a woody thinkin about my first "S" cuda with that four speed and posi 8 3/4....and factory tach...:)

18. blownfish

blownfish
    from St.Louis

I don't post on here very often but I do visit the site quite frequently and you are right on the money with that statement.

The 4" bolt circle was on all 1972 and older A-Bodies except the 68 Hemi cars

The 4" bolt circle was available up till 1976, and 1973 was the first year for the 4 1/2" bolt circle with the large disc brakes, not 72.

The 73 and newer V-8 cars had the 4 1/2" bolt circle with disc brakes as standard equipment, 9" drums with 4" bolt circle was "standard" on the slant 6 cars but the 4 1/2" disc was an "option" and the most common on them.

You can find this info in any quality shop manual or Hollander interchange book.

If you own a Mopar A-Body, you need to sign up on www.forabodiesonly.com there are more helpful and informative people on that site than any other site I've been on.

19. themachine

themachine

HEY i got a 64 Plymouth Valiant i put a 64 barracuda front clip on mine bolts right in!!

and yes its 5 on 4 bolt pattern its really easy to do the conversion

im running a 413 MAX WEDGE MOTOR just waiting to set it in

let me know if you need any parts i might have some extra stuff lying around

i have 4 14x7 small bolt pattern wheels that will fit your car if intrested let me know!!!!

jeff peterson

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  20. Shit that gives me the motivation to change the front on my Valiant, I already have a set of 64 Cuda fenders, just need the grill. The more I look at the valance opening I think something like the original grills longitudinal pieces fabbed in that open space would look cool ...............or maybe teeth.........

21. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Please tell me you are not running the weak 9" OEM spindle...

The 9 was a pretty lame forging - If you are, please swap it out for an aftermarket disc spindle or ten inch spindle at the minimum...

22. themachine

themachine

yeah im switching it out hhaha i have the disc conversion and big bolt pattern now no worries

23. themachine

themachine

by the way you dont have to switch the fenders out,

just the grill i only did cause my front to fenders were banged up grill fits fine

24. 4 inch. Cragar made them and i have bought them as recently as 10 years ago (approx) They are .032" smaller than modern Mopar van wheels etc . Any machinist worth his salt with a decent sized milling machine could run the bolt holes in .032" towards center on each hole for not too much $ . And dont anyone get going on how that would not be safe. There is more than enough meat in any modern cast wheel for such a minor machining operation. Last time I went the other way putting cragar 4 inch on 5s on a strut front end for a race car. (Dynasty Struts and spindles)
    If that doesnt suit you (and I cant imagine a good reason why it wouldnt )Stockton will make you anything you want.
    Don

25. Well the fenders on my car toast and I had bought them for very cheap, had never used them because I like the fender swoop on the 64 valiants, more than the more closed swoop of the 65 models.....

26. themachine

themachine

here is a new update on mine i just put some new wheels on

[​IMG][/IMG]

27. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

I remembered this old post, and recently saw that yo ucan get Cragar SS mags still in this bolt spacing.
    5 x 4"

Not the most up-to-date wheels, but there are very, very few wheels you can buy in this pattern.

I am looking at a 1964, so I looked into it and askked on the Mopar sites...look into www.forabodiesonly.com

There is one category in the forums, "Early A-Body Discussions".

April, 2010:
    American racing says on the phone they will custom make the Torq Thrust IIs with that spacing...(more expensive) but I don't know the backspacing/offset you'd need.
    Not a big Mopar guy.

28. BIG DON

BIG DON
    from altoona pa

Subaru same bolt pattern

29. mopar92

mopar92

I’m searching for some Mopar stuff and came across this oldie. You are mistaken on this one. I am the second owner of an extremely original 1973 Duster. It’s got a 198 slant, 4 wheel drums.... and ..... small bolt pattern. V8 cars got disc and big bolt patterns. But that’s a fact. If they were drums... they were small bolt patterns.

30. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Not true - 1965 thru 72 disc were small bolt pattern too.