Register now to get rid of these ads!

please tell me what my car is ? have you ever seen one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RicksRods, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Buzznut

Buzznut

It's definitely a piece of rodding history....looks like a decent job done a while ago. I'm going to subscribe just to see where this goes...

2. the_mick

the_mick
    from piqua ohio

That's where I ve seen it before.... thanks it was bugging me the last few days!

3. Buzznut

Buzznut

LOL...could be, and in THAT case Barris very well could have built it.

4. the_mick

the_mick
    from piqua ohio

there it is I told you I have seen the car before

Attached Files:

5. I'm diggin this, in 67 dad worked in so cal for a dude named Micky Thompson an I seen this car however Ive only seen a glimps , it was allways tarped. M.T Long Beach Caikf... check it out

6. the_mick

the_mick
    from piqua ohio

Go figure bring out the 101 dalmations and we start getting clues to who may have actually built it, not saying Mickey thompson did but I would contact someone who worked there back in 67 and see if there was anything to support badboy here!

7. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

thats funny as hell my 17yr old said that same thing about the 101 Dalmatians when i first started reading the posts...

8. 48buickkid

48buickkid

its a bugatti bantam hybrid.....anyways i could see this thing in metallic blue or red white tuck and roll really deep dish chrome reverse wheels on the back and normal chrome reverse on the front a chopped carson style top? lastly needs a hood but open sides and 12 port gmc six with 6 carbs build it into the sporty show rod it could have been and drive the shit out of it just my two cents

9. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Not seeing any 32 Plymouth parts on it,rule that out.

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

It's cool as hell, that's all I know. Kinda Dr.Suess-like. I don't know about the top, if you lose it it takes away some of the funky weirdness. Maybe chop it two inches?
    Definetly needs a hood.

11. RicksRods

RicksRods
    from Ohio

if I chopped it 2 inches then I have to shorten my neck HA HA HA there is no head room now

12. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Just cut your hair man...Afros are so 70's....Hahaha :D

13. 52Poncho

52Poncho

14. RicksRods

RicksRods
    from Ohio

I did a little chopping with Photo shop and made it into a roadster and not to sure I like it

15. RicksRods

RicksRods
    from Ohio

what do you think?

Attached Files:

16. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

The photo shop of the car as a roadster looks good, but I would be thinking of keeping the original 50's rod alive the way it was built back in the day.
    I would probably want to keep the roof, forget about a hood, and get a good enough looking vintage engine to put in there for the open engine look to work for you.
    I'm thinking a dressed out nailhead.

17. losthubcap

losthubcap
    from Upstate NY

The trunk, looks like an old humpback deck lid turned 180 degree's ?

18. it sure does look like a humpback deck lid but 90 degrees. the gut who built it was pretty clever.

19. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

<LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sure does... Looks like a bottlecap opener where the keyhole goes...

20. Build it Bugatti style...that's what it was meant to be. It doesn't look like it was meant to be a Hot Rod...

21. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Back in the 50's custom roadsters were the rage, just look in the old Popular Mechanics books, they were showing you how to build them. I have own a couple in my years. This car you have is for sure a backyard/small garage custom build, but not a Barris. I can see Plymouth body parts along with Ford and who knows what else. That was the deal, you went to the scrap yards and bought what was there and modified it. This was before kit cars, and the rage after the war was small roadsters. I like it and would put 50's wheels on it and enjoy it, do not paint it a bright color.

22. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Send pics to barris and he can verify if he built it or not. He is pretty cool about stuff like that imo. I went to his shop a few years back and him and I spoke for about 3 hours about different mods and how to's. Such a great guy. I expected him to be mr.hollywood. I even got to sit in the bat mobile.. "To the bat cave!"

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

23. dart165

dart165

Well, I can't say i have any insight into what this is/was, but I can tell ya what I think it could be! :D

[​IMG]

I think the low and long proportions lend themselves to an indy car inspired rod, complete with knock off wires, white letter Pirellis, & hood straps. The front and rear fenders would both need some work, both by bobbing, and a bit of massaging to get the shapes to flow better. I've shorted up the distance from cowl to grille, which still leaves it about a half mile long, and added a hood. Power comes from a "function driven" flatty. In other words, the dress up stuff would be to a minimum, though if it's finned for performance? Hell yeah. I've lobbed off the roof, which looks unnecessary, and straightened out the belt line. Some might argue that the dipping belt is race car-ish, though in this case, given how sectioned the car is already, keeping it hurts the speed of the body side. Windshield is angled back, and flat. Lastly that humpback of Notre Dame deck lid needs some reshaping. It has no flow with the rest of the car and aids in the broken look of it.

...Just my $.02 :)

24. RicksRods

RicksRods
    from Ohio

WOW dart165 , you are very talented and have a great concept on designs I would love that , But I do Not have the kind of talent it would take to do the work , BUT I think I may finish my Rod and sell it to buy something more of the car you redid mine into ,,,I like the more traditional roadster with the staight belt lines , bobed fenders and open sided hood

25. x2.

26. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Maybe an injected early hemi and chrome steelies would take it back to the '50s or '60s time frame.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks dart165, that helps put the car in a much better light. Bob

28. RicksRods

RicksRods
    from Ohio

wow Love the Steelies and HEMI , that is awesome all I need now is PAINT " HINT HINT HINT "

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

lol I'll see what I can do later, but gotta work on my F1 today. Any colors in particular? I'm no paint wizard but I can muddle up something.

30. RicksRods

RicksRods
    from Ohio

well here is where everyone yells at me , I was thinking yellow like Milners Coupe