Register now to get rid of these ads!

Photo album ---Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by twochops, May 8, 2006.

1. KoppaK

KoppaK

Have you got any more for us TC? This is kind of unreal for a Limey junked up on Kustoms.

2. twochops

twochops

HR1940---OUR paths must have crossed many times,I showed a1957 Ford in
    Detroit and the midwest from 1959-70.
    TWOCHOPS

Attached Files:

3. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Thats not the Hirohata car or that of Bugarian. You could have never fit stock beltline trim under the rear glass on the Hirohata car.The roof on this car was higher than both Hirohatas and Bugarians.The car pictued was from Texas and even had Texas plates......On another note. The John Cassabaun "Torpedo from Toledo was just restored in the last 5 years in Florida. THere was also a semi clone of the car from Ohio based on a tudor. However when they "restored the car they stupidly repaired the awful roof line and magnificent 1/4 windows with a rear roof section from a tudor. What a fuckin shame. The car had the best coupe 1/4 windows ever bar none!

54delray likes this.
  4. KoppaK

KoppaK

Got any pics of it 00

5. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Yeah,the same pic. By the way,unlike the car in the pic,the HIrohata car had the bottom corners of the rear window trim slightly radiused and the corners were much closer to the beltline.Now Im editing this...I just looked,I dont have the pic but my friend does..

54delray likes this.
  6. Rikster

Rikster

TWOCHOPS, thanks for sharing those great album photo's. Wonderful custom car history material. All photo's where great but one in particular caught my attention.(below)

[​IMG]

I have been looking for more photo's and more information about this custom for some time now. I have seen that custom in the background of several photo's but never found out who's custom it was nor if it was ever finished or not.

It appears to be based on a 41-48 Ford coupe with 49 Caddy rear fenders and 49 Oldsmobile front fenders where added. The front fenders where added at a much higher position than the original fenders making the need for a very low hood much like the one on Jack Stewart's Ayala/Barris built 41 Ford.
    The chopped top on this custom is very attractive and seems to be very well done. Could this perhaps be an older custom that was brought (back) to Barris for an update with newer fenders in the mid 50's to make it posebly competitive in the show car scene again? Seeing it parked next to the owner abandoned sectioned 51 Ford does make me feel very possitive... the sectioned shoebox was scraped after the owner never got back to Barris anymore... has the other custom folowed the same path???

I hope somebody has some more info about this custom.

The front (fenders) can be seen in this photo:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  7. Nostalgic Dave

Nostalgic Dave

The photo showing a carson topped Merc titled "drag strip - Shelton, Washington" is the Barris built Ralph Testa car, which is still around these days in Washington state.

[​IMG]

54delray likes this.
  8. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is the story behind the Lincoln?? In one of the Barris custom books
    that was printed years ago. They had a couple of pictures of the sled and it
    was not finished. Anyone seen finished pictures of theis wild Kustom?

Grat post thanks for posting the pics!!!!!!

Happy Trails,

Mick

Attached Files:

9. twochops

twochops

The story goes that Tom Liechty saw a sign in the window of a business that said we build choppers. He asked them if they could chop his 54 Chevy -- their reply was -- we never worked on cars, but we'll try.
    After the chop Tom went wild (It became the Golden Penny)
    TWOCHOPS

Attached Files:

10. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

thats actually not a lincoln, but a 1950 mercury....in the Barris Techniques book series, it mentions that the car was built for two guys known only as the twins...the car was customized, primed, and picked up by the twins and was never seen again....

11. twochops

twochops

If you mean the primer hardtop -- it's a 50 Merc chopped and sectioned by Barris. It's owned by the "Twins" from Texas. Nobody knows if it was finished.----------------TWOCHOPS

CHOPMERC---YOU FASTER THAN ME ,THANKS ANYWAY.
    TWOCHOPS

12. KoppaK

KoppaK

Just out of interest TC how many of these old pics have you got, I could look at this stuff all day. My normally short attention span is being stretched beyond belief here, you are one very lucky guy to have these and a very generous one to share them. Thanks.

13. Me too!

14. Harms Way

Harms Way

Great pictures TwoChops, But I don't ever remember this Merc. being called the Unicorn. I remember it as the "Velopie(sp?) Brothers Merc." Jack Picknic owned the car in the 70's and I think he still owned it when it burnt. This car was in the first Detroit Autorama in 53, and won 2nd place, if you look really close you can see it in this picture,.... it's in the back row facing the wall next to the MG, then for kicks take a look to the right of that same row at the Buick and other Merc farther down,......... kind'a like old home week huh ?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not to mention Frankies Roadster right there in the front,.... I lived 3 houses down the street from Bob Kaiser, next time I am down state I'll stop and knock on his door,...... see if he has any pictures from back in the day.

Oh yeah !,.... and you Michigan guys should check out this sight
    www.thehotrodsofdearborn.com

Ranchero59 likes this.
  15. twochops

twochops

HARMSWAY-----Tom Liechly owned it when it burned(adding gas to a hot lawnmower) THANKS for the great photo you added.
    TWOCHOPS

16. Harms Way

Harms Way

Welllll,..............
    Seeing you liked that one,...... here's the other end of the show.
    [​IMG]

Hey TwoChops,.... where in Mi. did you grow up ? belong to any clubs ?,
    I lived in Ecorse until "58" when my folks moved us to Wayne.

if you run across any other pictures of this 36 coupe,... I am looking for more, please let me know,.... Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Frank Taubitz's 36 5/W ,... won 3rd at the first Autorama ( it had filled quarter windows)

17. twochops

twochops

Harms Way----WOW love those old B&W-------Lived in Kalamazoo,now
    live in Scotts MI and Venice FL.---I'll post some B&W of my 57 Ford
    friday you may have seen it in Detroit.
    TWOCHOPS

18. You guys!

I'm almost out of breath! the pictures are great. So much history - Love it.

I have theise two pics of "Korky's" '54 Ford "The Parisiene" in its current condition. Got them from the present owner, when he was trying to sell it in Hemmings for $75.000.

Thought you might find it interesting!

Attached Files:

19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The Golden Penny...wow, i think i just had a seizure. 60's styling at it's..well...it's some real 60's styling. I really like this profile shot a lot. The shop is heavy, but the lines are smooth and i like the transition of the glass to the rear. Bel Air trim and bubble skirts are a great look and the shrouded lakes add a great low effect. As a proponent of east coast style and continental kits myself, I don''t much like the effect that that kit adds on the 54. However, the extra length does the car well, especially with the chop. The same effect could have been had with extended quarters with packard tails or similar and would have been much more pleasing. bad ass car though without a doubt.

Anthony, didn't Joe Sulpy build a clone of the Parisenne in recent years? I remember seeing that car at the Rumblers NYC show a couple years ago

Attached Files:

20. Anthony, didn't Joe Sulpy build a clone of the Parisenne in recent years? I remember seeing that car at the Rumblers NYC show a couple years ago

Yes he did!

Attached Files:

21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Very cool, thanks Klaus. Sulpy did a nice job with that car, like looking at a time warp. I can't even imagiine the amount of work it took to turn one into the other.

22. Yeah I know right. When I saw the car the first time in NY my heart almost stopped, cause I thought it was the real "Parisiene" Joe is an amazing custombuilder and a very nice guy.

Here it is from the Hoedown 05

Attached Files:

23. twochops

twochops

When Barris displayed the X.P.A.K.- 400, a ground cloth was placed under the car so when it was running it protected the spectators by absorbing the air blast, It was placed on chairs during set-up so the cloth could be put in place.
    TWOCHOPS

Attached Files:

24. Harms Way

Harms Way

Huh,......
    It's odd that you all brought up the "The Parisienne" cause it's on Ebay at this very moment,..... buy it now $65 LARGE,.........

[​IMG]
    Item #4637560690

25. Harms Way

Harms Way

This seemed to be a smokin deal on ebay a couple weeks ago,... everybody thought it was to good to be true so the guy didn't even get the opening bid of 5 grand, it was a old ISCA car with history and some early magazine coverage,......(don't mean to redirect the thread but this just amazed me )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. mikes51

mikes51

That looks like George in the first pic. Those are the first non commercial pics I've ever seen of that car. Awesome pics. Keep 'em coming!

27. twochops

twochops

YES----Thats George working too, photos taken in Detroit.
    TWOCHOPS

28. twochops

twochops

Starbird 1961--------also 1957 T-Bird built by Starbird in Detroit 59-60
    TWOCHOPS

Attached Files:

29. KoppaK

KoppaK

Will you stop that photo of the whole page thing, you're killing me here :)

30. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

WOW ! Two chops ! that's a very kool kollection of pics ! :eek:

Thanks for sharing...feel free to post everyone of 'em ! Kustom threads don't die !:D

It was a real pleasure to see all those kustom from the past and in particular The Twins Merc i've only seen in the "Kustom techniques" books and asking myself what it became !

Hope to see more about that one and the "mystery ford" that rikster is searching about ! ;)