Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods PARTS THAT YOU USED ON OTHER CARS IN THE PAST THAT YOUR USING TODAY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 31, 2016.

1. It's a interesting piece,BTW,I'm 66 years old and have never smoked.HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. I have a few bits bouncing around the garage. The original shifter that I took out of the '37 Plymouth is slated for the roadster pickup project. I have the SBC that was in Von Franco's Frankentiki in the corner, waiting for a project. Then there's the.......

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. was able to bring some of my stash with me when we moved south, but gave most of it to two close friends and they added it to their stash.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. I used a old bent piece of VW running board stainless trim and fabricated covers for the tops of the pull straps in the Ranch Wagon. HRP

[​IMG]

5. badvolvo

badvolvo

front wheels on my 36 chevy are off of my 70 superbee i had in the early 80's. I didnt know i still had them, found them in Dad's barn with wore out slicks. a few days of polish and the old ET slots look pretty sweet. The 36 has recycled parts throughout, many trips to the barn to build it.
    I think every car i have built consisted of many parts from the barn, i thought that's how all hotrods were built!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

The rear trans cross member I installed in my Dad's 55 Chevy had been laying back in the back fence row for as long as I could remember. It was a stock cross member for a '69 Nova with a 350th that was modified to fit a 400th. A plate was made at the Vo-tech school machine shop to fit the 400 and then it was taken down to hall to the welding class and welded on the original cross member. After they finished it went back up the hall to auto mechanics where my Dad installed it back in his 69 Nova. When he sold the Nova later it was sold minus the engine and trans and the cross member was stored in the old fence row. When I was adding a cross member to the 55 to support the Muncie I had a lot of Nova/Camaro ones to choose from, but what better than this one with history? I have many other parts on cars that I have built that I cannot part with. Whether it was the effort to track down and purchase, the cost to purchase, the part I had to trade to get it, or the history I have had with it I just cannot let it go even if I am selling the car it is currently on.

Nailhead Jason and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. A part that was removed from a previous car that will not be used in a future project is the door hinge gas pedal my father-in-law pirated from a old barn on a fishing trip,it seems he was on vacation in 1973 and the gas pedal broke on the old wagon so being a old farm boy and resourceful he spied a old ram-shackled barn and pried a door hinge from what was left of the door.

The wagon still had this quirky gas pedal when I started taking it apart to rebuild it.

1. I guess Clyde may have been a little ahead of time in the RR movement! :D HRP

54floor-vi.jpg

8. These were on my 63 1/2 Falcon Sprint back in the 60's and later on theyain were on the wagon when my father-in-law owned it,someday I will use them again on a future project. HRP

[​IMG]

falcongeorge likes this.
  9. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a small block chevy and t350 that came with my '53 Chevy pickup about 40 years ago. When it came out of the truck it went into my brother-in-laws car for a few years and then I got it back. Currently in use in an off topic car.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. I have a small blue metal flake steering wheel that has been in a couple of cars in the past,it's hanging on the wall awaiting it's turn again.HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a similar pair of Fentons for the front of my '65.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. 327Eric

327Eric

I have the old dixco tach that was in my high school 66 c 10 that dad got
    Out of a junk box in thd 60s, in my 59 el camino, a pair of 8.5 inch slot mags i got in 1990, that will go on my 65 c10, and a low mileage gear drive, i bought in 88.that will live on as a memory of high school cool, in a box in the garage.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Not exactly a part but I have a small blue swim flipper that was hand made hanging from the rear view mirror of my old beater deuce,it spent time in my Model A pickup,my 40 sedan,my 39 convertible and my deuce pickup.

It evolved over a joke. HRP

14. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For me the parts that I have kept the longest and have the most meaning are the pair of Mickey Thompson 15 x 8-1/2 five spokes that I got from my dad. He had them on a '66 Bel Air when I was a kid. Later, when I was 18 or 19 he gave them to me to put on the '73 Firebird that we built to go street racing. I sold that car a few years later and for the last thirty years or so they have moved with me from place to place and now hold a place of honor sitting on a shelf in my garage. I am currently working on a '47 Ford Tudor gasser and I have seriously considered redrilling the Ford Exploder rear axle to accept the Chevy bolt pattern just so I can use these wheels.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. That would be cool and a tribute to your dad. HRP

Thor1 likes this.
  16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Dear old parts...Man, did I have a parade of those.
    Still have my old Bell 3 spoke since I bought it for my High school roadster. (channeled '30 over Deuce rails)
    Also kept the S-W 160 MPH speedo, it's in my '55 F100 now.
    My '46 Coupe I built in 1962 (671 V-belts driven pump on Joe Reath 331" Hemi) was traded off for a '35 Slantback, BUT!
    I kept the dash mounted red oval Sun tach, the original Moon gas pedal, hand pressure pump & Moon 2.5 gal. tank. Moon pedal and Sun tach are in my F100, along with the original S-W gauges, in an engine turned cluster wife Joey did for me, inside the F100 bezel she had chromed.
    "Hey Mike, what's with the old racing wheel and Moon pedal? Even the tach's outa style..."
    I hafta tell 'em: "Makes it a 'familiar office'."
    Just like sitting in that '46...only thing missing is that Lovely Chrysler! That's the 'castrate syndrome'...

My 354 Hemi was gifted to me when my friend Dick Powell (famed boat racer) passed, left it to me in his will. It's coupled up to the LaSalle that came out of a famous '29 Hiboy that was 'updated' to 350/350! I got that from Brian Burnet in '78. The hemi/LaSalle was in my '27 Hiboy, then removed to go in my truck.
    But...Good sense prevailed, and my truck still has the SBC. 'Freshened up'.
    Truck has had SBC's in it since '58. I don't think it remembers the Y block...
    I'm second owner.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have 3 B&M Quik Clicks here, two of which have been in previous cars, a SW cable tach and DC tach drive RB distributor that was in my old Duster, hell, I have the whole motor that was in my old duster, and a b-body 8 3/4 with a sure grip and 4.11s that was in my old satellite, a B&M series 60 that was in my Duster, aluminum slots from the satellite, there's literally just stacks of shit from previous cars here.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. The edelbrock chevy small block intake that is on my 51 chevy has spent time on several of our cars. It started on my 64 nova then made its way onto the 29 roadster, then onto my 64 Skylark for awhile and now onto my 51 chevy. It was the first one I had with an oil fill tube in it. That was almost 20 years ago!

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have an old 14" grant steering wheel that I have had since I was a kid.
    It's a foam covered wheel that is rare because it has finger bumps on it.

I'm using it on my RPU as I have had it for so many years and used it on a bunch of different rides.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

All of this is on/in my '57 Chevy pickup now: 350 SBC from '74 Blazer, Sun Super Tach II from '85 Ranger, AC oil pressure gauge from '52 Willys (Jeep style) pickup. Yet to come to truck is a Chevy truck 12 bolt rear end from the Blazer.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I never used it before , but doe's my Grandpa's Shiftknob count ? it's in my 29 Business Coupe IMG_0604.JPG

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. The mufflers on my roadster, the car in my avatar, are the same Midas mufflers that I had on my first roadster 40 years ago, that was Cadillac powered. I had an engine problem, pulled the engine, then someone came along and made me an offer for the roadster that was too good to refuse. I kept the mufflers, and a few miscellaneous parts. I put these same mufflers on my current roadster about 17 years ago. Remember the old man in his model A in the Midas ads ? I may be him.

23. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Bought a 62 F-100 4x4 40 years ago. Guy I bought it from said it had a 390. Fast truck, off road with a few beers resulted in a waded up F-100.
    Kept the engine and scrapped the rest of the poor truck. 10 years later, I disassembled it and found out it was a 428.... Which explained why the 62 whipped a lot of ass in the 2 years I had it. Ran the 428 in a 76 F-250 for many years and , now , 40 years later it is under the hood of 58 Fairlane 500 2 dr hardtop. Still only .030 over and God only knows how many miles are on it!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

If and when the AV8 in my avatar ever finally hits the road, it will have a heater switch that was in the '47 Merc pickup I had in the late 60's, a 12 to 6 volt reducer that powered the Aooga horn in my '55 Fairlane back in 1966 and a two carb fuel block that was in the '54 Hudson Jet stock car I raced from '73 to '75. Little shit is easy to hang onto and has memories just as good as the bigger stuff!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

002.jpg I drive my little 1914 Oldsmobile "beater-jalopy" most days (originally sat in a barn for 50 years at my grandfathers house, he bought 2nd hand in 1930), while space in the garage is for my other car projects...it's made up of oddball parts mostly: The seat is from my grandfathers 1950 Willys Jeep (I learned to double-clutch in it)...as well as the extended headlight brackets I made, that were originally brake & clutch pedal arms on the same jeep....Steering wheel is from my mothers old 1960 Chevy Impala...door handles are from a rusty sedan body I hauled outta the woods 30 years ago and hauled around in the back of my pickup for a year on my Naval Base!--- Dash gauge cluster is from my dad's old, wrecked 1950 Ford pickup I removed before it was hauled away, and hubcaps from the 1959 Studebaker that was on my 1st car that sat in the blackberry bushes behind my grandfathers garage before it was given to me as a 'learn to fix it' car....and the shifter is from my old 65' Mustang....while the radiator is from my old work-related 66' Bronco.
    The little car is fun, but it's a mish-mash of all kinds of parts....don't know exactly what to call it 'officially'....just a home made hotrod made from other cars I used to drive from the past, that never left the garage.
    My other cars are a bit more 'refined' with their builds...but I still have a special spot for the little roadster Olds...just a hoot to drive, no matter what it is.;):cool:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    HOTRODPRIMER and Okie Pete like this.
  26. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'm rebuilding my '55 as a hot rod shop truck with a blown Stovebolt engine. When I managed to locate a '54-'55 1st Series clock accessory, I now had a place to mount a tach. I didn't want a clock, just the clock nacelle to mount the tach in. Turned around and used the clock to fill a hole in the '35 Chevy glove box door mounted in my '37 Chevy truck dash.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER, Okie Pete and Ford52PU like this.
  27. The 351C that is in the '32 RPU that I am just finishing up has been with me longer than my wife. I got it in a labor trade - didn't really need it, but how often does someone offer you a 4 bolt main, 4V head genuine BOSS 351 for doing a brake job and pulling the motor out of a car? This was in about 1986. I rebuilt it and put it in a 67 Mustang that I was doing in a Trans Am race car style for the street - Pro Touring before there was Pro Touring. I got it up and running but never finished the car. A guy wanted to car as a roller to go Vintage Trans Am racing with, so I pulled it out and stuck it in the garage. It had about 3 miles on it. I though it would be cool in my 31 sedan, but it just didn't look right, so I swapped it our for a 302. I then put a 6-71 on it with a 2 Port Hilborn and stuck it in my Anglia. But before I got very far, we found out the car was the Blair's Speed Shop B/Gas car, and decided to restore it to as built, with a BBC - so out came the Cleveland again. I set it in my '34 Coupe, but got an offer to sell the car but again with a 302, so out it came again. Now it's been 30 years, it is in it's 5th car and it will finally really get used!
    Now the trans behind it? It's a Top Loader 4 speed that was in my '32 Coupe for years before I sold it and the guy wanted an auto matic. LOL
    Oh, and the Shift knob in the car was custom made by KIRK! and features a St. Christopher Medal that I have had since 1966!

falcongeorge likes this.
  28. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I still have lots of parts that were put on builds and then taken off when I changed my idiers about stuff
    The part that means the most to me is the boat steering wheel off my tub. When it went out to California the new owner had replaced it with a T one. I asked him what he was going to do with the old wheel and he said send it back to you. Was like getting the car back to me in a way. It will never leave my sight.May find its way on another car if I have time to do another from scratch hot rod,but will come off if it gets sold.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. upspirate

upspirate

Old style Swirl glass shift knob and Holley 350 carb from my 29 roadster.
    I have the old 3 spoke wheel from my 27 roadster for something...not sure what yet.
    When I totaled my 34 Dodge and bought it back from State Farm, it provided a wealth of parts.
    3 Wheels,3 tires, radio, speakers SW gauges,turn signals, and battery went on my 36 Chev P/U.
    3rd brake light , Tear drop tailights
    I still have an EZ wiring kit on the shelf that was going in the Dodge,New set of VDO classic gauges from that redo also
    350 Chev from the Dodge will go into my Model-A build
    New 600 Holley that was going on it
    M/T valve covers were on it too
    33-34 Dodge taillights & headlight stands from a 33 Dodge P/U project I never used
    Reverb and spinner hubcaps from my Brother that he ran back in the '60's
    New Sparkomatic under-dash FM radio and Allstate clamp-on turn signal switch,and
    chrome air cleaner I got from him also that was on his old 51 Chev
    I'm sure my 62 yr old brain has forgot many more things out there in the garage!!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took the stick out of one of Dads old Chevy truck he scraped out. With a little welding and a trip to the lathe I made a long stick for a T5 that will go into a project. [​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.