Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting new ca license plates black

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cwheelin, Mar 14, 2012.

1. deto

deto

Thats what I got on my ride, but its a felony...

2. KIRK!

KIRK!

And again....

V C Section 4463 False Evidences and Uses of Documents Licenses Devices Placards or Plates

False Evidences and Uses of Documents, Licenses, Devices, Placards, or Plates

4463. (a) A person who, with intent to prejudice, damage, or defraud, commits any of the following acts is guilty of a felony and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by imprisonment ( )1 pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 of the ( )2 Penal Code for 16 months or two or three years, or by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year:

(1) Alters, forges, counterfeits, or falsifies a certificate of ownership, registration card, certificate, license, license plate, device issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or permit provided for by this code or a comparable certificate of ownership, registration card, certificate, license, license plate, device comparable to that issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or permit provided for by a foreign jurisdiction, or alters, forges, counterfeits, or falsifies the document, device, or plate with intent to represent it as issued by the department, or alters, forges, counterfeits, or falsifies with fraudulent intent an endorsement of transfer on a certificate of ownership or other document evidencing ownership, or with fraudulent intent displays or causes or permits to be displayed or have in his or her possession a blank, incomplete, canceled, suspended, revoked, altered, forged, counterfeit, or false certificate of ownership, registration card, certificate, license, license plate, device issued pursuant to Section 4853, special plate, or permit.

(2) Utters, publishes, passes, or attempts to pass, as true and genuine, a false, altered, forged, or counterfeited matter listed in paragraph (1) knowing it to be false, altered, forged, or counterfeited.

Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 417, Stats. 2008. Effective January 1, 2009.
    Amended Sec.3, Ch. 415, Stats. 2009. Effective January 1, 2010.
    Amended Sec. 600, Ch. 15, Stats. 2011. Effective July 1, 2011.
    The 2011 amendment added the italicized material, and at the point(s) indicated, deleted the following:
    1. "in "
    2. "state prison "

Maybe people reading the vehicle code started the myth.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  3. KIRK!

KIRK!

Obviously it will be up to the cop and judge's discretion. Leaving your fate in their hands is your choice.

I've had good luck in the past with "aftermarket" plates.

4. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

California has a YOM lic plate program, you just buy two good plates for your year car, and take them to DMV. I think it's cheaper that personal plates, but it works the same way. It's easy.

5. deto

deto

Oh... I also rent a room with from the clerk at the sheriffs department, so in that sense I'm playing my hand with the fake plates

6. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

i've seen it done many times, it's pretty big in the mopar crowd, from what i've been told there is a company out there that will paint your new personal plate to look like the old back and yellow california plates, i just looked a bunch on photos trying to come up with an example but i dcouldn't find many that i could copy and paste here but i did find one,
    sorry Mr. 65 bel1 but i'll see you at the Mopar SPRING FLING

Attached Files:

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True they sometimes let things pass that should warrant a ticket but I don't think the law in any state is going to go for an altered plate. And that is going to stick out like a sore thumb. It's like waving a flag in front of them saying "Hey, I'm stupid and want a ticket".

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

Wait, so I shouldn't do that?

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

Exactly...:)
    Funny though how many guys that don't even live in California are attempting to give advice here. :rolleyes: Technically, you don't even "own" your license plates in this state. They are "issued" to you, and can be "revoked" by the state. KIRK mentioned LicenseplatesTV, but I believe that they've been pressured enough to not make CA plates anymore...

10. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

if you did get pulled over, when they run the plate numbers, dispatch will relay if the plate is "reflective", meaning a newer white and blue plate. I have done it in the past, on a Special Construction bike, but have just received a "fix-it" ticket. I'm sure the state would instill a hefty fine now since that seems to be the norm here in California. Also, FYI, LicenseplatesTV will no longer ship to Ca.

11. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Question. Answer. Fuck it - paint 'em!

12. KIRK!

KIRK!

Actually I don't think they ever have. I have always shipped them to out of state friends.

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

Whoa! I just went to their site, and no California plates any more. Damn!

"WE DO NOT REPLICATE CALIFORNIA STATE LICENSE PLATES"

That just proves how serious California is about this shit.

They do still have Iraq plates though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  14. budd

budd

how about this, take your plates to a plastic shop and have them vaccum form a thin protective cover, then you paint the covers, your plates are untouched and the covers can be just removed.

15. Special Ed

Special Ed

I believe I just mentioned that KIRK. Pay attention.... :)

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

I know, that's why I checked. I just got some from them a year ago.

17. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

look i found a better photo, this guy says he got it at cr8apl8.com

Attached Files:

18. KIRK!

KIRK!

Whoa! $160 a pop. Definitely cheaper to find a real set of plates and go the Y.O.M. route.

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

It'll be ok, just have lawyer, guns and money...not necessarily in that order:rolleyes:

dont PM me from your cell...Mmmmkay?:D

Municipalities are hungry for cash..why not do something to be sure they get yours

20. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

The newer plates have holograms and are reflective, yours would not have this and you run the risk of
    Charges of: criminal intent
    Defacing Government property
    Defrauding a public offical
    Removal of state required saftey equiptment.
    Since were talking california I bet this would be the short version of the charges filed against you.

Godspeed
    MrC.

21. 327Eric

327Eric

i saw a guy at a show in so cal- he had his silkscreened yellow with black letters. the give away is the new plates don't have a raised california script. he did his letters multiple times to raise the script. I saw the car a few times with the plates. But then again it was a nice car. I once got pulled over for my yom tags, current with stickers, on my 55 chevy, while the NICE 55 chevy next to me, with 2 year out white plates, kept driving.
    Enforcement is sporadic at best.

22. codeblu

codeblu

There goes 4 hours we won't get back...

23. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

One of the things with the vehicle code, is officer discretion. In other words, if you take your ticket like a man, misdemeanor, if you give me any crap, felony. :D

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yep. Or if said cop is having a bad day.

25. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Its illegal and the last thing I want is to have a hot rod and get pulled over for having and illegally painted license plate. Once they catch you with that the LA gestapo will look at everything.

You know LA, they just had 35 cops doing a prostitution sting inan industrial area. They spent a few days and arrested like 30 johns.

Meanwhile there is a rash of burglaries that nothing is being done about

Thats LA. You never know what the cops will care about

26. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Well, I have done it, easy depending on the clerk behind the desk.... and if they understand how it works. The gal I got had no idea how it worked.

I have two sets of CA blackplates waiting for me to do that with them...

I was told it carried a yearly fee, but on renewal this year, I didnt' see any extra cost to it.

Cheers
    RustyNCA

[​IMG]

27. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

You sound like you are going to do it no matter what opinions you get here.....go ahead and alter the plate, moron........let us know what it gets you...

Unbelievable.....

CB

28. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

It isn't a normal police officer that will get you,
    it is the parking meter maid.
    they know and care about that specific section of law.

TP

29. The white plates on my 55 are from 1989, with the California raised like the early black and then the blue versions. But they have sevens digits, so I have never altered them. It has crossed my mind though

30. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.