Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint gurus: Anybody familiar with spraying tintcoats?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Sep 2, 2015.

1. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I sure like a lot of the newer deep red metallic tintcoat or tricoat paints that some manufacturers are using these days. Is anybody here familiar with spraying these? Are they as critical as spraying candies? Thanks

2. '48IHC

'48IHC

I'm a combo guy in a large collision shop and do a lot of tri-stages. We spray envirobase which is PPG's waterborne line. They spray very similar to traditional candies. The only differences are spray application (overlap, drop coats) I know the colors you are liking.. One in particular comes through the shop a lot which is code RR. Ruby red.. Comes on fords. Through PPG they actually tint the clear instead of having a traditional mid coat. They require a final coat of un-tinted clear on top. As far as solvent based paint goes, they spray almost identical to traditional candies.

3. Tinted mid "base" coats are a lot more forgiving and user friendly than the
    traditional mid clearcoat type candies.
    The trade off is you don't get the true mile deep HOK type candy finish.
    But usually a lot less $ too

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Easier to shoot than real candy, but still have to have very good spray technique to get it on evenly. The only reason it's easier, is that you are spraying over the same color base.
    BTW, I priced out doing a 66 GTO in a Caddy TriCoat color, in Dupont Chromabase, and it was actually cheaper to do the car in House of Kolor Candy Apple Red. AND it looks WAYYYY better!

5. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure its out of my league. I'll just have to find something suitable in bc/cc.