Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Overnight parking safety

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy2car, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

In June, I'm going to drive my 32 Tudor up to Washington from Norcal.
    I'll take 3 days to make the trip, stopping at the Calif border to meet with
    some friends and staying the night in a Motel. Then on to Oregon, spending
    the next night visiting some relatives. Last day driving to Sequim to visit my
    Brother.
    I have no concerns about the car, as it's been very reliable. My concern is
    parking at some Motel and worrying about the car while I'm trying to sleep.
    The car is Flathead powered with open hood sides, so the engine is
    exposed.
    Just wondering what others have done in a similar situation?
    Thanks for any suggestions
    Jim

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Take the rotor cap ( button ) for better words with you . Not so easy to find one at auto zone. Remove small wire from starter relay

3. k9racer

k9racer

chain and lock on wheels. chain thru stearing wheel and brake pedal. Back in the parking space. it is harder to tow a car from the front if the trans is in in park. Turn the stearing wheel toward curb. any thing to slow down the person from stealing the car. Ask the lobby attendent if you may park in front of the establishment.any thing that makes noise to warn of tampering. Always carry legal parers on the car.

4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

what he said but don't leave the ownership stuff in the car

dana barlow and jeffd1988 like this.

5. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

I'd Phone ahead and pre-arrange some sort of lockup. At the motel, or perhaps some local they might know.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Undercover or secure where possible, I have a hidden kill switch and use a car cover where possible as my phaeton can't be secured, remove all personal items and identification /ownership. I also take off the radiator mascot as it's rare and can easily be removed. That's about as best as I can do given the circumstances.

7. Make friends with fellow Hambers in the areas you intend on visiting, and then you always have somewhere to stay, and a secure place for your car.
    Best I got. :)

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Install an anti theft device like an ignition kill switch. Its cheap insurance and beats removing engine parts.

Gary

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    A32Flathead and chevy57dude like this.
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

10. oldolds

oldolds

An ignition kill switch is a good idea. Buy a cheap cell phone and get a cheap plan ($10/month) hide it in the car. Cheap gps tracking. While we see a fair amount of stolen car reports on here in reality it seldom happens. Think about it a big event like NSRA nationals 15,000 cars most sitting at hotel rooms for a week or so maybe a car or two get stolen. That is a a shopping market for high buck cars. ( I would guess half of those are planned thefts) A single car sitting at a motel over night will probably not be messed with.

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With all the useless bullshit there's an app for, what about one of those deals that alerts you to tampering? Something that makes your phone ring if the car is opened or moved...? I tend to agree about the low frequency of vintage car thefts, and most are a trailer/car loss with exception to select years/models. Tri-5 Chevy, certain "X" frame GM, mid 60s Ford, and muscle cars are all in more danger than even a Model A. Right out in front is a decent idea too. Management can keep even a casual eye on it for you.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I use this as my cabin, works great, has never failed to go off when something walks by. Battery operated, no wires. You could put the motion detector part in the car or outside pointed at it. The alarm part goes by your bed and will wake the dead on the high setting. HF.

Capture.JPG

13. ^ Good Idea, looks like it works up to 200 feet away. Might be able to find one with a better range for a few bucks more.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Some great ideas been posted already,but I also always use a car cover,in my case its just been a tarp an bungy cords but wraps up car and folds up fairly small for the go. Out of site out of mind has a little to do with it,but also rain, wind with dirt ect. Being mine is a 28 roadster,there is no windows to keep out bad hands,so tarp/cover is as good a seal as can be done when away. I have a gas cutoff that is not EZ to fine an take coilwire & rotor inside with me at nite

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    34toddster likes this.
  15. If you don't have one install a kill switch or some sort of alarm,park your car as close to your room as possible and do your best to park in a well lit area.

I also use a car cover.HRP

16. squirrel

squirrel

I park as close to the registration desk as I can....under a light....

I've never had any problems. But I don't have a flathead, either.

volvobrynk, lothiandon1940 and Tim like this.
  17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I believe that most professional auto thieves operate like repo men (lift/pull car with tow trucks), therefore it's more important that the car can't roll as opposed to it not being able to run. The thieves want to be quiet and fast. Anything you do to prevent quiet and fast cuts in your favor.

Anything to lock up the driveline and wheels (chains, cables & locks, etc.) will help more than killing ignition and fuel supply. Nothing is foolproof but you just want to make it less easy so maybe they walk away and move on to easier victims. Motion detecting alarms are also a great deterrent, especially with a separate battery power supply.
    I'm also a big believer in "boxing-in" the old car with new cars that have alarms and immobilization features.

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Good point, mine is only about 50 feet away. Going out there tonight, I'll try it further away.

Another nice feature of this thing is you get notified immediately of any foul play, and the thief has no idea, leaving you free to surprise them with whatever means you feel appropriate.

19. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

I have heard of people putting a baby monitor under the seat so that you can hear if anyone is messing with your car.

20. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Thanks everyone.
    These are all great suggestions. I do have a fuel cutoff switch for the pump and a car cover
    Jim
    I also like that motion detector deal

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. take the front wheels off and bring them in with you. They wont be able to roll it or pull it when its on blocks already!

22. Avoid Motel 6, they have no security and have been named the motel with the highest rate of violent crime in the nation more then once.

Some motels have a security area where you can park in a gated area. Or you can camp if that is an option. In better motels I have even parked under the canopy in direct view of the front desk.

23. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I would talk to the front desk personnel of a hotel/motel, and let them know, about ''the concern'' of your car and investment....most I've known in motels seem to be very helpful and understanding...I've parked my car within 'view' of the office and within constant observation of the front desk....if they won't accommodate the 'genuine concerns' of parking within their establishment, I'd spend my hard earned cash at the next place down the road....where they probably will 'understand' the situation.

24. stimpy

stimpy

thats why they leave the light on for you !!! or the paramedics

any type of car alarm with a motion/current sensor should work , even if you mount the sensor/alarm to a peice of wood you can put in the trunk so not to take away from the car and temp wire it to the battery just make the sensitvity high to medium , one car thief they interviewed my way who is now a car alarm guy , said what they did was they would purposely bump the car and watch to see if anyone would pay attention to it ( silent alarm trip ) or a alarm would go off , if it did draw attention they would move on to something easier to get , only the pros who hang around shows with parts lists would drive looking for cars with a trailer or roll bed to scoupe them up . and the way some of our cars are wired they can hot wire them in seconds , so disconnect the starter wire under the hood .

25. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

This is definitely a concern of mine while on my route 66 trip. I have a closed car, so it's one step safer than a roadster, but still easy to boost, being vintage. I like the motion detector and the baby monitor ideas. Might have to use one or both :) . I'll probably have a steering wheel lock as well, I figure it can't hurt . I probably have an old "club" lying around somewhere.
    My car is just an old roach compared to most , but it's MY old roach !

26. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I just camp at a campsite. Ive thought of chaining my tent to the car.

27. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

My steering wheel removes like a race car. Put in my room and cover her up. IF they really want it they will get it. Baby monitor sounds like a good idea.

volvobrynk and Atwater Mike like this.
  28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm seriously considering getting one of those "boots" that city use on cars with a lot of parking tickets. Can't tow it or drive it away.

volvobrynk and kbgreen like this.
  29. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Anything can be dragged onto a roll-back. Chain it to a pole. The motion detector idea is good.

kbgreen likes this.
  30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Go to the nearest police or fire station. Offer pizzas or a donation to a cause they back and ask them to park in their lot. Then, take a cab to the motel. Might cost a bit, but it's cheaper than building another car. Cops and fire fighters hate thieves too.