Register now to get rid of these ads!

old car locksmith question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostforawhile, May 10, 2010.

1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I know my car is a bit off topic, but this is probably something many people here have run into, I'm trying to find a locksmith who can make me a new non worn out key, and a missing key for my glove box lock, I can drill out and remove my lock cylinder to send it off, and send a glove box lock to go with it. I'm sorry the car is off topic, but I can't find a locksmith anywhere here who will touch it, and they don't make a factory lock cyl for my car anymore, I need to get the lock cyl rebuilt and a good key made for it. Any Ideas?

2. Might help a little to know what kind of car, but seriously, no locksmiths who've been in the business 20 or 30 years?

3. Any experienced locksmith should be able to help you. Assuming the globe box lock and the other locks are the same, it might be possible to send the former to the locksmith who'll make up a pattern off the lock itself.

Also, it may be possible for a skilled locksmith to make up a new key from a worn original. I just had a lock re-keyed to match other other locks (someone replaced the tailgate on my grandson's and my station wagon project without swapping the lock over) and a couple of keys made from the only somewhat worn key we got with the car.

Before you start tearing into the locks I suggest you talk to a locksmith to work out the best option for you.

Hope that helps.

4. CHOP36

CHOP36

If you cant find a locksmith look for a old hardware store most of them make keys and might have a old key blank that should work.I did this years ago and it worked for my grandfathers 54 ford.

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Yea we don't have any good old locksmiths around here anymore, they've all retired. what i meant by drilling out the cyl was removing the entire cyl assembly from the column, and having it looked at, it's easy, it's just a couple of one way snap off screws. you center punch a hole on one edge of the blank screw and tap it until it starts unscrewing. as for information it''s an old import, I hate to bring that up here, but any other site I belong to where i've asked this, the usual answer is "huh?" most imports on the road aren't old enough to have this issue, the old datsun guys might know, but there's so much info on here, I figured someone on here might know a locksmith I could send this to. the lock assembly is discontinued, and the glovebox lock is discontinued, so i might need to get it disassembled and cleaned so it lasts for a while. I have spare glovebox locks for extra pins if needed. I appreciate any help, this is kind of important to have your ignition switch lock functioning.

6. Thats nuts that nobody wants to do the job!
    The local guy here came by the house,pulled a blank and a couple files next thing you know I got a key for my 62

7. Swifster

Swifster

Any mobil locksmith should be able to do this with no problem.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well they are a long way from you but these guys
    The Lockshop 1612 E Edison Ave, Sunnyside, WA 98944 509-837-4970 Have made many keys for me with just a lock cylinder and most have been for odd ball cars.

There, It makes sense now.

I've never had trouble finding a locksmith who could code the keys from a cylinder but I have seen a lot of differences in price for the same services. The last time I had them do one the shop that I noted above did it for under 10.00 while a shop here in Yakima where I work wanted 35.00. It isn't rocket science so there should be a shop around that does it.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  9. Andy

Andy

There is usually a code that is on the side of the lock. I just had some 32 keys made and he cut them from the codes. JJ&J in Fredricksburg Tex. He has also picked some locks and made keys from scratch. Great older gentilman. Very reasonable!!

10. appaRATus

appaRATus

Have you tried looking on ebay for a complete lock set? I found ignition, doors, trunk and glove box cylinders all keyed to the same key for $100 that fit my 55 Olds.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Since the identity seems to be a mystery, if the key is in the column it's very possible that a new ignition key and lock is available from a good parts store. I think I saw some in the help section of a bubble pack store. I've replaced a few and never had to use a drill to remove the cylinder. You will need a manual.

I lost my keys at Carlisle last year and had to have a locksmith drill out my Ford ignition switch in order to get home that night. With a worn key that is not necessary. He had a special fixture to locate a the drill without removing the wheel. At the shop we always went down through the top of the column and replace it with one from the parts store.

12. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

A key can be made for the cylinder you have but not if you butcher it. What car is this for?

13. squirrel

squirrel

There are a few Datsun locks on ebay. Hard to know what to help you with if you don't specify it better.

I do old chevy locks myself, I even have code cut a few keys. My brother found a few locksmith training books at a yard sale, and let me have the one that tells all about GM keys. I also found a key cutting machine at the swap meet years ago.

14. abes32ford

abes32ford
    from arizona

if you can find a blank key that fit the lock. take a lighter and run it under the key until it is covered with soot. then put the key into the lock turn it back and forth a few times .when you pull it out you can see where the tumblers hit the key. use a small file and file down the spots where the tumblers hit. take a little off at a time ,then cover it with soot again with your lighter and repeat the process. i have made many keys for older cars that i have had over the years that didnt come with a trunk key. get a few blanks because you will ruin a couple. it works but take some time .

15. dallascarr37

dallascarr37

I think to handle this task efficiently you need to look for experienced locksmith. They will either make up a pattern off the lock by assuming the globe box lock and the other locks as same or open it with their tools. I recently had a issue on my car locks which are quite easily resolved by http://www.metronyclocksmith.com/locksmith-for-cars-nyc , but they are located in New York, so if you are there then they will be of help or else you can explore the site yelp.com and find out the professional car locksmith in your area.

16. If you have an early Datsun they use the same key blanks as an early Subaru.If there is an old time Subaru dealer in your area they will likely have a key cutter(it's a pliers type device)and an experienced one can read the cuts on the key.There are ten positions and four different depths on the key and they are read from the base to the tip.
    I used to work at a dealership that sold Subarus and I've cut a fair amount of keys.As I recall the Subarus(and possibly the Datsuns)use one key for the ignition,doors,and trunk.

17. 7314haywood

7314haywood
    from phoenix

Im in Phx AZ and would be happy to help. I looked and didn't see make or model. Can you take door off and send complete without drilling lock off? If not then if you have replacement I can rekey to whatever key you have and send with it. My shop is ABC Lock and Sfae 602-265-2121 8-5 AZ time Jeff

18. 7314haywood

7314haywood
    from phoenix

I also have old Datsun Subaru locks here, but need more info.

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Maybe we can guess...

20. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

This guy advertises in several old car publications, Jessers Classic Keys, 330-376-8181. Claims there is no lock he can't fix.

21. squirrel

squirrel

you guys realize this thread is 4 years old?

22. brought back from the dead by someones first post.
    -Pat

23. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

So I'm assuming you have an old key then? What about getting some blanks and sitting down with a file and making your own?? You could trace one key to the blank, then keep a little extra meat where it looks worn out, on the high spots

Damnit, newbie!!! Look at dates of last post!!!!

24. Realize this is an old post, but since were back at the top I thought I'd comment. I work in the door & security industry and the old time locksmiths are falling by the wayside. The older guys experienced with cars considered on topic are dying off or retired. There's also no money to be made by cutting duplicate keys or re-pinning cylinders. The trade follows the money, and keys with chips, remote entry bring a few more bucks, technology pays. The state of Virginia a few years back requiring "locksmiths" to be Department of Criminal Justice Services compliant. The cost of being compliant put most small shops, home based, or mobile guys out of business. A few switched over to vehicle lockout work only (slim-jim service), while most shifted to the electronic access market for homes or commercial applications. The company I work for dropped all residential service as well as auto applications, and I was fortunate to have grabbed all the ford, chevy, mopar, key blanks and pining kits before they were thrown out. Don't have a clue what to do with it as my background is on the door side of the business; but I hope to find someone in my area with the talent and desire to pass them on too.

25. 1932tub

1932tub

A 20 year old cut the key for my old Ford ignition/ steering lock, a girl to boot!

26. Like so many things pertaining to older cars, parts availability, or experienced mechanics that still have the equipment to, shave & true bias-plies, turn brake drums, etc., it's a dying art. I'm always pleased to hear when someone young takes an interest in embracing yesterdays ways.

27. txturbo

txturbo

This one is easy if you still have all the original locks. Remove the lock from the passenger side door and take it to a locksmith. It has to be the passenger door.....if it's a 4 door then it has to be the front passenger door. That lock and only that lock has the master key code on it for the whole car. The locksmith can make a key for any lock and/or ignition key from that code. I've done this on at least 6 cars. Doesn't matter if it's domestic or import. It may not work on stuff older than the mid 50s and older , but I don't know for sure since I've never needed to do one that old. Again....only works if the original locks are still there.

28. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Bringing one back from the dead for that... Dude must be a locksmith.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app