Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Campers...Let's see what you got!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by mctim64, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Our 1957 Shasta had the lower part of the normal paint scheme polished by the previous owner and I will try to keep it looking presentable until I have the extra funds to re-paint it. HRP

005.JPG

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

3. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably a little too new but it's still pretty old:) We had went to a wedding and my boss had camped near where the wedding was held in a state park in his Avion, the wife thought it was neat, we got home from the wedding and I went on Craigslist and found this that night. We bought it the next day, it's been to the east coast and to northern Minnesota/Wisconsin. IMG_0030.JPG

4. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

P8030007.JPG P8030014.JPG Not much action here lately, here is a shot of the Shasta with the wings lit up.

5. BJR

BJR

Is that glass neon around the wings? If so was it custom made?

loudbang likes this.
  6. Those wings are all lit up,is that neon?

BTW,I was noticing the wheels,what size are they? HRP

loudbang likes this.
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Wow VTX1800 that is a major score. Streamline trailers were one of the finest trailers ever made. Every one custom built to order. They make an Airstream look like a cheap flimsy piece of junk by comparison. If you have to do any work on it you will be impressed by how well built and strong it is.

vtx1800, LostBoy and loudbang like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

almost have my Airstream Safari ready for a trip in a couple days...so much work to do to get one of these ready again! I've been working on it four months.

loudbang likes this.
  9. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

20160831_152404.jpg

This Scamp is a bit off topic, but then no one ever asked the year of our trailer at an event.
    Works for us!

10. Cool little camper regardless. HRP

11. If you want a project I have decided to sell my 1956 Shasta,the early models are extreamly hard t0 find on the East Coast.

I've done a lot of deconstruction on the camper as the photos will attest. HRP

1956 Shasta project

[​IMG]

12. The Human Wrench

The Human Wrench

Led light strip around the wings (which in the photos above are made of wood, I have since bought reproduction wings but haven't mounted them yet.) The wheels are 14" by, I think, 8 inch full reverse.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Looking forward to our stay in May!

14. Fargo52

Fargo52
    from Manitoba

Looking for people in Canada Manitoba,Saskatchewan, North Dakota and ??? That might be interesting in attending a Vintage Camper Rally I need input so please respond with any comments [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. modeleh

modeleh

Great advice here.
    It's the main reason why I sold my '60 Safari. Maybe in a dry climate the shine would last longer, but where I'm at on the wet coast, I ended up having to build an enclosed shed just to store the trailer in. Just the dampness settling on it in an open carport would diminish the shine. I spent many hours with a Cylco. I never tried Nuvite, but Diamond Brite by Better Built truck box polish was the best that I found.
    They look good shined up but then it quickly becomes your only hobby and you're a slave to the damn thing.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Anyone ever try anything like this on a polished trailer?

https://www.alumaclear.com

i bought a can of the stuff Eastwood used to sell (Nylac or Nyalic), but never got around to testing it. It's still sitting on the shelf in the shed, but at this point it's got to be 15 years old, if not 20. Seems like I remember (real world) reviews at the time saying it was good for about a year, but then it was a real pain to get off to touch up the polish.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. loudbang likes this.
  18. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

My Kenskill Clone. Did many El Mirage and Drags with it. Sold it last fall IMG_0679.JPG

19. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

20. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

This a "quick and dirty" polish on the '47 Spartan, it took about 20 hours, and I didn't do the roof, and rear panel, just an acid wash. My buddy Jake (he and his wife have a '46 Spartan trailer) and I are going to partner and invest in a drum polisher, which eliminates the swirl marks. I have another 20 or 30 hours ahead to get this to look really good, after that it's a semi-annual or annual chore to re-polish (depending on your ambition and age) for upkeep. We hope the drum system cuts that by over half. That, I'll be able to keep up with . IMG_0060.JPG

Okie Pete, Patrick46, ibflyin and 5 others like this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"nothing could be gayler, than cragars on my trailer in the morning". :D Love this trailer!

loudbang likes this.
  24. Dyce

Dyce

20170314_112200.jpg This is a 1967 Forester I bought a few weeks ago. I've been polishing the trim and putting stainless screws in everything. It's in great shape.

Okie Pete, wingnutz, 36 ROKIT and 5 others like this.
  25. ratrod0

ratrod0

I build brand new ones all metal no wood. For vending, or camping 20170313_161743.jpg

26. ratrod0

ratrod0

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

ratrod0, those look great. Do you sell them finished out inside to order, or just do the shell and let the buyer finish as needed? A buddy of ours is an RV manufacturer in Elkhart IN, building high end horse trailer/toy hauler trailers, he's planning on doing a retro camper, you guys should put your heads together. ;-)

loudbang likes this.
  28. ratrod0

ratrod0

Yes we can, we build foodtrucks and have just started retro vending and campers, they are all steel no wood.

29. ratrod0

ratrod0

We can sale a empty one and you finish it

daylatedollarshort likes this.
  30. What kind of cost are you looking at for an empty one?