Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects OK, level with me Traditional H.A.M.B.'ers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Metaltwister, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

With out this turning into a rambling, senile, Bull shit thread I need some good honest advice.

Back in 1975 my very first car burned to the ground. Pops was changing a fuel line on it for me one night while I was at work. I really loved that car as it was my dads pride and joy for years. On my 16th birthday I commandeered The 30 model A coupe from him never to return it. A few years went by and I had the flat head running cool and everything when it went up in flames. I was scheduled to go into the Air Force a few days later so I cocooned the chard mess and put it in deep storage. I got back to it a few years after my service time in the A.F. for a good long building frenzy. It was chopped and smoothed, Flat head went to the dump and the Tunnel Ramed 327 Powerglide combo went in. That is when life hit hard again. The project went back into deep storage. So with this background here comes the big question for discussion.

Back in the 70's smoothing the ride out was the thing to do. I'm now almost 60 and I just pulled the A out from deep storage and decided I need to get it going soon! Unfortunately when I started the build last time I started painting the thing turquoise blue! The frame suspension... everything! Its gotta to go! I then was hit with a reality check... I need to get after this thing before I get to old to drive it. I don't have another 40 years to get ur done... If I try to turn things around and go traditional I'm not going to make it. So my thought was to go half ass on it and at least give the appearance of being traditional. All my electrical with the relays are done. As well as new fuel tanks under the car and mounted. I can glue on stock a gas filler neck and cap and re install the door handles for looks and use the electric door poppers still? OR just continue to go custom by painting it the shop colors and logo the side with my business logo. I'm at a cross road and need to get after this thing asap. I'm really torn on which way to go. So do I fake a traditional where my interest really lay, or do I go custom ? Or maybe just go custom and get it on the road and get another one for the traditional? Anyway advice from you that are wiser than I is needed.
    Thanks
    seats 076.jpg seats 077.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

build it the way YOU want it!!

3. aaggie

aaggie

Sounds like you are too concerned with dropping dead before you finish. I'm over 70 and would start another build in a heartbeat if it was something I wanted to do. If you don't make it then it really doesn't matter. It's the here and now that counts.
    That said there's nothing wrong with leaving it smooth and paint it any color you like.

loudbang, kiwijeff and Metaltwister like this.
  4. Given that track record, id just buy one.
    If you haven't got it done in 40 years, well,,,,

However if you really got after it, you could pull the body and paint over the macaw blue in just a few days. Door Handles for looks wouldn't be horrible. Leave the filler neck off.

So the way I see it is you are about 2 weeks behind.

5. Squablow

Squablow

If it was me, I'd finish it out mostly the way you had planned to finish it back in the 70's, turquoise paint and all. I don't dislike that color at all, and I don't think the shaved door handles and fuel filler detract from it either. Guys shaved handles and filled radiator shells and relocated gas tanks in the 50's and 60s' already.

You've got a real good start with parts that have already been there for 40 years. If it were me, I'd finish the blue paint with the customized body intact, and I'd run some 5 spoke Torq Thrusts with redline tires or something that would look appropriate for a smoothed off car with a hot 327. All the stuff you already have done seems appropriate for a 60's style build, shoot for that era. Luckily it's still got an I beam front in it.

Changing paths now might doom it to a forever unfinished car.

jakespeed63 and Metaltwister like this.
  6. Paint the body ivory/white and minimize the non-traditional impact. Simple wheel covers would work with that style build. If you build it "clean" (no fussy stuff, no gimmicks), it will be right. Don't fake ANYTHING. Don't appologize for ANYTHING! It's yours....build it how you want.

Metaltwister likes this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

put the fenders on it, put the glass in it, get it running driving and registered and cruise. worry about paint and all the other stuff later.

Bubba1955 and Metaltwister like this.
  8. t won't take that much work to get rid of the easter egg color and slap a hood on it and your good to go. HRP

9. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Got to laugh here... I'm a car builder by trade and been so busy with everyone elses stuff for so long I never got back around to mine. Come quitting time I wanted to get away from the shop not do another shift on my stuff. Now that the main focus is on the seats It's much easier to chill, hang out, and work on my stuff once again. Thanks guys I really appreciate the input.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Bingo, forget that "traditional" bs, this is the HAMB, traditional is a state of mind...

11. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Tough one, I've got a project of a similar vinatge, (35 years) and yep, alot of those ideas I had are a bit dated, but you know what, I still like the way it was heading, and although I didn't paint anything (turqoise was my choice back then), everyhting else will stay, eventually, but probably black for the colour. So, as you've done the chassis, why not just change the body colour, maybe with some body colour detailing underneath. That's a fair bit of work to redo, having said that, it is only taking stuff off and painting it, you've done the hard graft allready.

Metaltwister likes this.
  12. Build it the way you want, you won't get another chance to in your lifetime. Get it out there and inspire some young future rodders in the hobby, it'll inspire them more in the future with it driving then sitting in the shop! JMHO.

Metaltwister likes this.
  13. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Just finish it the way you started it. If you change now It will just sit another forty years.

Metaltwister likes this.
  14. 'Mo

'Mo

I'm certainly no wiser, but that's a bitchin' coupe! I'd leave the blue, paint the sheet metal black or midnight blue metallic, and finish it as is! My only question would be which color for the firewall. (And if I scraped up the coin, I'd probably go tri-power intake....also blue.)

Metaltwister likes this.
  15. Hell you're miles ahead of someone trying to convert something that was built and finished and all wrong as well. Get it running, make it safe, primer if you want to then drive the heck out of it. It's an axle car, that puts you way ahead of someone trying to change out one of those funky Corvair front ends that were so common back then and no one will condemn you for the coil-overs in the back. A few friends, a few pizzas, a few (or more beverages) and a few week-ends and you're on the road. :D

Metaltwister likes this.
  16. By no means do I want to speak for @Ryan or the other staffers here, but I have to disagree. The HAMB is focused on hot rods and customs built in a style representative of (in the following of - or patterned after) 1965 and earlier. IMO, the "traditional in spirit" mantra is typically nothing more than a convenient justification for anachronism...'if they would have had it - they would have used it' just doesn't hold water from an historical standpoint.

So yeah, build what you want - build it for yourself - but also realize that the term Traditional actually does have some parameters/guidelines in this little corner of the interweb.

Just this 2-bit moderators opinion...

17. I believe you have gotten sound advice. If you can't live with the color, get rid of it...it won't take long. Since you still have door hinges you won't go wrong if you decide to put the handles back on. Rear fenders and prime in one color and go have fun. Tim

humber80 likes this.
  18. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

What you started went out of style, but guess what! You waited so long it is back IN style again. Quit looking over you shoulder to build what everybody else wants. You've got a good start, pick up where you left off and GO!

19. To @Metaltwister's query; I think you've got a helluva nice canvas there! I heartily admire your "sticktoitiveness"...most guys would have thrown in the towel by now!!

As mentioned previously, guys were shaving cowls as far back as the late 30's, door handles probably a little later, so I think you're good to go there. I think you could probably pull off a nice early 60's look with minimal work...biggest thing is 'dialing in' what you want and deciding what level of era-correctness you're comfortable with.

None of us will live forever - but we can enjoy the ride while we're here! Best of luck, look forward to seeing the progress!

20. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

I really appreciate the straight shooting here. I'm a bit surprised at the encouragement to go along the lines that had been started awhile back. I think your all right. The body is not attached to the frame so I might just give the body one more ride on the lift and paint the frame and anything else black. Then paint that fire wall and throw this thing back together the way I want it. I'm actually kinda of getting excited to get back on it. Those juices haven't flowed for a lonnnnng time. Thanks again Guys

kiwijeff and ROCKER77 like this.
  21. G , I'm guessing you missed the satire.
    There are way too many here that rewrite history and defend their inaccurate or wishful accounting of fact with such veracity that things get diluted

loudbang likes this.
  22. MBog

MBog

What he said...Drive it...

23. Haha! That @falcongeorge snuck a fastball right by me :)

24. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

I don't see that blue coming back any time soon. I'd get rid of the color. The rest is on target..

25. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

“It has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste”

Cop Out!!! You could have that looking like 1962 on a weekend......

26. Here's another idea. Finish the car in the robin's egg blue, go with white tuck & roll with blue piping, big and little whilewalls, shiny black wheels with no-name baby moons. Presto. 1959. Could be really sharp.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Yeah, something along the lines of the " Bull tudor sedan" built by Titus. It was a magazine cover car not too long ago.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Always liked that car,and it at 80's disco turquoise. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. oldolds

oldolds

Blue works for me! Do it, drive it like ya stole it!

Metaltwister likes this.