Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Novelty Hot Rods - Post any pic's.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I always liked the boot hill express..how bout the paddy wagon

Attached Files:

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Guess what....a local car buddy bought one of the two originals at the BJ auction and drives it around like it's normal. I've ridden in it.:D

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Well here are pic's of 2 that I was thinking of.
    Red Baron and Popcorn Wagon.

Attached Files:

4. hell Im buildin my own..the PIEWAGON.......most of ya know the story

Attached Files:

5. he's my hero!!! I still love that thing...............

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  6. I remember seeing some gawd awful thing at a 70's "autorama" type deal with toilets and bathtubs on it...anyone got a picture?

7. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

I was looking through an old rodder magazine today and saw a small picture of something called The Stiletto. It looked pretty cool but the picture didn't show it very well.

I searched the HAMB for it and about the only thing I found was Tingler looking for a switchblade.

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Still looking for pic's.
    But here is a quote from some site I found on the net.

"While George Barris and Ed "Big Daddy" Roth are household names, the comparatively unknown Carl Casper is my favorite designer of outrageous custom hot rods of the 1960s and 1970s. Such incongruous hot rod themes as mail truck and barbershop were common, but I prefer the straightforward corner tavern, hot peanut and pinball sensibility of Carl Casper. These no-go showboats were decked out with chrome superchargers and fuel injection but never hit the pavement as they were rolled out of trailers to the pink shag fake fur of the hot rod show floor. Carl is still slogging it with an annual Louisville car show and, since he has never sold a car he built, there is still an opportunity to see these beasts in their natural environment under the florescent lights. Naturally, I like cars that go, but these candy flake monsters were the stuff of my dreams when I was kid; I bought all the model kits and dutifully assembled plastic chrome engines in a Testors glue fog."

Below is Cecil the Diesel a 5th wheel theme.

Attached Files:

9. ya mean this barris KUSTOM???

Attached Files:

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

That blower belt on the popcorn wagon looks very convincing. Got a lot of good contact on the first blower pulley. :rolleyes:

Guess I likely won't have much problem with my 4-71 V-belts after all if that is all it takes to spin a 6-71.

Love those shoe melting exhaust steps as well.

I am glad we have these to view, but please don't tell me some of us are headed for the deep end again with stuff like this. The economy isn't quite that bad yet folks. No need to go suicidal.

Cecil the Diesel? ok....

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Does this qualify? the futurian, I built it in 2001

[​IMG]

12. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yeah, I guess practical just goes right out the window when it comes to this kind of build.
    What about the Barbers car!

Attached Files:

13. not until REVELL releases the model car :D:D:D:eek:

Attached Files:

14. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Some degree of practicality is one thing to strive for, but staying within even a remote possibility of reality seems to be challenge for some of these.

I like the ones that are at least somewhat plausible as operable cars. The ones that obviously are not really drivable even just to up on the trailer seem a bit much to me. Maybe it is the "joke" part of them I am not into. I have to admit, my hot rod humor sensibility is probably not too refined.

I do like the future and bubble cars though.

15. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Here are a few from the 1977 Spokane Auto Boat and Speed show

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

It must have been a era of excess, just think to build a hot rod that is not driveable.
    Worse still put all that chrome and luxury apparrel into it all for maybe a few magazine shots a little recognition and a trophy or two.
    In Caspers case to build several and show them and store them, I guess that is why they are a novelty.
    Who knows?
    I am waiting for Poverty Flats to show us some pic's he has with Barris and his hillbilly truck replica.

17. your not even close.these rides made big bank! they were booked out as Feature cars for shows around the world and then came marketing rights.tee-shirts,model cars,toy, endorsment rights.it is and was big money

18. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Maybe that was worth not being able to drive'm then!

19. screwball

screwball

I think the real show type stuff started with the ala kart and went stupider as time went on. I for one have always hated thies kind of cars. NOW that I have said my piece I will now go back to the reason I joined the hamb and you guys that like this stuff have fun and injoy.

20. sociallydistorted

sociallydistorted

21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Just part of hot rod history and certainly promoted hot rodding to the uninitiated.
    Shit loads better than ratrods.

22. Absotively, but let's not forget Dave Puhl's Futurion ...
    [​IMG]

23. ratster

ratster

keep em coming. i love the crazyness. I want to build a bubble top so bad jus so i can put it in my basment a look at it all the time, but anyone who knows me knows i'll drive the piss out of it.

24. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Here's 3

Attached Files:

25. canadianzed

canadianzed

I recall building most of the model kits of the cars shown, the beer wagon, coffin, surf woody, just to mention a few.
    [​IMG]

26. RichG

RichG

The next car he built is much cooler, in my opinion. That one is a little...wild.

27. 500LBGorilla

500LBGorilla
    from Austin Tx

Nope ive seen and heard it at our show in Brooklyn...

28. rockinrambler

rockinrambler
    from athens ga.

as a model car collector o know of the red barron model kit hot rod that was issued in the late 60s early 70s. i even built one back then. they have been reissued a couple of times and are still quit a lot of them out there.

29. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

30. rockinrambler

rockinrambler
    from athens ga.

a lot of george barris hot rods ended up as model kits. as did a lot of other novelty hot rods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.