Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

Girlfriends like that are hard to find nowdays!

2. Don Kirkland

Don Kirkland

Note on Johnny Baldwin. He was from Bessemer Alabama. He was a great body and paint man with the nickname Johnny "Bondo". Painted a lot of the race and street cars in the Birmingham area back in the 60's and 70's.

3. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Welcome to the forum X-techman:) I believe I've been corrected on my misunderstanding of NHRA cam rules. I know "nothing" about IHRA stuff:confused:
    I've spoken to a few people who "were there" back then and the understanding I received was that only lift was checked. Apparently, that is not true. There sure are a LOT of stories though about "cheater" cams in the stock classes that were never caught by tech. Maybe they just weren't checked.
    At any rate, those days were the high water mark in Stock racing, as far as I'm concerned. A guy could "develop" something in his garage one night and win the next day. He didn't just order something from Summit and wait for it to arrive to go faster. A very good friend of mine who was a winner back then once told me, "You just have to keep trying stuff; you don't know if it will work until you try it. The fastest guys are the ones who are always working on their cars" ;)

4. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Heck, they've always been hard to find!

5. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

Anyone remember a guy named Danny Carlucci from Broomall,Pa. that was associated with the "Northwind " car? He owned a body shop in Broomall and was a pretty good body guy.

6. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

wow! a 100 pages, this has been the greatest thread on the hamb, as ive said before i have learned more about jr. stockers from this thread (for building my 56 chevy sedan delivery "recreation") then many years of going through stacks of old magazines! lets go for 200 pages now. lets start hearing from some of the old west-coast heros! many thanx to,colsey,bob rice 56 pontiac i/sa and every one else who contributes!!!

7. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hi again guys, I will be sure to tell Scotto the whereabouts of the 55 Nomad-I guess he'll like to know. I also told Ed Racis about the website and thread. I found some old photos of him and when I gave them to him I actually saw a tear in his eye. That really made his day!

8. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

I remember Danny, but not in association with the Northwind car. In the early 1970's I think he was running a M/P Corvette. "Dancing Bear" comes to mind.

9. tom sheehan

tom sheehan

Hi Guys

I'm new here...........
    I do alot of SS racing and also watched 40 years of stock and SS racing (while my father and I raced NHRA and IHRA).
    I also collect old and new drag racing photos.
    Here are a few pics of a fellow pittsburgher (former SS world champ Jim Boburka).....
    These are two of his early stockers that he ran...........
    (both pics were taken at Pittsburgh International Dragway)

The War Wagon

[​IMG]

Hardluck wagon

[​IMG]

tom sheehan

10. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

I remember him. I never knew him personally but we lived in Havertown which is next to Broomall and everyone knew of him and his bodyshop.

11. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Tom,
    The "Dancing Bear" Corvette was Chip Baney.
    Bob R

12. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Don't remember if I posted this one before or not. Bill "Redman" Floyd photo.

Attached Files:

13. biscaynes

biscaynes

speaking of bill izykowski (drove blevins 55 nomad)...
    he raced a '66 biscayne? and a '69 impala?...

anyone have pictures? ;)

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

WOW!!!, a hundred pages. How about a hundred more? Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Welcome to the NHRA Jr. Stock Forum Tom. Thanks for the pictures and info on Jim Boburka, his name will certainly go on our 'LIST' ( 1716 ) at the next update.

Would you share some more Jr. Stock images from your collection?

16. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

[quote=WGuy;
    I've spoken to a few people who "were there" back then and the understanding I received was that only lift was checked. Apparently, that is not true. There sure are a LOT of stories though about "cheater" cams in the stock classes that were never caught by tech. Maybe they just weren't checked.

Thanks for the "Welcome". The cam rule changed in 1985 when they started checking only the lift and they also allowed any spring pressures as long as the spring was the same size as original. Like many others I wished I had some pictures of my 69 Corvette I raced in H/S (todays F/S) 10.5 lb class. I did have the pleasure (?) of racing Larry Lombardo at 75-80 Dragway one Sat. night. He had his "BUCK SHOT" 350 Nova at the time in 1970 or 71. It was close as I had him on the tree but he came by at the finish line. I think I ran a 12.70 something to his 12.50 something. I tried racing it in S/S when the rule change everyone to S/S in 1972 but with the larger tires I broke everything but the radio and steering wheel ! Prior to getting drafted for a southeast asia "vacation" in 1966 I raced a street driven 65 Plymouth 426 street wedge Belvedere with an automatic. I won a number of trophies from Capitol, Aquasco, and Manassas Va. Drag strips and I still have most of them. When I came back from the NAM I was stationed at Ft. Knox Kentucky where I raced a street driven 66 Corvette in E/SP at Ohio Valley and won a couple of times. I spent a lot of Friday nights back then at US 60 watching all of the stockers and S/S while counting the days until I got released from the Army. I saw many of future "STARS" learning thier trade at these tracks back in the day. I also spent some leave time at the 68 Indy Nationals and got to see Larry Lombardo win the stock eliminator title in his 61 Crovette. Great times. This site brings back many memories. Thanks. P.S. I forgot to mention that I had Tony Pizza prepare the Corvettes cylinder heads in 1971.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  17. Dmystix

Dmystix

Top right is Bill Russell, Endicott/Binghamton, NY area.
    Bottom left looks like Jim Fagan, Honeybrook, Pa ?? @ York ( CRS, or maybe CSS, at work here!!!)
    Both previously mentioned in this thread.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  18. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks Bundy!

I think reaching '100 Pages' has surprised everyone, including 'colsey' who started this thread. Aside from the few members you've named, there are many other excellent regular contributors including (but certainly not limited to) ... '65deluxe,' 'TMcCrea,' 'WGuy,' 'Down South Racer,' 'markyac,' 'Old Tech Inspector,' and 'bicaynes.' Some of the guys that you don't see (post) too often 'fly under the radar,' by 'networking' with other members via H.A.M.B.'s excellent (and free) 'Private Message' service.

And speaking of the West Coast ... YES, I think we'd all like to hear MORE from Division Seven guys!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  19. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I heard a rumor that the Mid Atlantic Drag Racing Association (MANDRA) is planning on having a seperate catagory for Jr. Stock type cars in thier racing program. Has anyone heard of the same rumor?

20. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

I got to work with him when he was driving /painting/ wrenching on the Phillips and Grasso C/MP 67 Camaro. He taught me about acid dipping parts and wheelbase moving etc etc etc but had some cool stories about the Northwind car while we worked on the Camaro. That's why I was asking. I know he passed away a long time ago now.Thanks guys

21. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

Yeah,I'm with you. I have poured over those magazines for years but this is really a lot of fun and very informative. I hope it continues until the York Junior Stock reunion next year(2010 ) ....it is next year ,right? Isn't that the plan so far??

22. Welcome Tommy,
    Let's see some more from PID.
    Just don't go past the HAMB year limit. Don't know where that is, but somebody will let you know about it.
    You can put the Edgewater, Corvette on the roof photo on the Drag cars in motion thread!

Yac

23. John Mason

John Mason
    from S. Cal

He had a 66 Biscayne, 427/425 B/S. Was runner up to Dave Bortman for the World Championship. He also had a 69 Camaro 396/325 in SS for a little while. I saw a posting somewhere showing him as a long time service manager for a Chevy dealer in Jersey.

24. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Nunzi Romano's '62 Super Duty Pontiac.

Attached Files:

25. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Here's a Bill Holmes picture of Bill's '66 Biscayne that I posted earlier in the thread.

Attached Files:

26. 1965 AWB Goldfinger

1965 AWB Goldfinger

OK, guys....for what it's worth....I was an entrant at the 1965 NHRA Nationals running my 1963 aluminum front end Plymouth MaxWedge in AA/SA. I posted a 12.13 in class eliminations which was good enuf to qualify to Super Stock Eliminator running with all of the "big guys"...Stricker, Stiles, etc, etc but the tower got my time slip mixed up and didn't post my car number at the staging lanes when they started lining up....biggest disappointment of my young life (23 at the time)...

I ran down to the NHRA Tower and whined at Jack Hart (Wally's assistant at the time) and he basically told me "tough luck"...what's a guy to do ?

Attached Files:

27. I really dig this car, so cool! Love those early lightweight 421 Pontiacs. I wanna know where the hell he found all those aluminum parts!
    -Dean

28. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Anyone know who this is? Bill Holmes photo.

Attached Files:

29. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Here's another '63 Plymouth. Bill "Redman" Floyd photo.

Attached Files:

30. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

It was a dreary Sunday afternoon in the Baltimore suburb of Pimlico ... October 20, 1968. A few of us got together and went to the local movie theater to watch the live closed-circuit telecast of the NHRA World Finals.

Toward the end of the 3+ hour telecast they showed the Stock final run between Bill's '66 and Dave Boertman's (P/S) '59.

I think Dave got about a three-second head start. It was 'edge-of-your-seat' close and it sure changed Boertman's 'career path.' My friends and I definitely got our five bucks worth!

*Colesy ... I'm sure you know. What were the times on that run?

Attached Files: