Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Lifters on an OLD Cam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39 All Ford, Jun 2, 2009.

1. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Drawing from what I remember from HIGH SCHOOL auto class (A long time ago!) I want to say that new lifters on an old cam is OK... but I would like a little confirmation.

I "refreshed" my 341 LYB a few weeks ago but it is more than aparant that I SHOULD have replaced my lifters as there is one that is obviously a little worse for the wear. The ticking will have to go...

So,, am I right , is it ok to put new lifters on an old cam?

(I know that old lifters on a new cam is a big no!)

2. duste01

duste01

long as there are no flat spots your good.

.....on the cam that is....

3. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

The cam looks cool to my eye... I am kicking myself in the ass for not changing those lifters though...

I SHOULD have asked this question a few weeks ago... I don't know what is wrong with me, I have a great tool like the HAMB and I don't use it...

Thanks for the reply!

4. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I've only done it once, and to be sure the cam wasn't flat, I used a magnetic-base dial indicator on the lobes while turning the motor over to make sure the nose of the lobe and heel of the base were consistent on all lobes. I'm not saying you have to do that. Usually if a cam is flat, you can see it with the naked eye or a magnifying glass.

5. Can't hurt. First look at your pushrods to make certain they all spin continuously while idling.

As an aside, the Chevy Power book says that a cam is as good as it looks, so if you have one out you must understand that you can see a wear pattern on the lobes, and the lifter should, on a good cam, contact to one side of the base circle then as it comes up on the ramp gradually cross till it contacts full on the nose. Carefully inspect the nose for any metal fatigue, which is a warning sign not to be ignored.

6. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

With new lifters, break in the cam again as it where entirely new, so 20 min. at 2000-2500 rpm.

I have been known :rolleyes: to put used lifters on a used cam.
    Even worse, these were used Solid lifters, put together from 2 different sets, put on an also used hydraulic cam. Adjustable rockers took care of the mechanical play.
    Being racking up the miles on the car ever since. Ofcourse this is only to be done if you're feeling lucky today. But don't tell anyone though, they might start a discussion about it. ;) :D

7. Don't doubt that someone has already answered this but new lifters on an old cam is OK. Old lifters on a new cam is a bad thing.

The lifters wear into the cam and all cams are a little different. The lifter is the part that is made to wear the cam is not.

8. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

also make sure you put some zddp add.in the oil or the new lifters wont last 20 minutes!!!!