Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Banger block in the works.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58custom, Aug 11, 2011.

1. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

First 2 iron Winfields. Right out of the molds with no clean up or shot blasting. Sorry for the blurry picture. Took a lot of medicine today to get this far.

Tod Iron winfield.jpg Iron winfield.jpg

2. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

On my way home from the iron foundry Kevin Prus Sr. called me about the 6:1 aluminum he put on an engine and had running. I went there and mad a video of it running. I'll try to get it posted on Youtube. Not sure if it can be loaded on to this forum. I'll try.

Nope. Wouldn't work.

Tod

Outback and Dannerr like this.
  3. Yum Yum!!!
    Get better soon, great progress.
    Thanks

4. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

Try this for the 6:1 stock looking aluminum first run:

Tod

5. It's all looking good!

6. Thanks for being so persistent, Tod! It all looks really good! :D
    If chambers can be switched, it opens for a lot of possibilities in order to find the best chamber design! So looking forward to hear, what you come up with next! :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I have the 2 standard chamber Winfileds in the shop and the pattern is reset to make a crow's foot chamber sample next. I might get to the foundry tomorrow to do that.

Tod

ebtm3, BCCHOPIT, Dannerr and 2 others like this.
  8. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I wasn't able to get to the foundry until yesterday. The first crow's foot chambered iron head will be cast soon. I will be machining the 2 regular iron heads today. Might not get finished though, since I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon.

Tod

waxhead, BCCHOPIT and ROCKER77 like this.
  9. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Can't wait for the crows-foot head.

BCCHOPIT likes this.
  10. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Thanks for your work Tod!

11. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I machined the 2 iron Winfield castings and bolted one to an original block. Not bad for the first samples. I'm anxious to get these on running engines asap. I didn't take pictures because the bench the block is on is all cluttered and it would make for a bad looking background. Actually, ALL horizontal surfaces in my shop are cluttered!

Tod

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Dannerr, waxhead and volvobrynk like this.
  12. Good work Tod, show us some pics too.
    And as for the horizontal surfaces being cluttered, remember what Einstein said;
    "If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?"
    Have a Happy New Year, John

13. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

OK. I'll throw some pictures up, but remember, I told you what a mess all my benches are in. I'm literally working on at least 6 different projects right now on top of daily production. "Cluttered" is an understatement!

Tod

volvobrynk and hot-irons like this.
  14. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

IMG_4548.jpg IMG_4538.jpg

Here ya go. Iron on the block and aluminum in the small mill doing spark plug holes that I didn't program on the production machine.

Tod

15. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Looking good, thanks for the update Tod.

16. Thanks Tod, looking good.
    That is also a nice carby/manifold sitting there in the background.

17. Autolite

Autolite

Great work, Tod. I really appreciate how you've kept us all informed on the progress. Thank you!

18. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

projects 001.jpg
    Here you see one surface plate with the new Thomas pattern, a fresh-cut stock looking head, slated for 6:1 aluminum (or whatever else I want to put under it), the chamber insert for the dual plug (per cylinder) aluminum heads Snyder is after, which can also be made in iron, with a newly cut single carb downdraft intake pattern sitting on top (the red thing). That's just one 24x36 inch surface plate with 4 different projects on it. More pictures make it look like I'm not getting anything accomplished.

Tod

19. Looks like you are getting plenty accomplished to me. This is all very interesting, thanks for your work in "advancing the sport"

volvobrynk and ROCKER77 like this.
  20. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

You are definitely keep busy Tod. Keep up the good work. All of these upcoming goodies are no good for my bank balance.

21. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I just finished the machining on the first aluminum and iron Winfields. I have 1 more to finish up today, then I have to wait for the crow's foot version to get cast. I will be testing these first ones to make sure everything is good. Then it is into production.

I have a block to finish up today or tomorrow also. The core shop needs constant nagging to get back with me on production cores for the blocks. You can't believe how much nagging it takes over many months to get even one thing done. Goodbye USA. It was a decent run up till now. We've managed to educate ourselves a generation or 2 of effeminate morons. They sure are good at texting on their little phones, though.

Tod

Dannerr, kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  22. ebtm3

ebtm3

Gotta watch quality off shore, Tod---a lotta crap comes from there. Especially India --never made anything good in my experience. Might be better to re-consider. US might be the lesser of two evils.

Herb

23. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I didn't mean I was taking work off-shore. I meant the USA is on the way out. You can't have a country if you can't make stuff. People in my area are more interested in drugs than work. It is very sad.

Tod

Dannerr and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Will you have any heads available for sale by spring? Is there a waiting list? I am going to need one for my trog entry cars have to be done by April, but I could swap a new head sometime in may. Race is June 4th I think
    Matt

25. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I hope to be producing by spring. I do have a few depositors in line first.

I'll try to get a couple of pics of the completed ones posted today.

Tod

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    waxhead and volvobrynk like this.
  26. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

I heard back from the core shop about my engine block cores and things are finally under way now to get the block back on "schedule". That is very good news to me.

I took the first iron Winfield to Snyder's today to be evaluated and we discussed spark plug needs of customers. These first heads use the 7/8-18 spark plug, but the feedback from Don was that most people would want the 14mm plugs. So we screwed in the adapters to go from 7/8-18 to 14mm plugs and they were a perfect fit. That might just be the way I end up selling them. Because the 7/8 plugs and the 14mm plugs have such different thread lengths I would have to modify the pattern (no big deal if I need to, or just cut another one) to use 14mm plugs without adapters.

Pics coming soon.

Tod

27. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Nothing wrong with a 7/8 plug
    I think they look better....

Dannerr and ROCKER77 like this.
  28. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

first winfield 002.jpg
    I took a picture of the bottom but it is too blurry to post. I'll try a different camera tomorrow.

Tod

29. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Looking good Tod, getting close now.

30. 427designer

427designer
    from Ohio

first winfield.jpg
    Here is the deck side picture with a different camera.

Tod

MJW, waxhead, ROCKER77 and 4 others like this.