Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mystery Windshield? HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodjerry, Sep 2, 2009.

1. hotrodjerry

hotrodjerry
    from York, PA

I have posted some photos of a windshield I got in a collection of parts. It is just at 38" wide and 13" high. It has hinge brackets on the top like a Ford, but has a sissor type crank out mech. that is not familiar. Can anyone help me identify this windshield?
    Thanks
    Jerry

Attached Files:

2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Is it curved, or is that just an illusion?

3. sawzall

sawzall

i'll guess 35-36 plymouth

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

When were Ford windshield crankout mechanism NOT scissors style?

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

One of the major manufacturers for windshield and door window regulator mechanisms as well as door latch assemblies was WISS. Yes, the folks who make tin snips and aircraft snips and garden tools of every variety!
    Many Ford and Mopar products share the same door latches and other parts of this nature becasue they used the same supplier.

6. hotrodjerry

hotrodjerry
    from York, PA

Windshield is flat. It's very similar to a 33 or 34 Ford but not wide enough.
    Does the butterfly on the crank look familiar?

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Has anybody looked at an Anglia/Prefect/Thames ? That funky bullet nosed crank handle says Europe to me.

8. hotrodjerry

hotrodjerry
    from York, PA

You may be right on target. He owned an Anglia. The ones I looked at didn't have this type of windshield. I can't seem to find a photo of a Thames or Anglia with a windshield that matches. He also had a Fiat Topolino, but it looks different as well. ?

9. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

The widshield in my Fiat is 13"x36". But the shape is different. I thought maybe the windshield belongs to a Austin Bantam.

10. sawzall

sawzall

this explains alot..

thank you!

11. jamesdfo

jamesdfo

Jerry: I was given a Prefect w/s frame to use in my Thames (they interchange), and I just ran out & measured it. It is ~37-3/4" across at the bottom, and about 12-13/16" top to bottom near the center. That's awful close to the dimensions you posted, so Thames/prefect is a likely suspect:)

EDIT: And BTW: have a real good look at the inside portion, it appears as if the one I had may have been in a car that leaked, as there are a number of very small hairline cracks across the inside. My theory is this is from water getting INSIDE the frame and FREEZING??

HTH
    James

12. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Could be Citroen

13. vertible59

vertible59

I think you nailed it, although the Anglia w/s was set in a rubber gasket. The Prefect had that type w/s frame and crank mechanism. A '33 or '34 American Ford gasket will fit the frame by sectioning it at the top and botom center. The corners are the same. Even the chrome fillers where the frame is put together at the bottom are the same as '33-'34 American Ford.

14. Hot-Rod-Howard

Hot-Rod-Howard

It's not a Mopar (dodge or plymouth). I have a 36 plymouth coupe and the shape of that frame looks identical to mine, however the "ears" where the hinges mount are different and mine measures around 41.5" wide and 14" tall in the smallest section (right in the middle). 1936 was Mopar's only year for the teardrop corners.

15. Topolino windshields ever had the crank out option.

16. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thames & Prefect Windshield. Thames are Black, Prefects are Chrome. I Could use a spare..........or trade $

[email protected]

[​IMG]