Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My New Project: 1956 Cadillac Sedan Deville Resurrection Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Sep 26, 2013.

1. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Is that Eastwood's new "patina protector" you're using...??? If not, check it out...

You get that engine back yet...???
    R-

2. chstitans42

chstitans42

I wonder what the difference is between clear coat and "patina protector"??? Sounds like a marketing scheme to get dummies to pay another $2-$3 on a can of clear....

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Well, they claim it doesn't "shine" like clear coat...but I don't know, I haven't been dumb enuff to try it...
    and you didn't answer my question...engine back yet..???

R-

4. chstitans42

chstitans42

I thought the point of clearing patina was to get some shine... oh well maybe I missed the point of painting over rust! As for the motor no I have not gotten it back yet...

5. chstitans42

chstitans42

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I guess in your case that was the point...I've always been under the impression 'patina' was supposed to look as Nature intended: dull, lifeless, primer showing thru and worn from years of polishing or sitting in the sun...and NOT shiny. At least, that's what Eastwood's "patina protector" is supposed to do and it doesn't shine.

R-

Here's some 54 year old 'patina' on my wagon- old paint, original factory primer showing thru, scratches, minor dents and definitely no shine : IMG_44404.JPG

7. chstitans42

chstitans42

Are you going to use patina protector on that one? I would consider it if the car was all one color.

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

No, I'm not...it will remain that way until the next owner decides to paint it...read into that the wagon is for sale...and I'm onto my next project-a '48 Cadillac Sedanet...!!!

R-

9. txturbo

txturbo

Clear coat looks the same if you add flattening agent.

10. Any weatherstripping that can be bought by the foot from a roll, like you might use on a trunk lid or some older truck doors, can be pretty reasonably priced.

But if it's molded to shape to fit a specific door opening or roof rail it gets real spendy in a hurry. This is even true for fairly common late model vehicles. Low volume repop stuff for older cars is going to make your "Check Wallet" light come on!
    :eek:

11. Oh yeah!! Let the cool write-ups and slick custom touches begin!!!

Bill

12. chstitans42

chstitans42

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

YOU are VERY lucky the whole car didn't burn...guess you know now WHY interiors are removed before any grinding and welding is done on any car...take a lesson my friend...and have a fire extinguisher handy...!!!

R-

14. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Yikes! It was fortunate your neighbor happened to see it before it got out of control. Is the headliner permanently damaged, or is it just smoke that can be cleaned off? If so, be very gentle - the threads in headliners that old are very delicate, it doesn't take much to tear the seams.

15. txturbo

txturbo

wow....you got lucky.

16. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Now I don't feel so stupid for setting my fender on fire with the paint stripper. :confused:

17. chstitans42

chstitans42

That is the thing! I did have one right there the whole time ready to go! It went up in smoke three hours after I left... Who would have thought!!??!!?? Yes this is a lesson learned and will never be unlearned

18. chstitans42

chstitans42

Yeah I think the headliner is staying that color. All attempts up to this point have not yeilded success...

19. chstitans42

chstitans42

I was thinking about not uploading a video, but I thought heck, it might save someone else frommaking the same mistake!

20. chstitans42

chstitans42

Yes, and now you know why I need your sseat back... Where in TX are you anyways?

21. loudbang

loudbang

Buy that observant neighbor a couple of cold ones.

22. Probably what saved you from an even bigger mess is that it looks like you had all the windows rolled up and the interior was sealed up fairly air-tight. Not a lot of oxygen to get a really good fire started.

And keep yourself surrounded with good neighbors. :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  23. consider yourself lucky bro, just a few months ago my buddy's project burned to the ground after a brake failure, its the worst feeling in the world seeing all your hard work and headaches go up in flames. another question, as of painting the car, have you considered just rattle canning the entire thing? it sounds crummy but if you do a good job of it it'll come out really nice. itll save some big time cash too

24. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Headliners can be spray painted if you get the right stuff.

25. chstitans42

chstitans42

That might be the next step once I get it all running driving and dependable. We shall see! When I heard about it that day it was over text, and had those images running through my head, everything up in smoke. I sure got lucky!

26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.The trials and tribulations of us old car nuts.
    Those old Caddys are the tits.Great cruisers.Great vacation cars.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

27. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Painting a Caddy with spray cans is pretty expensive, considering how many cans you'll need (about 30 minimum IMO) & considering how cheap you can buy a modern paint sprayer. Even a cheap one will do a better job than you'll do with rattlecans. Paint costs much less in a gallon can.

28. txturbo

txturbo

I would call a company like Serv Pro about that headliner. They are experts in fire/smoke/water damage restoration.

29. aldixie

aldixie

I found your videos on YouTube by accident. Didn't know you were a Hamb member. Been following your videos with interest. I bought a 56 Sedan Deville today. Gets delivered in a couple of weeks.

30. chstitans42

chstitans42

Awesome! Someone else with a Sedan Deville! Seems like in this day and age you have to be a hamb member in order to get the answers to the crazy amounts of questions you get. Have any pics of yours?