Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My New Project: 1956 Cadillac Sedan Deville Resurrection Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Sep 26, 2013.

1. chstitans42

chstitans42

I actually plan on calling him today!

2. chstitans42

chstitans42

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Really cold...??? Try 13 below in Denver the last couple of nights, zero degrees for the mid-day high...then add four inches of snow on top of that...that's C-O-L-D...!!!

Good thing I have a heated garage and my Caddy is slumbering peacefully...!!!

C-mon Spring...!!!

R-

4. vdubluv247

vdubluv247

Love the snowy look lol

5. chstitans42

chstitans42

You are right it isnt cold, but 20 or 13 below, you still would not want to work outside on a car in either!

6. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

Looks like the engine is heading in the right direction. You should consider looking into the condition of the transmission. If it is a Hydramatic and has not run for a while then most likely the seals are dried out and these trans can cost between $1000 for a kit rebuild with out major parts replacement to over $2000 to $3000 for a major part rebuild. Good internal parts for these transmissions are getting harder to find. Just went thru this on my 55 Olds rebuild. Good luck and I also will be watching this post with interest.

7. If the Hydro is junk I would put in a 700r4. Somebody makes an adapter because my dad did one for a guy in a 55 CDV about 10 yrs ago.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. chstitans42

chstitans42

I really hope the trans is not junk. If it is I will be putting a different trans in it, because I do not want to spend $3000 on a trans rebuild.

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

IF you can find an old guy that knows those trannies, he'll fix you right up...we had my brother's '54 Caddy Hydramatic rebuilt and it cost $1700 total...and he took it out and put it back in. Best part is his stocker 331" engine/Hydramatic tranny combo gets 21 mpg on the highway...can't hardly beat that with a 700R-4. There's hope for yours yet.

FWIW, "putting a different trans in" isn't going to save you any money...around here, a good rebuilt 700R-4 will run you at least $1200, maybe $1800...and a tranny adapter will run you around $1000...and shortening a driveshaft is going to cost you $150-300, so you're already into it for $2500 minimum...(and Scott De Shields prices are California prices, higher than the rest of the U.S.) and then, if you don't have any "transmission" skills, you'll need to find someone that can adjust the linkage correctly to keep it from burning itself up the first time you take it out on the street...oh, I forgot, you'll need to build a new tranny mount and perhaps modify that "X" under the car...a 700R-4 is a lot longer than the stocker (then you have to figure out how to adapt shifter linkage and speedo cable)...lots of time under the car and time is money...hate to be the bearer of bad news, but "putting a different tranny" in the car when the stocker is already in place and easy to remove, rebuild and replace is still the best bet. Surely there's STILL some old tranny guys around Dallas...I'd be on the phone...!!!

Then again, just perhaps the stock tranny is good enuff for your drives...!!! Good Luck...!!!

R-

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  10. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

The up side to the Hydramatic is when running correctly they are just about bullet proof. They were the trans of choice for dragsters for years. Keep the fluid changed on a regular basis stay on top of throttle rod adjustment and the trans will run well for years.

11. I bet you get some puzzled looks when you claim that kind of gas mileage, but I wouldn't say it was out of the question. You may not have the overdrive and locking torque converter of the 700R4, but if I remember correctly, when the Hydramatic hits 3rd gear the power flow thru the fluid coupling changes. It bypasses the slipping fluid coupling and all rotation goes thru the converter (torus?) outer housing at a 1:1 ratio. Put another way it acts like a lock-up converter in 3rd and 4th gear. :eek:

12. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

I'll lay claim to you being right, that 331 & hydro, (When it wasn't puking trans fluid every hour), did fantastic. I didn't have a working gas gauge, I didnt need it, once every two weeks fill up was never off, Daily driven.

You certainly will notice a difference with the 700R4.
    But from my point a few, working with both on the same car, Stock is less stress But more cash, fabbed costs a chunk less. But now at 24, I have grey hair.

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yep, there's been many friends drive with us in their cars and they cannot believe it when they have to stop for gas, my brother sits and waits cuz he's still got half a tank left...!!! They'll all swear to it now...they've seen it.

I believe "chstitans42" told me he is about the same age as you...and IF you've got grey hair, HRToomer, from putting a 700R-4 into your Caddy...I'm not sure "chstitans42" wants, or needs, gray hair at that age...!!! LOL...!!! I agree, "stock is less stress"...!!!

R-

14. chstitans42

chstitans42

Engine builder called and said that there were three valves to stuck on the heads that it took a couple of days to finally get them out. no wonder I had so many bent push rods!

15. No doubt!! And they used them in WWII Tanks. Right??
    Love this build and I love this old red sled.
    Ice pictures are cool :cool:, Santa Claus could be rollin' in this.

JT

16. chstitans42

chstitans42

Does anyone have a lead on a good transmission shop in the DFW area that will take on this trans? Most are saying it is too old. Thanks!

17. chstitans42

chstitans42

Small update for today. I called around a few transmission shops and had one of two results:
    1. They do not work on anything this old
    2. They wanted like $3500 to even consider it.

I had the same results until I called a friend who referred me to a retired Dallas Transmission builder named Irby Westmorland. He used to have a transmission shop near downtown Dallas and worked there for forty years until the city bought his land. He said he has build hundreds of these Caddy trasmissions and even refuses to use the Chinese parts. He quoted me $1200 to $1500 to do a total rebuild on it. Does any one know of him? He is the best lead I have so far and will go with him.

18. chstitans42

chstitans42

Hey guys I am looking for some hard to find parts! Please watch this video and let me know if you have any of them. Thanks!

19. chstitans42

chstitans42

Found a 1955 penny under the sound barrier inside my '56 Caddy. Pretty cool considering that it probably was put there by an assembly line worker, and has not moved from that spot for 58 years

20. F.C.Fury

F.C.Fury

Haha thats awesome!

21. chstitans42

chstitans42

Started on the rust repair today. Slowly but surely!

22. chstitans42

chstitans42

23. chstitans42

chstitans42

Made a video on the front seat.

24. loudbang

loudbang

Nice job on the clean up. Those products look like they work real good.

25. It's amazing to see what a bit of elbow grease does for the shiny bits and seat trim pieces. The seat back panel with the ashtray and lighter is a work of art in itself. :cool:

Since you're going to the trouble of doing a little editing to your videos, you might consider going to Big Lots or a thrift store and getting a $6.00 tripod. You won't believe how much better your video will look and you won't have to do so much juggling of parts and camera. :D

26. chstitans42

chstitans42

Not a bad idea. I am glad someone is watching them!

27. chstitans42

chstitans42

A little bit of inspiration that I found on ebay. It is an exact clone of my car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. philo426

philo426

Awesome project!

29. CadillacCasey

CadillacCasey
    from Marion, MS

Look at this on eBay:

1955 - 1956 Cadilac Drivers Vent Window Frame

http://bit.ly/1b2swaL

This might be the vent window you were looking for.

30. chstitans42

chstitans42

Thanks for the link. I ended up fixing my window frame, and now just need the actual vent window itself! If you could find me one of those that would be awesome