Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My New Project: 1956 Cadillac Sedan Deville Resurrection Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Sep 26, 2013.

1. chstitans42

chstitans42

The only issue with the electric chokes is that there is a rod that connects to the outside of the choke housing I beleive to control the fast idle. I am pretty sure that needs to be there and the electric choke wont work. You can see it in the pic above.

2. Cutting, flaring, and bending your own tubing is a helluva lot cheaper than anything else. Seriously, it's plumbing for hot air, and nothing more. No pressure, no worries about leaks, and no fluid of any kind.

3. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

This car is probably another boat anchor!!! OK it could be 10 Prius's. I'm jealous. Lets see the running and driving video. I think the best video was when you guys were thinking you were going to push it up on that trailer. LMAO One last comment: What LIE did you tell U-Haul about what you were hauling on their trailer. I told the same lie when I was in Dallas picking up my '61 plymouth 2dr HT with a U-Haul trailer. Get to work!!!

4. chstitans42

chstitans42

Best video? Well if you are referring to the first video, your about 35 of so behind!
    Yes, that day we hauled a "corvette"... but don't tell anyone!

5. My U-haul fib of choice is "69 VW beetle."

6. chstitans42

chstitans42

7. Fantastic to have that baby running again!! Sounds GREAT.

8. bigdaddyking

bigdaddyking

9. On a related note, is that your old 58 on Craigslist in San Antonio?

10. chstitans42

chstitans42

Yes it sure is! The guy says he needs a new roof, so he had to sell it. It is a shame he is getting rid of it, but he did fix the AC. I wish I could buy it back BUT no $ and no space...

11. chstitans42

chstitans42

Looks like the transmission oil cooler is leaking coolant underneath the trans. Anyone know where to get a new one?

12. I can't recall where I read it, but I believe many aftermarket transmission coolers will work, it's just a matter of the plumbing and attaching the cooler.

13. chstitans42

chstitans42

I am hoping to keep it stock... but this might be my only option. Ill keep you guys updated on what happens!

14. chstitans42

chstitans42

15. Great to see you moving under your own power! :cool: The whine might be the trans if it's a bit low on fluid, I guess. But it might also be the p/s pump needing bleeding and/or a bit more fluid. Or the generator or water pump. Easy to check by removing the appropriate belt(s) and running the engine a bit to see if the noise goes away.

I don't think I'd worry too much about the trans feeling a little "clunky" when it shifts, unless it's knocking your fillings loose. :rolleyes: But there does seem to be some critical adjustments that have to be made for a Hydramatic to shift like it's supposed to. It will never feel like a late model automatic and soft, slow, drawn-out shifts will just make more heat and more wear on the clutches.

16. chstitans42

chstitans42

I checked the PS reservoir before I started it just to be sure. It also was full during startup as well so had some time to run. The generator i have not touched, but the water pump is brand new. I am hoping that all that needs to happen is the trans needs to be broken in. I gotta check the TV rod adjustment, but other than that, I a not sure if there is any other adjustments that can be done.
    Thanks!

17. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

take it to who built the trans its not something thats gonna break in if its in the trans

18. The reservoir may appear full but some systems can be fussy about having air bled out of them. Just something to keep in mind if it does turn out to be a p/s pump noise. ;)

19. chstitans42

chstitans42

20. Sounds like an air leak from the transmission.
    Check the adjustment ports, maybe?

21. chstitans42

chstitans42

Having issues getting the intake manifold to seal. Already tried new gaskets and rtv and still leaks on the #1,3, and 4 cylinders. I spray carb cleaner on the bottom edge of the intake and the rpm goes up every time. Any tips or trick to help out?

22. Maybe get the intake manifold planed down a few thousandths on either side at a machine shop?
    Alternately, maybe double-up on the intake manifold gaskets?

23. Torque specs correct? Are you bottoming out the bolts into the head?
    maybe up the torque a pound or two and see what happens.

24. chstitans42

chstitans42

It was torqued to 25-30 ft lbs as per the book. I am using the stock bolts, but honestly I think my intake is warped. Is it safe to use double gaskets? I have never done that before BUT the thought did cross my mind.

25. chstitans42

chstitans42

I beleive I torqued them at 27, but I bet I could go up to 35 and see how it goes

26. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

also bring it up to temp and retorque it

27. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I didn't read this all, but if you shaved the heads and/or decked the block to clean them up, you must shave the intake manifold too, or it'll never fit right. This is true of any V engine with a single intake manifold.

Dan Hay likes this.
  28. chstitans42

chstitans42