Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My new daily driver / 60 Chevrolet 4dr Impala

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Oct 3, 2012.

1. x-shift

x-shift

Glad to hear you're keeping after it! Cool pics, BTW, makes me wish I had done more of that back then...

2. Hamtruck

Hamtruck

Wow, I am also building a custom 60 Chevy. Mine is a 2 door Bel-Air, very close to completion. Believe it or not I put in 59 Pontiac tail lights, and purchased a 60 Merc grill. I can't figure out a good way to install the grill. Care to share any tips?

3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been talking to Ken (aka El Camino kid) a fellow HAMBer about how to install a 60 Merc
    grill in a Impala. I took some good detail pics last night and I will get them posted tomorrow
    on the HAMB.We had to trim a little out of the middle to get it too fit. Not 100% happy the
    way that it turned out but its kool for a driver. Mine sticks out more then most because I
    mounted mine with the existing headlight buckets. If I didn't use them I could sink my grill
    further back but using them made for a clean install.....Stay tune tomorrow I will post my pics.

I have about 1,000 miles on her so far and have been pleased with the results. Lot more
    power then my tired 283 had and she rides great. Thanks guys for all the help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy Trails, Mick

4. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

Thanks Mick!!!! Im sure others are looking foward to seeing this also! Ken.

5. Hamtruck

Hamtruck

Hey guys, here are some pics of the 60 Im working on.

Attached Files:

6. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its hard to find anything kooler then a 60 Merc grill but a close second has
    to be '59 Bonnie tail lights.Very kool project can't wait to see her all together.

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Ain't nothing cooler than a Super Straight Black car...that '60 is going to look good with a Merc grille in it...wonder why Chevy never opted for a cool grille instead of that poor aluminum excuse for what they had...???

Hope our '60 wagon comes out as straight...!!!

R-

8. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

I wish I could do the bonnie lights on my elkie, but unless I welded the tailgate shut, I dont think it would work. Im working out how to run the exhaust thru the valance.

9. El Camino Kid

El Camino Kid
    from 808

Hey Mick, did you have to cut the grill to get it to fit the opening?

10. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

What about a pair of '59 Catalinas? They are about half as long. I bought a pair and was thinking of using them until I finally bought a pair of Bonneville. On a Biscayne/Belair, they just barely wouldn't cover the mounting area of the two tail lights. Not sure if there still would be enough room on each side of a ElCamino/wagon.