Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration My high school sweet heart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Funkhouser, Jan 22, 2016.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Must be something wrong with me.
    Never paid much attention to the girls I was always under the hood of a car or racing a car or motorcycle.

2. 1low52

1low52

I saw the name of the thread and was curious. Then I saw who started it and was even more so.
    Peek-a-boo Ron, haven't seen you in a while. Good memories

Attached Files:

AHotRod and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My bud and I built a channeled '30 A Coupe in freshman year, he sold it to a sailor bud of mine. Sailor went on 11 month cruise, sold me the Coupe for a dollar.
    I installed MY flathead, (274") reversed steelies, and new 7.00 X 16 and 5.00 X 16, car was painted glossy black...very clean Acrylic enamel.
    My new girlfriend look great sitting close, with her long sable hair, (bench seat designed for such things) one of the coolest cars at school. (1958)

That year, I bought an original '36 five window, with original working radio. I installed a Mor Drop axle, reversed the eyes, and reversed 4 '50 Merc wheels, with U.S. Royal Masters, 6.40 front and 8.20 rear. Low rake, looked sneaky as hell in black primer.
    Girlfriend Janet liked it better than the Model A, but I'd trade off cars when I felt like it.
    Her grandmother saw the '36 in front of her house one day, and told her she wasn't to ride in that car any more, with that "word" on it.
    My Mom would constantly be in the 'wrong place' when I'd be working on it, and
    warn me about "the WORD" (the "F" one) she threatened to have it put on the car to 'remind' me!
    Well, I beat her to it. My striper bud, Shannon, stood in the footwell of the rumble seat and went to work.
    The "word" was proudly displayed in parenthesized white letters, 2.5" high, right above the back window: "OBSCENITY"
    Next time I went over to get the girlfriend, I masked the name off with a black primed paper patch.
    We got married right out of high school, and there's a word for what she turned into. She was history in 5 years.
    But she left me with a clone! (my son is 'Richinsanazay' on HAMB; he has a '27 'Nose Job', roadster with racecar nose...a 'chip off the old block')

4. Hay Timmy, yah this Hamb thing could be habit forming. I have hamb and eggs, then hamb and coffee, then hamb and everything . So Jackie says get off the Hamb, Sam I AM . I tell her I just need to finish reading one last post. ha. ha . But hay, she is my first thread. High School Sweet Hearts . You got any high school stories or pictures to post? I thought that it would be a fun thread. THANKS FOR THE KOOL PICTURE OF US PUSHING TODDS DRAG TRUCK !!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  5. Never said that your sweet heart had to be a Girl . Have any picture's?

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. prpmmp

prpmmp

I had neither:(! I guess it was the L on my forehead:eek:! Pete

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  7. Road Duster

Road Duster

Hi Mark, I never knew that was your car back then.

ct1932ford likes this.
  8. This is my wife's prom . We are married and I'm out of school she' s 16 and a senior that's her 69 Camaro ss 396 375 bhp Our new family car ha ha Can you say Paul Revere !British band theme .VERY FUNNY picture. 098.jpg

9. deucemac

deucemac

I graduated high school in '65. I drove my first car then, a '48 Ford coupe with a Hot 8th flathead. Soon married my high school sweetheart. Later divorced the sweetheart and sold the car. I STILL miss that car to this day!

Ron Funkhouser and volvobrynk like this.
  10. 5window

5window

No hot rods at my high school, although the state champion hurdles runner's dad got him a '65 GTO.
    Met my wife in college when I was running '66 Triumph Spitfire. Not a hot rod, but it was a great car to drive. Don't have the car (wish I did) but still married after 43 years (better deal). And there's that '31 out in the garage.

volvobrynk and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  11. 65 Impala, put in a 396, 4-speed. Twisted the tubes out of the 10 bolt! Lessons learned.-MIKE:rolleyes::D
    319.jpg
    283, powerglide in it's 1st life.
    325.jpg
    396, 4-speed Muncie.

12. KOOL 65 Impala like the tilt and taillight treatment . A fun ride for sure. lesson learned been there .lol

13. NICE RON.LOL. Bruce.

14. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

[​IMG]

My 1st car. '62 Chevy II Sedan. Warmed over 6-cylinder, dual exhaust and three speed on the floor. This is circa 1993. I drove this car when I was in college and until I was 21 and some drunken fraternity punk hit me. Notice the Limited Edition 1993 Olympic Charles Barkley Nikes. Those shoes would be worth more than that Nova today.

[​IMG]

My senior prom. Drove my Dad's 48 Ford. It was much nicer than my Nova. My date is missing from this photo but she looked like Paula Deen's ugly sister. This is May of '95.

15. Hi Frank, that be me! I beat Jerry Herald's built Sportster one night 3 times. From a dead stop, from a 5mph roll and from a 20mph roll. Best of all we did this on I95 West Ave entrance:eek: Try and do that todayo_O

16. mkebaird

mkebaird

Too poor for slicks - I had a hard enough time affording $35 for a set of 4 recaps!

17. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

62' unibody ford truck... Doesnt count I know, but my highschool sweetheart turned stripper when she got to college!!! and that does count! WOOHOO!

18. stronga

stronga

I still have the got the girl from 1977 but the car rusted our a lot faster than she did.

19. I think you may have taken better care of her. And there's nothing wrong with rust.

20. Here's a photo of a date in the old 38 . Note I had a shot gun on the tray behind the seat, and in High School ,funny how things change . 009.jpg I also would letter friends cars . We had cool names for them. There were a few of us that the only thing that We thought about were our CARS OR GIRLS! maybe things haven't changed all that much ha. ha.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    ct1932ford, wicarnut, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  21. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

In 86(graduation year) mine was a 64 Ford Falcon Sprint with a "K" code 289 and 4 spd. Actually still have it today but it's in a million parts in storage.

22. That's a rare car.Neat that you still have it. You need to put her back on the road . Was it your first car?

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

My first car. Not so rare. The 260 was long gone when I got it. My family had a doctor friend that collected Mustangs and he sold me the complete "K" code motor for $75 and then I had it bored .030, little bigger cam, aluminum intake and holley 650 DP. It ran 13.70's all day with the original BW t10 and open 3.25 rear. I loved and still love that car. The 289 eventually went into my dad's 62 comet where it overheated and cracked the back of the block. Still have all the internals though. The falcon had a 302 in it when I got it. I have a bunch of falcons. A 63 1/2 sprint convertible, a 63 1/2 hardtop parts car, my hardtop, another hardtop and a tubbed and caged 64 hardtop along with some other mid 60's fords. A 63 fairlane 500, a 66 fairlane GT(my parents bought in 67), a 66 big block XL 500 fairlane......
    I had two 64 sprint hardtops by the time I was 17. Thanks for your interest. BART.

24. This is a speaker I have because , we drove off and forgot to take it out of the passenger window of the 38 coupe. Cracked the glass pretty bad .Drove it like that forever. ha ha anyone have a picture or story of back in the day? 015.jpg

WC145 and ct1932ford like this.
  25. I think someone is obsessed with this thread!:rolleyes:

26. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Boy that speaker looks familiar! Spent damn near every Fri or Sat night at the Midway Drive In. Ah...memories.

Never broke a window but came damn close a few times.

27. My mom had a white one like that one ( same body style) for a while when I was little. Damned dependable and nice ride as I recall.

28. I think you are right , I got out my old scrap book, and took a trip down memory lane. Yes, I KNOW PUT DOWN THE BOOK AND WALK AWAY! ha. ha. This was my first thread ever, Plus I'm just learning how to navigate a p.c. a little bit. I'm surprised this thread has lasted a whole week . sorry I do get a little carried away sometimes LOL. I hope that it was Fun thought .

bowie and ct1932ford like this.
  29. Relax! It was a great idea for a thread.:cool: Have fun, that is what I am here for. I think:rolleyes:
    I just want to know where you are from.:confused: Good to get a perspective on cars and people. No I am not a stalker:eek:

30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ha! Speakers from:

Moonlite Movies, Santa Clara;
    El Rancho Drive in Theater, San Jose;
    Drive in theater on south Monterey highway (can't remember the name)
    Skyport (?) drive in, Santa Cruz.

Sold 'em all in the '70s at the Watsonville swap meet. Guys were savage about 'em!