Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My 34 roadster....sorta

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clark, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Clark

Clark

I started this a couple years ago and sorta stopped on it. Building cars for other people (free and paid) got it the way of doing mine. Well I did what I thought I wouldn't do....I sold my 48 pick up to buy me time to work on my car.

It started with me selling my 32 coupe after realizing I was more a roadster guy than a coupe guy. I was looking for a junk 34 coupe to cut up. Reggie put me onto this 34 that was a nice rust free (pretty much) car. Only thing is the car was rolled. Perfect car for me. Story is the car was a Sherriff's car and while chasing someone he rolled it in 1935.

Here's the car when I got it
    [​IMG]

Here it is less than an hour after it got in my garage
    [​IMG]

I started the frame with an original style crosmmember and a homemade front crossmember. the front of the frame is pinched 4 inches. I also added holes in the frame for cut outs. The idea was to leave the car unchannelled.

Well shit changes in 5 years. I changed my mind and wanted to channel the car. A customer needed my trunk floor for a 1000 point restoration. I tore the body completely apart and that's were I started a couple of weeks back. With a channelled floorpan bolted to my frame.
    [​IMG]

After getting the body somewhat welded back together I started on the motor and chassis.
    [​IMG]

You can see my exhaust cut outs will now have to be cut up into the body.
    [​IMG]

Runnin shine and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. metal man

metal man

I always like the cars you build. You are putting the top back on it...right?

3. freeze plug

freeze plug
    from Canton, CT

looks great, my 34 coupe is lacking its roof right now as well, i'll be interested to see how you tackle this

4. Clark

Clark

I started with the rear of the frame. I've got a cool old fabricated quickchange by Ogan and Zeigler. I wanted it to be seen so the tank will be moved inside. The rear of the frame was pulled up to the bottom of the body and the hump in the bottom of the frame was removed. I then made a spreader bar with a curve to mimic the back of the body.

This is where a bunch of guys will get their panties all wadded up. I didn't want an A spring sticking up in my trunk. I want to use this car and use the trunk! I started to use a 34 front spring infont of the quickie....but time is short and I just wasn't sure it would work. So I went with a tried and true method I've used before...airbags. they will be hidden infront of the rear.

The bags will mount up inside the crossmember right infront of the rear.
    [​IMG]

Then I mounted the motor and had to cut my nice firewall....I hated to do it but not gonna do the normal recess. I like the mounts. They're simple and leave plenty of room for steering.
    [​IMG]

The front (and rear) wishbones mount on a plate that connects the center crossmember. Unfortunately it's welded in so the motor will have to come out to get the tranny out. The rest of the frontend consists of a v8-60 axle with a spring mounted behind it, with 48 bones.
    [​IMG]

Here's the rear mounted with a set of 35 bones. I cut and rounded the back of the bones. You can barely see the lower bag mounts infront of the rear. Yes there's a trailer hitch on it. Need to do the panhard bar and shocks yet.
    [​IMG]

Here's the front complete with the armstrong shocks...just need to make a link for the shocks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. Man, looks awesome already.

6. Clark

Clark

The plan was to throw the car together in time for the Showdown Invitational....even though Jr has been helping me it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. There's just too much to do.

Today the body went back on. I couldn't help but mock it up a bit. This is where it should sit...hard to tell in the picture. The 37 truck grill carefully sitting where it should go. Next is to tackle the firewall and brace up the body some.
    Clark
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
    Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Lookin cool Clark, I wanna see how you do the door tops/windshield/dash area..

8. Clark

Clark

Metal man....no top... Roadster! Well I do have roadster top irons I plan to use.

I'm not planning on copying a 34 roadster. Changing it up a little. I like the way a 35/36 roadster looks in the cowl and door area.
    Clark

9. Uncle Jess

Uncle Jess
    from Western Ny

Clark my man looking good.. airbags..... you bastard, how dare you.. keep up the good work, hi to the clan, I havent seen you guys in awhile hope your all well. Jesse

Genes12320 likes this.
  10. metal man

metal man

Can't wait to see it.:cool:

11. Clark

Clark

I can't wait to start on the roadster conversion.

Jesse...you gotta get back down with the boys some time.....Invitational?
    Clark

12. millersgarage

millersgarage

I need to keep an eye on this build

nice

13. Clark

Clark

Chris Ito did this drawing for me back when I started on the car. Paint is gonna be a little different in the beginning but just may end up like this. It may not be as low as the drawing but you get the idea.
    Clark
    [​IMG]

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Clark

Clark

Let's see who gets the 444 reference
    Clark

15. brady1929

brady1929

16. noboD

noboD

You are my hero!

17. servi53

servi53

awesome workmanship, good one to watch

18. Uncle Jess

Uncle Jess
    from Western Ny

Clark,
    Yeah man since the last time I was down I got married had three kids and built a new shop and have been building cars fulltime so my freetime has dwindled a bit. But things are settling down now so I should be getting out to stretch my legs in the near future. Invitational? If you are asking if I would like a formal invitation the answer is yes , in writing please.. ha ha. My shop party is August 18th this year if you guys are up for a trip your all always welcome here my friend, its a good time you guys would fit right in. Keep up the good work Clark. Jesse

19. Clark

Clark

Jesse...the Showdown Invitational. July 28th I think. You gotta talk to Larry about getting your car on the infield, but camping and all the rest is the same. I think blow up dolls are frowned upon by management :)
    Clark

20. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

21. Uncle Jess

Uncle Jess
    from Western Ny

Man some people never forget anything. Ill see what our schedule is, Thanks Clark. Jesse

22. Mmmmm....Y block power....

23. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Its in great hands and I can't wait to see the outcome.

24. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

25. I'm going to have to keep an eye on this one:cool::cool:

26. tinmann

tinmann

Really nice. Your cars are always "simply detailed".

27. Avgas

Avgas

Just doesn't get any better than a 34 Ford, look'n real Perdy! Wayne

28. Gotta love a 34 ford, Clark....BTW, I need the rear window garnish. And no, my 34 quarter went to Sweden when I replaced both of em with Steve's roadster quarters. They work great with a little trimming.