Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1929 Model A Ford AV8 truck build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INLAW MODEL A, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Rims? What are you a rapper?
    Just Playin'! It is looking great!

2. I hear ya. Let me rephrase, I painted the steel wheels. I thought rappers said Just Playin' :D

Rim (wheel), the outer part of a wheel on which the tire is mounted.

In recent times, the custom aftermarket car/automobile roadwheel has become a status symbol. These wheels are often incorrectly referred to as "rims". The term "rim" is incorrect because the rim is only the outer portion of a wheel (where the tire is mounted), just as with a coffee cup or meteor crater. These "rims" have a great deal of variation, and are often highly polished and very shiny. Some custom "rims" include a bearing-mounted, free-spinning disc which continues to rotate by inertia after the automobile is stopped. In slang, these are referred to as "Spinners".

Atwater Mike likes this.
  3. Haha! Touché! But I didn't say I wasn't a rapper...

FlatJan likes this.
  4. Today I drug out the banjo, rear bumper and the wheels:D which I primed yesterday. I sanded the rims and bumper with 240 grit and then sealed everything and painted it black. The wheels really look nice. I can't wait to get tires on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Here is some local hot roding history. In 1951 Don was 18 and built a 34 Ford coupe. It was a typical back yard custom of the time. He drag raced it at Great Lakes Dragaway a few times. He sold the car and built a different one. Don has built many cars in his day. He is now 78 and still a hot rodder building cars and flipping them. The guy that bought the 34 Ford took it all apart in the 70's. He never finished it and died. His son in law bought it and put it back together. Here is a picture of in now.

[​IMG]

So last summer I bought a model a frame, actually the one I used for my truck build from a local guy. His son owns and built the 34 as it now sits. We were poking through his parts and I found this dash:

[​IMG]

It turns out Don built this dash in 1951. I was told he was so proud of it he slept with it. It did not fit the build so the current builder left it out. I asked and I bought it for $30.00 I thought it was cool. So I had it mocked up in the truck and was thinking about it today. I flipped it over and it is still intact!

[​IMG]

I need a glove box door and I need to fill in the holes. I was planning on using 51 Ford truck gauges so I think this will work nicely.
    Tonight I ground off the rivets to see what I was dealing with. It is very savable!

[​IMG]

Check out all the fiberglass from 1951!

[​IMG]

I think it is cool that the dash has history! I plan on having Don that built it paint it or somehow be involved with it.

6. Last night my dad helped me get the spring on the rear axle. I had an issue "pressing" in the spring bushings. But it all worked out. BFH is not the answer.:D

[​IMG]

We jack up the frame and slid the banjo in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had an issue with ride height because I left 5 rear leafs out. Tonight I added 3 leaves and notched the frame because there was a clearance issue.

[​IMG]

7. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

It's coming together keep up the good work! :)

8. Here are some more progress pictures.

I just started putting on the backing plates.

[​IMG]

Tires just mounted with new tubes

[​IMG]

Here is a shot with the top wood partially installed. What a difference it makes. It is alot more rigid now.

[​IMG]

The boys. David helped install the left rear brakes this morning.

[​IMG]

And last but not least, The bus seats. This should make Back to the 50's more comfortable for the kids. Were we making sure thay fit. I need to raise them up and make brackets yet. I just bought some 5 point harnesses for them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Where'd you get the wood? I need the back piece and both pieces that run the length along the sides.

It's really coming together...looks good and is providing some inspiration for me to keep trucking on mine.

Thanks,
    Steve

10. Giovanni

Giovanni

The knobbies look killer. I'm glad you went with them. The whole truck looks great!

11. Hi Steve, Howell Sheet metal. I see Mac's has it also. Thanks!

12. Here are some progress pictures from today. David was helping out. This is him by the brake he helped install.

[​IMG]

Here he is installing brake lines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  13. lorodz

lorodz

awsome build keep it up...oh and you know david is gonna want this truck when he is old enough to drive or steer ...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  14. Here are some brake line pictures from our install Sunday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

David put in all the cotter pins.

[​IMG]

15. Here David is making threads on a shaft for the e-brake.

[​IMG]

This is the custom set-up I came up with to make the emergency brake work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Great build!! I love it that your kids are helping out; I hope when my boys are older they'll help me on my Ranchero.

As for the emergency brake, very nice! Love the engineering thought that went into that. Keep up the great work!

17. I love that running gear setup, you've truly inspired me! :D

18. Thanks guys!
    Tonight I finished rebuilding the carb. I will post pics later. I hope to test fire it this weekend.

19. hasty

hasty

20. Thank You!

Here is the carb I am going to use. It is a 8BA Holley 94. I took it all apart and cleaned it in my ultrasonic parts cleaner and just put it back together. I didn't even buy a kit. I painted the base and then cleared the whole thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Yesterday I got my new steer tires from the guy in the big brown truck. They are 6.00-16 Firestone Deluxe Champions.

[​IMG]

I had time to get them mounted and now they are ready to bolt on.

[​IMG]

22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great build, I'm diggin this... keep it up!!

Malcolm

23. I took apart the e-brake and painted the brackets along with the coil brackets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My dad helped me install the plug wires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here the e-brake is back on and working.

[​IMG]

24. It's alive!!
    I am not sure when it last ran, but this is the gas that was in it:
    [​IMG]

In case you didn't read the whole thread, this is the engine. It ran sawmill.

[​IMG]

This is about 10 seconds after it started for the first time. The second time I ran it it did not smoke nearly as much.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid282.photobucket.com/albums/kk247/PFDA/1929 Model A truck/MVI_7022.mp4">

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  25. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

26. Tank

Tank

This thing is cool! Looking good for sure man! Awesome to see the kids involved for sure, looks like hes all about it! Something he'll remember forever. Thats how I got my start, out in the garage with my dad. Good times for sure! Killer truck man!

27. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

Love the build. Even better your son involved. So So Cool. Good on ya!

28. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

like what you are doing+thanks for sharing

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

OH man the factory Aluminum intake against the painted factory heads is a great choice!!! Love that look. Everything else looks top notch too man. Great work and keep it up!!!

30. Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments!:)