Register now to get rid of these ads!

Move from Austria / Europe to PITTSTON, Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daddyohs, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Hy HAMB Members

Next year I am going to move for my job from Austria (Europe) to PITTSTON, Pennsylvania. This is the Scranton - Pittston - Wilkes Barre Area.

There are any HAMB Members in this Area?
    Tell me about some nice places?
    Good bars?
    Drag Races?
    Speed Shops?

I am realy happy to get some information.

Regards
    Andy

2. 59 brook

59 brook

maple grove racetrack, englishtown raceway park ,atco drag racing these 2 are in NJ but only a few hrs drive.valley forge motorsports show in jan used to be good havent been to it in 15 yrs,hershey, carlisle ,american history galore in gettysburg and philidelphia. good luck

3. Congrats, Andy!

5 hours away, but you're always welcome to stop by!

4. toxictom

toxictom

ich glaub ich muss mir auch eine firma suchen wos mich rüber schicken.....

5. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Andy,
    there are lots of HAMBers in southeast Pennsylvania, around Philadelphia and Allentown areas, within 2 hours of Pittston. I'm not too sure about the Wilkes Barre/Scranton area but I know there are some HAMB guys there.
    Macungie Park, less than 1.5 hours from Pittston, has lots of car activities during the season. Also there are lots of car clubs around. Look on the HAMB for events like the Jalopy Showdown, Beaver Springs Jalopy Drags, Hot Rod Hoedown, Race of Gentlemen, and lots of other stuff within a few hours drive. Check out the Hershey AACA Museum, and the Simeone Museum. Check out the Aces & Eights c.c.website. We're not too far away.
    Good luck!

6. Wuerd ich auch sagen, Tom!

7. Wird eine Spannende Sache werden.

8. ElBurro

ElBurro

Gratulations to your move. For how long are you planning on staying in the US?
    If you have time to come up north a bit you're aways welcome here in Canada (we have the better beer here and you can buy Stiegl Beer up her:). Lot of cool car stuff around here too!
    Have a save trip!

A fellow Austrian

9. The company plan for me 2 or 3 years ... Stiegl Beer sounds good ... they sell also Zipfer Urtyp? I like Zipfer Beer ;)

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'm about 35 miles from Pittston. There are a few active clubs in the area. Look up the Villa Capri Cruisers and the Pocono Mountain Cruisers.

There aren't any active drag strips in the immediate area, but Pocono International Raceway is about a 40 minute drive.

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, good nite......

11. ElBurro

ElBurro

Need to check that Zipfer one, let ya know;) R u planning on building a Rod/Custom?

12. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I'm about an hour away from Wilkes-Barre, in Bloomsburg. Numidia, PA has an active drag strip. That's about 1/2 hr. away from Bloomsburg. Carlisle Events runs a great car show at the Bloomsburg fairgrounds in the summer. Not sure about the Wilkes-Barre area, but there's a "Quaker Steak & Lube" near Bloomsburg that has really good food (& beer), and "Bandit's Roadhouse" in nearby Berwick, that also has excellent food & drinks. Bandit's attracts a lot of bikers, but I wouldn't hesitate to bring the grandkids along for a meal there. It's really a nice place. And when you get over here, be sure to try a few cold Yuengling Lagers. I make sure I've always got a few in the refrigerator.:D

13. chris' 38

chris' 38

Theres a bunch of car shows and stuff near scranton and a Quaker steak-n-lube.I'm about 10 minutes from scranton. Been in PA for 6 yrs and it totally sucks ass-my opinion.never ever had problems like I found here.

14. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

I'm about 1/2 hour from Pittston. There is a cruze and car show in Wilkes Barre the last Friday of every month, Spring ,Summer, and Fall, weather permitting. My good buddy Eddie Mier owns the Sesquehanna Brewing Co.. which is located in Pittston. His beer is excellent, the only problem with him is he is a Ford guy. Send me a P.M. when you get in town.

15. aaggie

aaggie

Rotten politicians aside, welcome to our country. Even though I'm in Texas I spent some wonderful time in Pennsylvania. You will enjoy the place and they have decent Strudel, beer and sausage.

16. Austria to Pennselvania...............man, thats a step down

17. But the craft beers here will make him forget the Motherland!:D:cool:;)

18. tjm73

tjm73

Gas will probably seem a lot cheaper to you once you get here. LOL!!

I just looked it up and gas is like $1.42 euro/liter over there. A gallon of gas here is like about $3.50 right now. Which is like $0.674 euro/liter equivalent. So less than half.

Enjoy the good things we have to offer. Try to ignore the bad. Niagara Falls is less than 6 or 7 hours away. Worth the trip and go to the Canadian side. Go to NYC, Washington DC, Philadelphia. Boston if you can.

19. fryguy

fryguy

In the immortal words of Mike Muir "Well, ninety-nine percent of its What you make of it...<WBR>So if your life sucks, YOU SUCK!

-Fryguy

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Scranton has Steam Town, home of last remaining "Big Boy"..Coal mine and the Metal Furnaces..North into NY to the Curtis Aircraft Museum [there are some engines there that you will want to touch and dry hump] and farther north to Lockport, visit the Erie Canal and do the Canal cruise and the Cave tour, walk around the city some, Mac's auto supply is there too..

21. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

I am 2 hours North of Pittston. We have the Syracuse Nationals Car Show every Third week in July that attracts 7,000 (+) cars with a good "Ol' School Roundup" and " Artie's
    Party Pinstripers panel jamb and auction". Add that to your to do list. It is a great time.

VR&C.

22. tjm73

tjm73

You can hit the Curtiss museum and Lockport on the way to Niagara Falls.

23. 6inarow

6inarow

Thats the idea, but its hard to beat a Wieselburger and Schnitzel!

Servus aus Melk!!

24. chris' 38

chris' 38

I never said my life sucks, but thanks for putting words in my mouth to start a problem. Are you related to my wife?

25. fryguy

fryguy

Nope, not starting trouble just sticking up for my home state. You say Pa sucks. I say Life is what you make of it. I can certainly say that PA does not suck. So if the state doesn't suck its gotta be something else

26. Oh how I miss a good Schnitzel over here...

27. ElBurro

ElBurro

I cook Schnitzel for Model A parts;)

28. 5window

5window

Sure you did "Theres a bunch of car shows and stuff near scranton and a Quaker steak-n-lube.I'm about 10 minutes from scranton. Been in PA for 6 yrs and it totally sucks ass-my opinion.never ever had problems like I found here. But, you're entitled to your opinion

But that aside-I think PA has an excellent car scene-I live 90 minutes from WV-Scranton, We've got cruise in's and car shows every weekend. We've got Carlisle and Hershey and the York NSRA Nationals, tons of car museums,drag strips, Pocono Raceway-we're just a couple hours from NYC,Philadelphia and Baltimore -Washington-as well as all the things to do in western NY already mentioned. We've got top notch hunting and fishing and waterways and we've even got the Amish.

Other than buying beer form a distributor, it's a pretty good place to live. I'd recommend Saranac from NY or yard's from Philadelphia-also azillion microbreweries if you want to stay local. Welcome to Pennsylvania.

29. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Excellent Pennsylvania microbrewed Beer/Ales--- Troegs in Hershey, Victory in Doylestown, Weyerbacher in Easton.

Pittston is a bit of a sleepy town along a string of sleepy towns on Route 11 between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. My wife lived in West Pittston when we met. Seemed like all her neighbors were old ladies.

30. alsancle

alsancle

The best part will be the short ride to Hershey ever October.