Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mopar elec distributor and GM HEI problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ago, May 28, 2014.

1. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Running a Mopar elec. dist. in my early Hemi with a GM HEI module. I had nothing but trouble with set up.Same car same setup last year, ran 800 miles with GM module ran fine? The GM module mounted inside cab on alum heat sink, contact paste, module properly grounded, and ground wire from dist. to module to battery and chassis ground. It would run for a while then Ign died. Switch out module run a while then die. I buy brand new Standard Ign module made in USA. It would not even run right: misfire and tach going crazy. Put in 2nd new Standard IGN. module same thing, misfire and crazy tach. Put in junkyard module, runs perfect for a while then dies. Would not even run 5 miles. Switch out Mopar dist. to another Mopar elec. dist. same thing. switch out coil, same thing. Find out the Mopar dist.reluctor only generates .5 volt and GM HEI dist. reluctor generates 1.2 to 1.6 volts. The Mopar dist is over working the GM module and it gets hot and quits. Switch over to Mopar module, runs fine no problems. Any way done with Mopar and GM module mix.

Ago

2. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

I ran a GM module in a '68 318 distributor for years. I found that a good portion of the Standard modules were unhappy with that setup and would not start when hot much of the time. It let me know when it was going to quit on me going down the road, too. When it worked it ran great, but...................
    --Glenn--

3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I built an HEI dist for my Nailhead using a mopar reluctor and pickup coil with a GM module. Ran fine for 4 years. Went back to point only due to the old sun tach and transmitter box I installed not working with the electronic stuff

4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

What did you use for a coil? I think HEIs are unhappy with high resistance coils, same for an external resistor or resistance wire.

5. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I think I used like a .5 ohm coil, no ballast resistor. Had the GM module mounted on an piece of 1/8" aluminum bolted to one of the intake manifold bolts. Heat seamed to have no adverse effect on it.

6. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I used the MSD blaster for HEI. No resistor or res. wire

7. I believe GMC BUBBA recommends a coil closer to 1 ohm. the lower the resistance the more the current the more the heat.

8. Why use a bastard unit to start with when MOPAR makes a perfectly good electronic unit or even you could use a Petronix or Mallory conversion in the stock distributer.

Something to think about as well is that the GM HEI is a smog distributer and not rated for any kind of performance.

9. artful dodger

artful dodger

i am no expert but.......why did you go that route?
    porknbeaner is right keep it all mopar.
    check out Don from 4 seconds flat if you need the fancy mopar stuff

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I use a replacement module for the Chrysler ignition hidden up behind the dash. I believe in the KISS system...keep it simple stupid. Why complicate it? I used it on my Mallory dist. in my flathead and my Mallory dist in my 352 FE