Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray: Still going...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Thanks for the heads up. I am not really sure what I am going to do I have also been looking at the spun aluminum ones. It is going in the bed of my truck and because the truck is kind of a custom I'm not sure what would be best. Maybe a tonneau cover LOL

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aaaa. Gotcha. Well, if you're looking for this type of tank, you definitely get a nice piece for the buck and the XL tanks, like I bought, are 13 gal and include the sender. I forget what the total was with shipping, but Alliance membership helped a ton.

3. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

that's bad ass scooter.

4. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Rex buddy!

Yeah, thought it over several times in my head. The time to make the insert is no big deal. Not too worried about it. I don't have to have it done to drive it, so I can take my time and work on it a little bit at a time. It will take me a TON of time, but I would rather have exactly what I want than settle for something that wasn't part of the plan. I've come this far, no reason to settle. If I screw it up, I'll learn from my mistakes and try again.

Mostly I just want to learn how to wheel a panel of this size. After making the buck, it really doesn't look as bad as I thought it was going to be. Sure, it won't be easy, but I'll take my time. I've been working with the wheel quite a bit lately and feel like I've got a good handle on it. Far from pro, but only way to learn is to pick up the material and go at it. The biggest thing I've learned about wheeling so far, is to stopping before going too far. Can't wait to get started on that panel though! And just to make it even MORE challenging... it will get 5-ribs riveted to the underside and a surrounding lip riveted on as well! :eek::rolleyes::D Should be a GAS! HAHA!

I must be psychotic... :eek::eek:[/QUOTE]

Hey Scoot,

I'd build that panel as three pieces, the first piece being the middle semi-low crowned area of the panel, the two outside panels, the ones with all the shape in them, formed as smaller panels, as in easier to shape and form, and once built seamed at their crown to join the centre panel. Hammerwelded together, of course ,and metalfinished to project standard!
    The boss ain't goin' fir no "fender-in-a-can" seam runnin directly above his head, the length of the insert!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    " Embrace the vulgarity"

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool man! Thanks for the tip! Can't wait to finish off the buck and start laying out template materials. The cool thing is that the crown on the panel ends up being pretty low with the majority of the shape in the rear 1/3 of the panel. The thing I noticed when I was making the buck is that from left to right, the radius of the bows used in the buck are almost all the same, with the largest radius/lowest curve being at the front. But even all the way at the rear of the panel it was almost the same. I guess if I looked at the original roof insert bows for the car they would probably tell me the same thing. That being said, shrinking around the rear corners and slightly ahead will probably do wonders to get the shape started.

Come to breakfast again soon!

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Rolling your own top incert sounds like a fun project, or you could cut out the top of a Camaro.

7. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

So you put up a few fancy pics and talk alot, then two weeks with nothin'! I checked your history and all I see is Efen Hemi This, Hemi That.

I figure you're:
    a. stalling, fresh out of creative ideas
    b. rubbing that hemi in our faces
    c. sobbing in a fetal position over in the corner about the girl you'll never have

In any case, the eye candy is over due. Give it up, already.

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

hahahahahaha... nice scottybaccus!

9. I dont think ol Scooter has it in him to finish it!? I bet he sold it and is taking up Dressage.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think option C is definitely the most probable. No way did he get that thing fired.

11. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

Na, knowing Scott, he is rubbing something else while working on the Hemi and making go fast engines noises.

12. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

:eek: I think I just threw up a little!

That's funny shit!

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

Good God man... it's really shaping up!!! Really great. Thing looks like a terror from the front! Love it. :D

14. mogara

mogara

Hey Scooter. I have a question. I may have missed it somewhere, but how do you plan to attach the gas tank to the brackets you made?

15. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Probably the coolest modified, like ever.

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WTF!!!? You guys are crazy!! HAHAHAHA!!! (shaking head) I appreciate the support... I think.

I had planned on getting it fired that weekend I mentioned but Crazydaddyo and I had to help a friend in need and it was worth putting it aside for a minute to help him out. PLUS! The fuel pump I bought ended up being junk and by the time I figured it out there was no store open that would have a back up for me. There was just not enough time that weekend to carry out the plans.

I jammed on it this Saturday and got just about everything put together. Just a couple small things and it'll be time to push the button. My biggest hurdle to getting it started at this point is tightening the crank bolt to 135 pounds with the engine IN THE CAR! D'OH!

Plans back to normal this weekend. Just need to make some block-off plates for the outside four corners, wire it up, get that crank bolt tightened down, fluids, prime it, static time again, and let 'er rip! Hope it's as easy as just that and nothing unexpected happens with this motor. I don't think I could handle another broken hemi...

I'm still toying with that. I'm thinking leather straps with adjusters, maybe. Going to try a couple things to see what looks appropriate.

WOW! Nate buddy..... Just WOW! How do you come up with this stuff?? I think you've been spending too much time at your compound... Either that or too much time alone in your office photoshopping cars. :eek:

17. 31whitey

31whitey

Dude....way nice craftmanship man.

Im digging it....

super motivated.

18. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

sorry guys this was my bad :D thanks again buddy for all your help, i owe you and Dan huge! and cant wait to see the progress with my own eyes next week :eek:

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude! That's what friends are for! Glad to help!

And since you just rang in... here's a little something for you! I took a bunch of pictures when I got it here so you could see.

[​IMG]

And proof that I actually DID do work here's how the engine sits right now. (No, those awesome holloween plug wires will not be sticking around!:rolleyes:)

[​IMG]

20. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wow you are almost there.

21. chaddilac

chaddilac

Ohhh.... I thought you were going to hide a 2 barrel under that intake and make them fake carbs on top!!:D

22. "It'l never work Sidney"
    hahahaha!
    See if you guys know where that came from...

23. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

It looks like it is ready to make noise. Have you made it scream yet?

24. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Yup, just what I figured. That shop is too clean for anything to be going on....

25. mmm, plumbing, keep at it, devil is in the detail

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

26. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Scoot,

I LOVE the relief in the transmission tunnel for the gas pedal. The heel well is a really nice touch too. The small details really speak to the craftsmanship that you are building into your car. Excellent work.:cool:

Thor

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're BRUTAL today Scotty! Something more to share?? :rolleyes:

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the compliments guys!!

29. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I'm not telling. You have to go find out on your own... ;)

30. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Great build , you see alot of build's on this site but , this has got to be on the top of the list.