Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - or is it the "Butchered Briggs"??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Apr 3, 2009.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys are WAAAAY too kind! This is my first build with this level of fabrication and sometimes I think my imagination supercedes my skill level, so I have to go back and redo things when/if they're not right. But I'm learning! She's the "Butt-ugly Briggs" right now, but hopefully I'll keep pourin' in the love and she'll love me back one day. HAHA!

Thanks for all your comments! I appreciate it! I've learned so much from so many of you and I have to say it's SUPER difficult for me to get the nerve up to put my work out there when there are so many talented people here. There's always that fear of someone seeing my unfinished work and thinking that it's not going to get corrected or the comment of the reader to themselve... "jeesh, I can't believe he posted that". But screw it! I'm still learning and the only way to learn is to get in there and go crazy... Unfortunately, crazy may be a literal statement when all is said and done. :eek: Can anyone recommend a good head doc.?? :eek:

Seriously though! Lots to do! I probably won't do another update for quite awhile unless it's on the Hemi or maybe the floors. We'll see...

Thanks to everyone who has helped me make it this far. Remind me NEVER to do such an ambitious build again...

2. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Scooter, Your fabrication SKILLS are far HIGHER than mine will ever be!
    So post away dear Sir, post away!

Nick.

3. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

Keep goin' crazy Scooter - it gets damn good results for ya!
    And don't be so hard on yourself - damn fine job, now you're one of the guys the rest of us can learn from!
    In fact you've earned extra maple syrup on your pancakes tomorrow!
    CraigR

4. 60'coupe

60'coupe

Scott, Your doing such a great job with your project I really enjoy your post and look forward to them. As far as a name for your car I was thinking of calling it: BRIGGS AND STRAP-ON ! :) Have fun Saturday night buddy !
    Rob

5. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Scooter....Man that thing is sweet. Keep postin'....

6. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm assuming you've gotten, or at least chosen, your gauges? I killed the desire and got a vintage SW tach and a one-of-a-kind mount. People will flip when they see it.

Anyway, what did you get?

7. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

You've got it goin' on man. Attaboy,Etc.

8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Scooter: It's looking great. I really like what you did to the windows and drip rails.

Steve: About 40 years ago I worked for Frank Costin (of Lotus/Lister/Marcos fame). A very proper gentleman was Frank, always wearing a shirt and tie and speaking softly. When he would get excited, though, a favorite exclamation was "Fuck me old boots!" and I have never, ever heard anybody use the expression since. You made my day.

Another of Frank's expressions, used when scolding somebody for doing something the hard way, was "There are more ways to kill a cat than stuffing his arse with bricks."

A rare man. Sorry he's gone.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BWAAHAHAHA!!! I'm honored it's the "Dogs Bollocks"!! :D:D Sweet!!

Right!? Duh!! How could I have not noticed the OBVIOUS differences?! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Man I would love to meet up with you at the Round Up in 2010! I'm trying hard to make sure it's completely done by then. It will be drivable and close to finished by the end of the year, but it BETTER be completely done by then! :cool::cool: Thanks for the words!

Yep! Going with SMITHS. These are really accurate reproductions of originals that would have been used I think from 1954 to early 1960's. Original artwork and pointers but have high quality modern internals. The reviews have been great. They're pricey, but they will help me in several areas and look completely accurate to the era of the build.

Wiring will be ordered from you shortly Glenn!!! I can't believe I'm that close now!!

Thanks buddy! And I will! :D

Thanks Tony! You have to know you're input was greatly responsible as a reminder to make "responsible decisions" about things like that during this build. I appreciate all your help and support!

HAHA! Thanks mate!! MMMmmm... ready for breakfast! Hope you'll be there!

10. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

This project -build makes me want to go set fire to my junk!:)
    Very nice work, and thanks for posting.

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Riiiight! Now who's going crazy!? :D Your car(s) are beautiful!!

[​IMG]

12. eriksson

eriksson
    from Sweden

impressive! thumbs up! :)

13. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Scoot I have a new old stock Smiffs water temp gauge I'm not using if you need one it is mechanical so no wiring worries ;)

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:D:D What are you saying about Limey wiring?? ;);)

Are you coming to breakfast?

15. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Next time you come down to breakfast throw it in with you and I'll check it out. Or I'll check it out when I come up to visit Lime Works. :cool: Thanks buddy!

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

That looks great! Now that it's a Briggs will I have to fight you over a Cunningham intake for my HEMI?

18. chaddilac

chaddilac

WOW!! Seriously WOW!!

Awesome work Scooter! Looks like you've been spending a lot of time out in the shop!! Everything looks great....

I have two thoughts, one on the gauges and one on the drip rails:

Something doesn't look right with the 3 smaller gauges at the top and one on the bottom, how bout you run them 2 top and 2 bottom and stagger them?

Drip rails, I think the end near the rear window would look cooler with a nice sharp radius instead of being nearly flat on the end.

Just my .02, and I'm not baggin on what you've done by any means!! Looks killer! I'm building headers!!! woooooohooooo!

19. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

really cool stuff going on with your A.

20. Appleseed

Appleseed

I'm gonna have to type "awesome" cause you can't see me nodding my head on the net.

You did read the instructions before popping the plastic bags, right?

21. scootermcrad ... the "Bitchin' Briggs" is looking great!

... and FWIW, I think it's kinda cool that you discovered the body was built by Briggs Manufacturing Co. (vice its rival, Murray Corp. of America) ... as you are probably already aware, the Chrysler Corp. bought the Briggs Manufacturing Co. in 1953/1954 ... so a 331ci Chrysler HEMI (built from '51-'55) in your Briggs bodied Hot Rod is a perfect combination!

From Coachbuilt.com: Walter O. Briggs passed away on January 17, 1952 in his Miami, Beach, Florida winter residence from complications arising from a kidney ailment. For the previous 12 years, Briggs had been paralyzed from the waist down, but conducted business from his wheelchair. His son, Walter O. (Spike) Briggs Jr. was Briggs Manufacturing’s executive vice-president and took over as chairman later that year. Brigg’s son-in-law, W. Dean Robinson, remained the firm’s president.

The family expressed a desire to sell their 19% controlling interest in the firm, and Chrysler Corporation, Briggs’ largest customer made an offer to purchase the entire US body building operation, lock, stock and barrel for $35 million. The sale took place on December, 29, 1953, and Chrysler assumed control of all of twelve Briggs plants - 10 in Detroit plus 1 in Youngstown, Ohio and another in Evansville, Indiana. The Conner Ave. plant that had been building all of Packard’s bodies was leased to Packard to avoid any conflict of interest. Briggs’ plant in Dagenham, England was sold to Ford Motor Co. Ltd., Ford’s British subsidiary.

22. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Brilliant work, my friend. Simply brilliant!:cool:

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA!!! :D (I think I get that :rolleyes:)

Yeah! Really cool little fact! It's a Forbriggler then?? :D

Actually, man. I have to agree with you. The layout for the guage was not really set in stone. Was just sort of sketching stuff out. I'm going to actually print pictures of the gauges to scale and move them around until they look right. No holes will be cut until I have gauges in my hands.

The drip rails need a BUNCH of work yet! Especially some subtle stuff at the back end of the rails.

:eek::eek: OOPS! ;):D They actually were no big deal, but I read them mostly because they were just interesting. Ross provides TONS of information about the pistons including thickness testing of the piston skirts and center mass, as well as random sample dimensions for EACH piston. Very professional! I think this little Hemi is going to thump pretty good with these slugs in there.

Thanks everyone for the comments! Exciting times and even MORE exciting times to come! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It's dim, but I can see it.... :cool:

24. chaddilac

chaddilac

what are you doing on the hamb... get back to it!!! :D

25. NealinCA

NealinCA

This build just keeps getting better. Thanks for the update.

Neal

26. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

fuck Scoot its looking good . . . REAL GOOD!

im stoked for you

and im looking forward to getting a ride in it next time im town haha

27. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

mmmm. turkey, bacon, Avocado.

Car looks swell to bud.
    You coming up for Viva?

N

28. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Scotter: Been building hotrods since the mid 60s, but what I build is so mundane compared to the craftmanship I see in your photos. You are truly an inovator having fun with cars.

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Thanks a ton for the compliments guys! I want it DONE! I'm puting up a good fight, I think. HAHA! :D