Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model T-VIN on Frame, but has new fabricated frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, Sep 18, 2014.

1. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I have a 1926 T coupe. The car is running and driving. It is titled, registered and licensed as a 1926 Model T coupe with the original Vin # off the original frame. The car was original when I bought it. I still have the rolling chassis. Frame and title match. All done legally.
    I have replaced the original frame with a new fabricated frame and a new engine. As a lot of you know the T had a motor number and matching frame number. As far as I know there is no number on the body. So, now there are no numbers matching this car to the title.
    I never gave this a thought during the heat and excitement of the build, but now that I am driving it, I am worrying about getting stopped and have the cop check for the VIN. I am thinking BIG TROUBLE!
    Now my question is: What are you guys doing about this ? I can't be the only one with this dilemma .
    Can I legally just have a tag made at the trophy shop with the original numbers, like I did for my assembled title roadster with the state assigned VIN #?
    What do you guys think? By the way, I live in Indiana.

2. oldsman41

oldsman41

dont know about your state but in ohio we have to take both car and frame to highway patrol inspection site and they check it out and sell you a tag which they install on frame and body.

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Cut the numbered part off the original chassis and weld it to yours.

4. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Remember the DMV wants to register. They usually don't look too close. What F-ONE said.

5. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Buy a punch kit with the correct ford star and stamp the frame and body yourself. I'm pretty shure the cop that pulls you over has no idea how they built the car in the 1920's.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Fenders

Fenders

... and don't ever sell the original frame.

7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

With the numbered portion permanently attached to the replacement chassis, the rest of the new chassis becomes a repair. Also the main identifying part original from 1926 rides on the "repair" thus it's a 1926 Model T.

8. mike bowling

mike bowling

If you've got a title I think you're all set- model A's have the frame number under the cowel so you can't see it anyway.I buy ID tags from Lebaron Bonney and stamp the numbers on them then use double sided tape to stick it on the top of the frame rail just ahead of the cowel.Like someone else said, most cops don't have much to go on with a 90 year old car anyway.Info is on a "need to know" basis, and they don't need to know squat!Don't worry, be happy, and drive!

9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Yeah yeah and I'm sure no one will know and all that jazz, but it is still fakery if not down right forgery by definition.

10. Yet your original post advocates cutting out the number from the stock frame and welding it to the new one. That is just as fake and just as illegal. It falls into the category of tampering with the serial number/VIN. If he were to get pulled over by a LEO, with even a minor knowledge of old cars, he might be in some trouble. It would be better to go the repro VIN plate route. Attach it to the firewall with some drive screws. Don't use pop rivets. And keep the old frame safe at home if problems ever arise

11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

http://www.semasan.com/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_IN.pdf

Indiana Law

From what I read by that to keep the present registration you must have the original chassis and body. Now how much of the original chassis and body, I guess that's up to the issuing officer. ???

In the link provided are the laws regarding rebuilt replicas and getting a ID # for those. This is likely what you will have to do unless you use the original chassis and body.

12. Since when does an original Model T have a number on it any place other than the engine block?

13. Late 26s and 27s all have the engine number stamped on the frame