Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Lost my role model today..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twenty8tudor, May 4, 2016.

1. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462403978.639267.jpg

I'll try my best to say what I can... This morning I lost the person who changed my life in more ways then anyone will know.. He hated having his picture taken but I was able to sneak this one in last year..

I had always heard of him while I worked at the parts store out of high school.. Was into muscle cars at the time.. Guys I would talk to said you should meet Dunlap.. Seen him come in off and on but was to backward to say anything.. They would say that's him.. 10 years later I buy a 28 model A sedan to rat rod it( I didn't know any better then) and a guy we raced three wheelers with said you should meet my dad... He messes with old hotrods..

It was the guy everyone told me about before.. So I couldn't say no to that.. We go up to his shop and come around the corner and I see his 32 roadster out front running.. The car stopped me in my tracks.. I talked to him just a little bit and he said I should come to a little BBQ that they were having.. Couldn't say no to that either..

There I met all the guys I consider my closest friends now.. They set me straight on the rat rod part.. Over the next 6-7 years he was always there and willing to help.. At the age of 83 he was still planning on more projects and working rings around me being 33.. He was my closest friend..

Yesterday after his normal coffee and dinner at the local Eagles club while leaving he had a heart attack and crashed his van.. They revived him but he never regained consciousness.. Was at the hospital last night from midnight till 4am.. They took him off the machine around 9am this morning and he went into cardiac arrest.. I am a better person for knowing him and I hope that I will meet his expectations with my future projects and builds... I always know I will have a passenger with me from now...

Snuck this one just about 2 weeks ago.. His 32 roadster in the back and a 32 Henry steel 3 window he just managed to score this spring..
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462404068.214627.jpg

What I would give to go back to last summer and ride with him again... Riding shotgun in his roadster

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462404230.878820.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462404247.686561.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Enjoy your friendships for all they're worth. Life is unpedictable...constantly evolving. He seemed to live large till he parted. You can celebrate in that. We are not eternal. Yes it definitely stirs up the emotions. Condolences to you, friends and family of Dunlap.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sincere sympathy goes out to you, and all of his Family & friends - you were very fortunate to have him as part of your life - many of us have not had that tight of a car guy connection

twenty8tudor likes this.
  4. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Hey Man, I am very sorry for your loss. Its amazing how close a friend and mentor can be.
    I have a friend who has been my mentor since I was a young guy. He has helped me with so many cars over the years and he is now 83 and failing. It is so hard to see him fading but God Bless him he still has the desire. I am building a 32 roadster and I'm hoping I can have it done in time to take him for a ride while he can still enjoy it.

twenty8tudor likes this.

5. Consider yourself blessed to have know him dedicate your build to him that way you will always be together..Hobo Jim

twenty8tudor likes this.
  6. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sorry to hear about your friend's passing :(

7. Having the good fortune to have a role model, a mentor, a guy like Dunlap, is "the best"..
    It's the plus side of life, to be guided by a mentor, a guy you truly respect, a guy who can show you the right way, from the wrong way.
    You and Dunlap were brought together for a reason.
    You may never uncover that reason why you and Dunlap were brought together, but certainly, knowing Dunlap also brought new and best friends into your life, as well. A BIG bonus!
    Dunlap will remain within your thoughts forever, cherish those memories.
    R.I.P. Dunlap.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  8. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

Thanks guys for all the kind words!!

He was the go to guy in town for hotrods and fixing cars..

I will always remember his stories about the early days.. His first build/car being a 28-9 sedan and how he was so proud of how the paint on the one fender turned out so great back then.

Could take nothing and make something out of it without hardly any tools.

Was thinking when I get my truck done having a friend pinstripe his nickname somewhere on the passenger side...

9. belair

belair

Sorry for your loss. Glad you got be enriched by a guy like that. And that first picture is beautiful.

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Belair I had a second look at that pic after your post and yeah...good one. The power of the photo...Nice shot Twenty8

twenty8tudor likes this.
  11. bchctybob

bchctybob

R.I.P. Dunlap. My sympathies to you and his family. You were fortunate to have enough time around him to forge some lasting memories. In the future, something will remind you of him and you'll smile again. That's a life long blessing from a friend.

twenty8tudor and dad-bud like this.
  12. Sorry for your loss! Many people think they will live forever and never appreciate the important things. Glad you realized the value of a good friend.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  13. Enjoy the times you got to share, never mourn the loss of future times. Sorry for your loss.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not a very spiritual person, well not at all really, but I do believe I know what we call a soul. You will forever have his with you, all who knew him will as well. It will live on and pass along to others through you, his surviving family and all the mutual friends you shared. Few of you will "see" it because it's what will come from your hands driven by what you shared.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  15. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Sorry for your loss. Keep him alive in your memories.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  16. Muttley

Muttley

R.I.P. to your friend. I'm thinking that first photo you posted needs to be your avatar from now on.

twenty8tudor and dad-bud like this.
  17. dad-bud

dad-bud

Every time you look at a rod, work on your car or think of your old friend, you will remember the privilege you had of really getting to know him as a friend and provider of knowledge.
    You are lucky to have known him and I'm sure you appreciate the time you had with him.
    Remember him fondly - it's likely he enjoyed having someone like you who enjoyed his company.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  18. brady1929

brady1929

May your friend RIP and your memories of him never fade.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  19. Your are a lucky man to have known such a person.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  20. 32Stoker

32Stoker

So sorry for your loss.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  21. Sorry to hear about your friend. If he lived for 83 years, he got his money's worth......

twenty8tudor likes this.
  22. My condolences to you and your friends family,God Speed! HRP

twenty8tudor likes this.
  23. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear of your loss - it's never easy to lose a friend.

You might want to continue his legacy by helping a youngster learn and grow in the hobby, in your friend's honor.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  24. slack

slack

25. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

Thank you guys a million times for all the kind words!

His daughter in law posted some pics I figured would be fitting here on the board.

Him with a T roadster pickup he built.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462467047.601905.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462467075.301100.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462467085.119950.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462467093.506756.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462467102.962628.jpg

Him and his 40 pickup he did and was known by for a long time.. Used it to get parts for his body shop.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462467113.650324.jpg

His 32 roadster
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462467153.819281.jpg

And his ford GP he had for 35 years and
    restored now resides in Denmark
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462467198.658605.jpg

26. Your life was better for meeting him...always remember the good times. I always have my old Bud Gator's striper hall of fame badge hanging from my rear view mirror of my 61 and I will be buried with it!

twenty8tudor likes this.
  27. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

You are correct it is way better from knowing him.. I haven't hung up any pictures in the garage I added onto the house a few years ago.. In the next week or so that will change..

28. John356

John356

Bergen Dunlap.....One of the best, restored my 57 Porsche 356, did all the bodywork and paint on my 54 Ford Carrera road race replica [ 313 in my avatar] and built my nailhead powered 27 T. The Corvette on the bridge in one of the pictures was powered by a 421 Pontiac and was wicked fast. He will be missed.

29. k9racer

k9racer

I have some of my friends ashes in a sealed peace of PVC in my shop. Some times he goes on rides on my motor cycle or in my hot rod and had competed in a few stock car races. Most of the time he just sets on the shelf. His daughter has a large laugh every time Earl does something with me.. It took me a while to talk her into letting me have some remains..

twenty8tudor likes this.
  30. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

So so sad. Jared all I can say is that I am so sorry you lost your dear friend. It sounds like you had a good mentor to set you on the right path. I too still have one old friend who set my ass on fire with traditional cars. His fire is still with you and will never go out. That's just an awful thing to go through. Wish I could have met him. Rick

twenty8tudor likes this.