Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lifts in your garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Feb 14, 2012.

1. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

I had a Worth two post put in my garage about three years ago. I did a lot of research. I chose Worth because it is built in Texas not China, the price and features. I purchased and had it installed by a company in New Jersey. As I recall it cost me about $3,500. total. Worth calls me about every 8 months just to see if I need anything and to check everything is OK. I am thinking about a four post in my other garage and I will buy another Worth.

2. refill1961

refill1961

I hate to bust all oif your bubbles but...... Challenger, Atlas, Forward, American, Tiger, Mohawk, Launch Tech and MANY, MANY others sell "rebranded" Tuxedo lifts..... look it up...... They are chinese and cheap..............If you want a good lift, BUY BEND PAK OR ROTARY..... THERE IS NO OTHER ANYWHERE CLOSE. I own and operate a business in Atlanta installing and servicing lifts and have 20 years experience....

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I would really like to have a lift, and I could most likely come up with the coin to get one, but I'm in a bit of a box as far as getting one in my shop.
    Bought an old commercial bldg, once a laundromat in the days when they weren't self svc. or coin operated in '86. In a declining neighborhood, but zoned Industrial, and only $10 per sq. ft. Later the city did a blanket rezone all over town and it got rezoned residential with a "grandfather" clause which consuderably tightened up what I can do as far as exterior changes and setbacks @ property lines. So I have no room to expand to a larger size with a taller ceiling than the current 8'6" on existing bldg. Jacking up the roof and ceiling would cost too much, even if I could get it approved, which I doubt. So @ almost 78, *I struggle to get on and off a creeper when I need to go underneath a car.
    There are some mid lift units around that I've thought about which I could raise up cars to just below ceiling and sit on a roll around chair of the correct heghth that would allow me to work underneath.
    Anybody tried this approach?

4. Dave - In one of my shop bays, there's only an 8 foot ceiling. Got a low rise scissor lift in there, great for normal stuff. Bought it used from a painter, he would pull the wheels off a car and drop it low to do the roof, and raise it up to do the lower half.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a Rotary asymmetrical 2 post lift. Had my garage floor poured with 8 inches of rebar and fiberglass reinforced concrete (across the center especially where the lift bolts down, not as thick elsewhere) 12 foot ceilings and high lift overhead doors so they can be open with a vehicle on the lift. The car doors open fully (even suicide doors), the floor is open so you can roll tranny jacks or what have you under the car without obstruction, the arms do have locks that keep them from spreading once they are off the floor (but you can pull the pin and move them if need be as long as there is no weight on the arms), came with truck adapters, Single side operation, safety stops, etc. Best tool I have ever spent money on.