Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects late 40s 26 T rpu build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by titus, Jul 28, 2013.

1. titus

titus

A couple years ago i wroked on a 26 roadster for a customer, i ended up with a few extra sheet metal bits (doors and a cowl) so i decided i should keep an eye open for more T stuff as chunks are usually cheap, about a year ago i ended up with the center section (quarters) of a T roadster/rpu. so i had the makings of a T roadster/rpu, but no box or turtle deck, so i had been keeping my eyes open and just didnt run across one. a month or so ago a buddy asked me if anyone was looking for a good running 32 replacement motor (33 motor with some 32 stuff on it), so i said sure, and i knew exactly where it would go. around the same time i got he motor the same buddy that i worked on the 26 roadster for said he had some more bits left that could come pick up, ended up with a couple of stock T frames and the front sections of a couple A frames, one ended up being long enough to be used for the project, well i had all these parts laying around and decided i needed to get them all assembled into one so they took up less room, so i colleced up a few more peices from some buddies and around the house and ended up with this beaut!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. titus

titus

So, after thinking about a modified or roadster or rpu i decided a rpu would be the way to go, i could actually use it for something.

I had mounted the motor and trans (35 trans) with a f1 crossmember and had a stock banger 32 rear that i figured would fit the bill, so i drug that out and bolted it up to the trans so i could see what the wheel base would be, i didnt want to shortened the wheelbase/torque tube if i didnt have too but wasnt against it, remember the A frame was cut off, but not too short luckily. in looking at it i figure out that if i put the body where i think it should go it would be 2-1/2 inches off on the T wheel base so it couldnt be a Roaster no could i use the stock T subrails for a roadster pick up, i ended up finding a early (25 ish) box and am going to make new lower moulting flanges for it so it mounts like a stock 26/7 box but doesnt have the wheel flair area if your familiar with 26/7s.

i had a couple rear rails laying around so i was able to lengthen the frame some and put a A spring onto the 32 rear and then out the A crossmember on the bottom of the rails, it will be reinforced once i figure out that the right height is correct, if it gets to hi i can sink the crossembmer into the rails some. i basically kicked the frame up 2" where the front section come into the rear section. it really worked out pretty well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  3. Good bits there Titus. You gonna do a box or turtle or?

4. titus

titus

Gonna be a box. you replied before i could edit my second post!:D

5. titus

titus

So, i got the rear frame arear all worked out for now and am going to pick up the box on monday i think, then i can mock it up on there and tell if its gonna work the way i hope it is.

i alse grabbed a dropped axle out of my stock pile and stuck a front end together for it. old style tie rod ends everywhere.

i also collected up a set of 35 wires and mounted up some rollers 600s and 650s on it and rolled it outside for some pics.

heres a quick run down of the parts list

26/7 rpu body
    A frame
    32 replacement motor
    f1 trans crossmember & pedals
    36 trans
    33-36 dropped axle
    36 bones
    41 splindles
    41 brakes
    35 wires
    32 rear end

Attached Files:

6. My wife tells me I'm the fastest at a lot of things..:rolleyes:

7. Like the sound of this rpu, if you need any measurement I just may be able to help. JW :)
    [​IMG]

8. titus

titus

Got the box home yesterday, and did some putsing on it so i could set it on the truck, the box is a 23-25, which has no wheel well reveals or anything, i used the 32 rear and the way it all comes out the wheel base is about 3" longer in the rear than the stock T so the wheel wells would have been in the wrong spot. Im going to make a new rear subrail set up out of 1x3 and then make some stock looking box mount flanges also, so it will basically still look original....ish.

JEFF

Attached Files:

9. Looks great! Good to see another 30's-40's T RPU being built!

10. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Oh!!!! This is looking good!!! I loike where you're going with this one!!

11. sent you a pm about the roadster in this picture
    Curt R

Attached Files:

12. titus

titus

Made a little progress, worked on the rear subrail section of the car, the rear subrails had been cut off like many, so i got some 1x3 tubing and stubbed it out with that. if youve worked on a 26/27 RPU you kinda know how the box mounts to the subrails, basically with a L shaped peice of steal, that kinda bumps out around the wheel wells, well i ended up making it all flat so i took some peice of L shaped 14 gauges and bolted them down to the new subrails then set the modified (took of the original lower box mount section) box on new lower mount sections and tach welded it on, it actually worked out very well and looks decent too, the wheelbase is about 4 or 5" longer than stock 26 27 in the rear which i think helps becuase the original Ts were kinda long in the back like a 32 pick up is. Over the weekend i was at swap meet and found a pair of model A pick up fender adaptors and figured they might work on here and they did, the only problem is one is missing the bottom section, anyone have one?

thats it for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Looking good!

14. titus

titus

Made some more progress on it yesterday, i was sure at first what i was going to do for steering, i had thought about running a 40 ford box with cross steer, well i had an extra frame mount for a 40 and i held it up to the frame and grabbed a box/column assembly, low and behold, one of the bolts on the mount lined up with a hole int he frame, so i bolted it on with one bolt then bolted the box on with one and was able to pivit it down and just oblong the other two mount bolt holds for the box, it all ended up in just the right place, so i shortened up the column a few inches and that all seemed good, so i drilled the other two mounting bolts on the top of the frame for the box mount and made some spacers for the bottom and drilled and bolted it on there too. it actually worked out really well, the only major hang up is the frame flex so i have a few ideas to fix that in the works ill let you know how that goes, so once i had the box mounted i made a drag link for it, so now the car steers, nice hurdle to get over.

I also go the pedals heated up and re-arranged, the clutch works nicely and the brakes should too.

JEFF

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  15. titus

titus

i thought i was all done for the day but got a wild hair up my butt work on the dash, i had picked up a 32 ish (anyone know exact?? pontiac dash that i thought would work and look good, so i got to it, i narrowed it about 3/4 inch per side and removed the 1-1/2 inches from each end where it was flat. it bolts in just like a stock dash and worked out really nice.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Runnin shine like this.
  16. titus

titus

Got some more crap done.....

got some cross rails put in it and made a wood bed floor with some 3/4 plywood, also used some bed strips that came from the bed a made a little plate where the A crossmber sticks up just enought that 3/4 plywood couldnt be used, the i also picked up a used round model T gas tank and got that mounted.

when i had the box off i finished up the rear section of subrail and added one more crossbar/body mount.

I also got some throttle linkage and gas pedal hooked up and working to, and i made a battery box and ran some battery cables a solinoid and put a ignition switch in the dash and ran a few wires so i could fire the motor up and see how it ran, it seems to run pretty good too. i didnt want to find a detroit lubricator carb so i had a Carter gm 6 cylinder carb sitting there that fit right on it so i stuck that on there, it seems to run pretty good, i guess well see.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and chriseakin like this.
  17. titus

titus

Oh and i know you guys probably arent used a build thread that somethings actually getting done on but please hold back the excitment LOL!

18. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Man it's looking great!

19. Dash looks fantastic! I eyed some of those early GM dashes...wasn't sure how they'd work - good to see you blaze the trail in case I want to change mine :)

20. bct

bct

thanks for the update. Ts are fun eh?

21. Dave50

Dave50

Jeff I only wish I could find half the parts you do. I also wish I could build as much and what you do. Awesome job keep us updated

Dave

22. titus

titus

Got alot more little stuff done, gonna work on getting it driveable in the next couple weeks i think for the Minneapolis Messaround but well see what time has to say about that!

[​IMG]

23. kingpins

kingpins

awesome truck!

24. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Great build! I've got a similar project in my garage right now, and yours is inspiring me to keep at it!! Thanks, and keep posting.

25. fortynut

fortynut

Great build!

26. Squablow

Squablow

I just traded an O/T musclecar for a very similar '27 RPU so I'm very interested to see how this comes together, especially how the box mounts since mine doesn't currently have a box on it and I plan to put one on.

The fender adapters are just for looks I take it?

27. louisb

louisb

I like it!

--louis

28. titus

titus

The T boxes just bolt strait down to the top of the subrails, i made the stuff here but its based off of what stock is like, does yours have the original subrails in the back?

ill take a couple pics.

yep, the fenders adaptors are for looks, the box was actually a 25 box and i made it look like a 28-31 box, the plain sides were just really boring looking.

JEFF

29. Squablow

Squablow

Pics would be great. When I get the car in my hands, I'll post some pics of how the rear rails are set up on mine and if you've got some advice I'd love to hear it. Has been a rod since 1958 and has no part newer than 1940 so I want to make sure I get this box mounting right. Yours has the look/proportions I'm going for.

30. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Titus, pics of how your subrails were put together would be great. They are missing on my 27 as well. Thanks!