Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Kurt’s Puddle Jumper - 1930 Model A Extended-Cab Pickup Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rgclouse, Aug 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rgclouse

rgclouse

Worked on repairing the b-pillar yesterday and today. First made a template based on the drivers side and then inverted it.
    905 050523 First template for b-pillar bottom.jpg

Then converted to 16 ga steel, cut out, and bend on my homemade brake.
    907 050723 B-Pillar patch fitted almost ready for welding.jpg

Just about ready for welding. I screwed up the layout on the little tab at the bottom so will have to weld it on the b-pillar.

Stogy likes this.
  2. rgclouse

rgclouse

Pie slice and tabs welded. Next up paint the backside and weld to the upper part of the b-pillar. I'm worried about the wood inside the b-pillar burning. Will wet it down first and let it cool between stitch welds.
    909 050923 B-pillar ready for paint and weld inplace.jpg

brEad and 2Blue2 like this.
  3. Parnell

Parnell

Like that Johnny Cash song... "One piece at a time..."

4. rgclouse

rgclouse

Well I guess I have been procrastinating. Doing everything but welding the B-pillar patch. Admittedly, life got in the way with doctor visits, oil change on Bionic Woman's car, fixing drip irrigation, but I knowingly worked on other things to put off the welding.

I got everything that will be hidden by the quarter panel patch painted and the back side of the patch painted as well. I also had to build some kind of structure behind the bottom of the patch for it to attach to since all of the subframe in that area was rusted away.

So yesterday everything was ready for welding.
    910 052023 B-pillar ready to weld.jpg 911 052023 Behind quarter panel patch painted.jpg

Stitch welded the B-pillar.
    912 052023 B-pillar welded.jpg

Slipped a piece of aluminum trim behind the pillar and nothing caught fire.

Ground down the weld.
    914 052023 B-pillar welded and ground.jpg

I think it looks pretty good. Put some primer on it.
    915 052023 B-pillar primered.jpg

Reinstalled my crude subframe replacement.
    916 052023 Guarter panel patch subframe replacement.jpg

Bolted on rather then welded since the subframe left was pretty flimsy.

Next up final fit the patch and weld it on. Hopefully I don't procrastinate to long on that.

Stogy, brEad, Randall and 1 other person like this.
  5. rgclouse

rgclouse

No procrastinating this time. Got the patch panel fitted yesterday and final cut scribed.
    918 052323 Patch panel cut scribed.jpg

Started welding it in this morning. Pic is after 3rd or 4th stitch weld pass.
    919 052423 Patch panel 4th pass stitch welded.jpg

Needed to order more 2 inch flap discs. Got warm enough my welding mask kept fogging up so will finish welding in morning. Got the little extra patch fit and ready to weld.

920 052423 Extra patch fitted and ready to weld.jpg

6. rgclouse

rgclouse

Patch panel and extra patch welded and almost done. A couple of pinholes to fix and one blowout on the top left. Waiting for 2 inch flap discs to finish grind welds.
    921 052523 Mostly done patch panel.jpg

Okie Pete, Parnell, Outback and 2 others like this.
  7. rgclouse

rgclouse

Spent all morning fixing pinholes and grinding. I don't know what was going on but I kept getting blow thru holes with half second welds. Only one when I originally welded the patch in place but today got a bunch. Finally gave up. Will need some bondo anyway so the last hole will just have to be covered. Put some self etching primer on it.

922 052623 Self etching primer.jpg

Then covered with matte black to protect it for the summer.
    923 052623 Protected for now with Matte Black.jpg

Okie Pete, Stogy, The 39 guy and 2 others like this.
  8. rgclouse

rgclouse

I'm back, I did not fall off the end of the world. I learned not to post travel plans on an open forum. Took the MH out of the garage and made a 6 week trip to MN to see my daughters, grandsons, and great granddaughter.

A couple of weeks getting the MH ready and getting things put back away when we returned. You wouldn't believe how weeds can grow in 6 weeks.

Finally touched Kurt yesterday for the first time since May. Working to get the floor, seats, seat belts back together. Had to repair the pass side interior quarter brace. Bottom inch or so was rusted off.

Formed a 2 inch piece roughly the same profile and welded it on. (Right side in picture) Got it primered. I don't really know the purpose of this Brace except to mount and support the interior panel.
    924 080923 Pass interior quarter brace patched.jpg
    925 080923 Pass interior quarter brace primered.jpg

9. rgclouse

rgclouse

Got the quarter brace painted and installed. Got the final seat belt bracket made and the seat belt installed on the pass side.

926 081523 Quarter brace painted and installed.jpg

927 081523 Pass seatbelt installed.jpg

Still need to decide on what to use for door panels and quarter interior panels. Suggestions? Thinking of plastic sheets, aluminum, or 20 gauge steel, all painted grey.

My daughters gave me gift cards for Father's Day and my 80th Birthday (July 30th). Got myself something I have wanted since starting work on Kurt. A set of wheel dollies to help move him around. Not easy for one person to move but this 80 year old managed move it a lot easier then with my floor jack.

928 081523 Finnaly wheel doiliesto move Kurt around.jpg

929 081523 Wheel doiliesall around.jpg

Okie Pete, hook00pad, SS327 and 15 others like this.
  10. rgclouse

rgclouse

Thank you for all the Likes on the last post. I think 8 likes my be a record for one of my posts. I think it may have more to do with my 80th Birthday then the progress on Kurt.

My goal from when I started on this project about 9 years ago was to get it done enough to drive it in my lifetime and then blow it apart to clean it up and paint everything. I achieved the first half of the goal last year. Now that I have turned 80, I'm modifying the second half of the goal. Now, if I tear something apart, I will clean it up and paint it before moving on to the next thing. (I sorta started last fall when I took the bed off to install rear shock mounts and cleaned and painted the bed before putting it back together).

I therefore took the pass side apart again to cleanup the inside of the quarter panel and paint it.

930 081923 Pass side painted and sealed.jpg

To finish off the pass side I sealed the seam between the quarter panel and the bulkhead. Used leftover construction alum tape since it won't be seen.

Got started on the drivers side reinstalling the floor and installing the seat belts. Also reinstalled the driveshaft tunnel.

931 081923 Driver side and console reinstalled.jpg

Cleaned up and painted the inside of the drivers side quarter panel.

932 081923 Driver side inside painted.jpg

Decided I needed to weld the drivers side patch panel in before closing up the inside. Got the patch panel rough fitted. Need a little fine tuning before welding.

933 081923 Drivers side patch panel initial fitting.jpg

Progress is slower then I would like since it is hot enough everytime I pull the faceshield down to grind I start sweating and fog up my glasses and the faceshield.

Okie Pete, Stogy and brEad like this.
  11. rgclouse

rgclouse

Got the patch panel fitted and ready to weld in place once the paint dries.

934 082123 Drivers side patch panel fitted.jpg

Painted the backside and the subframe behind it.

935 082123 Drivers side patch panel backside primed.jpg

Bright blue is tape so I don't have to regrind the quarter panel.

936 082123 Drivers side subframe behind patch panel painted.jpg

12. rgclouse

rgclouse

Been too hot and humid to work on Kurt. Can't weld the patch panel in place when as soon as I flip the welding helmet down my glasses and the helmet lens fog up.

Did finally get new front shoes for Kurt. Too hot to even put the lugs on.
    937 082523 Kurt has new front shoes.jpg

Supposed to cool off a bit by Monday.

Okie Pete, brEad, charleyw and 3 others like this.
  13. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Keep at it Roland! I'm impressed with your persistence (or as my Mom used to say "stick-to-it-iveness"). I think the record number of likes on your post 369 may have to do with you busting ass as an 80YO. The patches show excellent workmanship, the overall quality is admirable. Good on ya, keep it up, and congratulations on getting goal 1 accomplished (on the road) and working steadily and solidly. Even in the heat and humidity.
    Cheers brother.

brEad likes this.
  14. rgclouse

rgclouse

Thanks 34 5W Paul. A little encouragement helps keep me going.

Tried to work on Kurt this AM. Got the wheels back on and adjusted the toe-in. Managed to cross thread a lugnut and now had to order a 7/16-20 die to cleanup the threads. One more tool I will probably only use once in my life.

15. rgclouse

rgclouse

Well, this is what happens with bare metal in 9 days with high humidity.

938 082923 What 9 days will do in high humidity.jpg

It was all clean and shiny 9 days ago. Had to clean it up again before welding it in place. Still humid but I got it welded before my lens fogged up too bad.

939 082923 Drivers side patch panel welded and initial grinding.jpg

A few holes to weld and a lot of grinding to do yet (also the last 2 inches at the back is not welded yet. Need to take off the rear wheel to have the right access and angle to weld).

Okie Pete, Stogy, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  16. rgclouse

rgclouse

Finally cooler less humid yesterday and I got the wheel stud cleaned up with the new die and the front wheel reinstalled. Dry enough I could weld and grind without fogging up and got the patch panel completely welded and ground.

940 083023 Patch panel welding and grinding complete.jpg

Applied body filler and did initial sanding.

941 083023 Patch panel with first body filler coat.jpg

Didn't have any sanding masks so finished sanding today after getting some. Applied a second coat of filler, sanded, and then used body putty on a few spots and finish sanding.
    942 083123 Patch panel filler and putty sanded.jpg

Then applied some primer. Can see a few imperfections requiring more sanding.
    943 083123 Patch panel primered.jpg

Then again I may not want to make it too perfect.

Okie Pete, Stogy, brEad and 2 others like this.
  17. rgclouse

rgclouse

Need to let primer dry for 48 hours, so got the drivers side floor, bulkhead wing, seat belt and seat reinstalled.
    944 090123 Drivers side floor and seat reinstalled.jpg
    All well except found buckle side of seat belt is upside down. Will have to take seat back out to reverse.

Outback, Randall and brEad like this.
  18. rgclouse

rgclouse

As soon as I rip the masking off, I can cross this item off the list. It is DONE! I also took the seat back out and turned the seat belt over and put the seat back in. 30 mins for one stupid mistake.
    946 090223 Drivers quarter patch painted.jpg

Okie Pete, Stogy and brEad like this.
  19. rgclouse

rgclouse

Took Kurt for a spin and test drive this morning for the first time in 11 months. Ran pretty good and much smother with rear shocks and new balanced front tires.

Do have a brake problem. Found rear brake reservoir just about empty but no puddle of brake fluid under Kurt? Refilled but need bionic woman to help bleed the brakes.

948 090323 Kurt outside for first time in 11 months.jpg

Okie Pete, Outback, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  20. rgclouse

rgclouse

Bled the brakes and adjusted the brake pedal linkage and now have great pedal and it stops. Have to always remember unlike DD, it has manual, not power brakes.

Adjusted 95% of the slack out of the steering gear and it drives much better. Took it for a longer test run including about 8 miles of interstate and had it up to 70 MPH. Drove really good. Had to use a RPM app on my tablet since I have not installed a Speedometer cable yet.

Rawrench, Stogy and hook00pad like this.
  21. rgclouse

rgclouse

Goal for this week was to get the cowl top back on, but first needed to cleanup rust on the cowl sides. First the pass side.
    949 090823 Pass side cowl side cleaned up and primered.jpg

I have the patch panels for the bottom but that is a task for this winter. Drivers side.
    950 090823 Driver side cowl side cleaned up and primered.jpg

Then on to the cowl top. First painted the underside white for better visibility under the dash.
    952 090823 Cowl top underside cleaned up and painted white.jpg

Then the top.
    951 090823 Cowl top cleaned up and primered.jpg

Preparing for installing the top punched holes in anti squick tape and held it in place with gorilla tape.

953 090923 Anti squick ready to install cowl top.jpg

Then put the top in place.
    954 090923 Cowl top mostly installed.jpg

Got the welting in place but cheated and did it with 3 pieces. Front and top of sides bolted down. Still have 4-5 of the rear bolts to get in. They are a b@#$%^.

A bunch of bolts to put in the cowl sides to firewall. I decided to bolt together rather then welding. Hard to hold wrench on both sides. Of coarse after nine years I can't find the clamps for the top of the cowl. Either need of make some or order some.

Okie Pete, brEad, Randall and 2 others like this.
  22. rgclouse

rgclouse

I can't believe it took 3 days to get the rest of the cowl and firewall bolts installed. I spent a whole day on the rear bolts I said were a b@#$%^. I spent a day each on the cowl side to firewall bolts. It would have gone a lot faster with 2 people. Hard to even start lock nuts with 80 year old fingers with no one holding the top of the bolts.
    955 091323 Cowl and Firewall Completely Bolted.jpg
    I had to pull the footwell panels out on the pass side to get to 2 of the lower bolt holes.
    956 091323 Cowl and Firewall Completely Bolted.jpg.jpg

Decided to repaint those panels before reinstalling so still something to do before I can checkoff the cowl installation.

Okie Pete, brEad and osage orange like this.
  23. rgclouse

rgclouse

Cowl all complete and buttoned up.

Kurt finally earning his keep. Used Kurt to make a grocery run this morning. Everything ran fine except the temp gauge is still sticking.

My priorities right now:
    Temp gauge
    Speedometer
    Pass side mirror
    Driver side mirror (has one but like my dd truck, the wind moves it)
    Side and rear glass

brEad, osage orange and hotrodA like this.
  24. rgclouse

rgclouse

Day 17 since last post. Took a week getting the MH ready and loaded for a trip to Talladega. No work on Kurt except tightening a loose fuel line before taking my daughter and son-in-law for spins. Got it up to 82 mph for a few seconds. Feels a bit light in the front end over 75. Crew chief, I need more front spoiler!

hook00pad and 282doorUK like this.
  25. Parnell

Parnell

We need "more!"

Still reading this thread:)

26. rgclouse

rgclouse

It's been a month since my last post. Sorry Parnel, I really didn't have anything to post. The only time I touched Kurt this month was to push it out of the way to put the MH away.

What's my excuse. I quess you could say real life got in the way. 5 doctor visits, fall chores, change oil in 3 vehicles, and repair a coolant leak in the Bionic Woman's DD.

It took exactly a week from when she aborted a trip to church and returned with steam coming from under the hood. Took a day to find it was leaking from the base of the oil filter housing. Turns out to be a common problem and a $8 gasket. The problem is you have to take the whole front of the car apart to get to it. Remove the exhaust manifold, catalytic converter and more. Had to wait 2 days for the exhaust manifold gasket and another day for headlight mounting nuts (yes, you have to remove the headlights).

Will not mention the make of car as it is not HAMB approved but you can see it in some of Kurt's pictures.

Hope to work on again Kurt this week.

brEad likes this.
  27. rgclouse

rgclouse

True to my word, I did get something done on Kurt yesterday. Bidenomics and inflation has made me change my priorities to working on projects I don't have to spend money on. I was tired of looking at the bare and rusty front framerails. It was always my intention to pull the engine and body off and then paint the frame. Don't see that happening in my remaining lifetime so decided to clean them up and get some paint on them since I had the paint on hand..

Got them cleaned up and primered.
    957 110623 Pass side front frame rail cleanedup and primered.jpg 958 110623 Driver side front frame rail cleanedup and primered.jpg

Primer needs 24 hours so hope to have the topcoat on the afternoon.

While painting, it was time to finish a repair on Kurt's stablemate. Last Spring, I backed the MH out of the garage forgetting I did not move the blue car all the way out the driveway. Crunch. Nice pushed in and creased dent in the front edge of the hood. Got it mostly repaired last month but was waiting on the paint to arrive. Put the final primer coat on yesterday. Topcoat on tap for today.
    959 110623 Kurts stablemate gets some corrective bodywork.jpg

Parnell, Okie Pete and Kelly Burns like this.
  28. rgclouse

rgclouse

Got the top coat on the front frame rails yesterday. Didn't get the pic posted yesterday. Back on fall chores today except for getting the masking off the front end. Looks much better.
    20231107_144503.jpg

Also got Kurt's stablemate's hood painted yesterday.

Okie Pete, Parnell and Kelly Burns like this.
  29. rgclouse

rgclouse

Eight days since I last posted. Had to look at my calendar to see why I didn't get more done on Kurt. Saw I had 2 days of doctor appointments. Since I have to drive about 60 miles each way to Nashville, it basically takes up a whole day. Plus, I don't usually work on Kurt on Sundays.

Got the masking all stripped and all the hoses, wires, and cables clamped back in place.
    961 111623 Cables and wires reattached.jpg

Started building a bracket to hold the puke bottle (overflow bottle). Need to finish welding it and paint it. Much nicer than the zip ties that were holding it. Would have finished it this morning nut I was sweating so much I couldn't see to weld. I don't know why it wasn't that hot but the humidity must have been up.
    964 111623 Mounting bracket farbricated for overflow bottle.jpg

First cutout of a cover for the headlight relay and wires. Next have to bend it.
    962 111623 Cover for wires and headlamp relay to be bent.jpg

30. rgclouse

rgclouse

Get the Overflow bottle mounting bracket completed, primed, painted and installed.
    965 111723 Overflow bottle bracket complete.jpg
    966 111723 Overflow mount primered .jpg

967 111823 Overflow bottle mount painted and installed.jpg

Then on to the headlight relay cover. Got it bent, fitted, and mounted. Next up get it painted.
    968 111823 Headlight Relay cover ready for paint.jpg

Delayed posting due to computer problems on the machine I use to shrink and cleanup my pictures. Have been having issues half the time it reboots with saying "non system disk". Decided to replace the hard-drive with a SSD. Cloning software screwed up access to my backup USB drives. Apparently a known problem but it took me all day to recover and get things back to normal. I spent 39 years in the computer business before I retired. What would a mere mortal do?

All well now and much faster.

set me on fire likes this.