Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Killed Myself When I Was Young

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 22, 2011.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

SWEEEET! Ryan, you are my hero of the day.

2. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

makes you wonder if it was safer to get thrown from the car or stay strapped in without cage...

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

A crash is a pretty random mess of physics, so it's hard to say. And each car is built differently from the next.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

You have a great way with words. Amen.

5. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

it's a rare occasion that I watch a movie that sends chills up my spine, this movie did, I can't believe how some of those guys got up and walked away as if they had fallen of their peddle car like 10 year old kid,riding around in the driveway........ these guys had balls made out boran steel

6. AllenK

AllenK

I did watch the video,but I don't go to the races to see crashes. I have family and friends that race in various forms of motorsports,and I know the time and money that goes toward building a race car. I don't want to see anyone get hurt and especially not killed. If anyone goes to the races for that reason they're oxygen thieves IMO.

7. Dzus

Dzus

It's amazing how many of those crashes in the vid they walked away from.

Wow watching that takes me back to going to the jalopy races with Grampa. I remember one time a clutch or flywheel blew right in front of the grandstands and a chunk flew out and injured a lady off to the side of us.

8. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Although a very few used them over the years, seatbelts were not required at Indy until about 1960. I remember reading that Roger Ward was teased for using one before they were mandatory.

In the old days it wasn't unusual that a car involved in a fatal crash could be fairly easily repaired.

9. Mike White

Mike White

I have loved racing since my single digit years. I have run Bonneville & been around lots of Drag Racing, etc. I thank you for the film. One of those crashes looked like Floyd Roberts @ Indy, I think it was '39. His son was my boss in the late '70's - early 80's.
    One thing, I would take issue with is your statement that about 90% of the spectators are looking for carnage. I personally have never met anyone that seemed like that.
    Love the H.A.M.B.
    Mike

10. well said.
    witnessed, Ted Abbott, a flag man at the local stock car track get killed when a car flew in the air and knocked him off the stand. safety for the track crews is better now too.

11. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Wow, that video was intense. No better way to describe it. I watched it twice. Unbelievable what some of those guys walked away from. And it's horrifying to think that some of these guys were crushed, burned, or otherwise ended it all right there.

Makes me feel real lucky, having a 1960 or earlier vehicle for a daily driver ever since I got my license.

12. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I have to agree that was hard to watch.

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Speachless, amazing to see that anyone still had life to them after such wrecks.

14. hmm so thats why all the drivers heads broke off my 1960's open cockpit slot cars ... not quite as horrible when its plastic...

15. Dirk35

Dirk35

Good song to pair it with. Man, seeing the people seperated from the car was tough to watch.

16. I feel safer in a Roadster than a motorcycle... but an accident in any vehicle can kill you!

17. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

18. Crankhole

Crankhole

Wish I hadn't watched that.

19. Whoa, glad my server is crap and I only get jumpy movies! I saw enough, saw it thru- yeah, is that Vukovich? Ugh..

I once saw a fellow die crossing the line as the winner.

20. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Its amazing to see the dynamics of these cars, they were certainly easy enough to upset!.
    I wraped my Nova around a pole when I was 19yrs old @ 50mph, scariest thing to date! I can still hear the very last breath of that engine. Pushed a front wheel into the passenger seat (Literally). wasn't wearing a seat belt or nothin either
    I get flash backs from it sometimes BUT... To be able to live through one of these crashes here, then get back into a racing car? Mannnn, they must have just loved racing.

Thanks Ryan,
    Its good to be grounded sometimes

21. striper

striper

Every time I drive my modified it kind of scares me. Seeing that confirms that my fear is justified.

But the fear is part of why I drive it.

Been said before...you only live once.

Pete

22. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Wow. Most amazing is how many jumped right up after the roll over.

23. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

WOW , Those are truly the great race car drivers ! They gave everything just to race . Things have come a long ways since then with all the safety we have in cars today but sill there are some every year that never get to go back home again . I guess you just alway think it won't happen to you . I was very lucky a few times when drag racing back in the 70's .
    It amazed me to see some of the horrible wrecks and still the racer walked away ! Someone above was really looking out for them that day for sure . I bet they still built another race car and went racing again ! It's was in their blood and for the love of racing no matter how great of the risk involved .
    That one did give me chills to see some of the ones that never made it back home that day and the horrible way they lost their lives . We should all thank them for all they gave so we can have a much safer race today .
    Those men are the hero's of racing !

Retro Jim

24. rat seeker

rat seeker

25. Smokey2

Smokey2

Ryan, ONE....of My worst fears, when I started hangin' with car guys.....was, they were STILL playin' "Chicken"........and Road Racing!!
    Very Scary, for a 16 yr old....with (maybe?) a little bit of brains.
    I'll watch tha' Video.....after, a full stomach.
    Got my firewall Plaque, Thanks.
    Smokey :cool:

"anybody?, Get hurt...In That wreck?, NO!,
    But your sister GOT CUT!"

26. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

It took alot of that to make safety what it is today.:(Awsome piece.

27. Awesome video...Those dudes were some tough SOB's.

28. Kenny P

Kenny P

DAMN!!
    Neat footage, but, like lots of others said.......
    "kinda hard to watch"

29. nachodog

nachodog
    from socal

Old race car drivers were some of the bravest and craziest s.o.b's ever. Intense video, they deserve all the respect in the world.

30. jroberts

jroberts

Having been a course worker for the East Coast Timing Association for many years, I have seen more crashes than I ever wanted to. Most turned out with the driver being safe and okay (thanks to stringent safety regs.), but not always. This film indeed is hard to watch, but like has been said many times here we have learned from such incidents and our race cars today are much much safer now than even a few years ago. The sad thing is that I am afraid we are at times slow learners. It took a long, long time for many safety items (safety belts and helmets for example) to be accepted and then be mandated by racing organizations.