Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just A Big Model (T)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BigJoeArt, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I may have missed this, but how do your upper shock mounts assemble?

BigJoeArt and Tman like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Tim_with_a_T there is a nut welded into one half and a stud on the other. Spin the uprights on and bolt it to the car

look close and you can see it IMG_9340.jpeg

drdave, BigJoeArt and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  3. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I understand now, thanks for that. Pretty slick.

Tim and BigJoeArt like this.
  4. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

I can't lay claim to the idea, Eric Anderson did it on his T years ago and I always thought it was neat.

winduptoy, Outback, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Gas cans cost less at gas stations than at Farm supply stores. That`s what we found out on that adventure.

Outback, Sancho, drdave and 1 other person like this.
  6. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

Last week I drove the T to work most days, and tweaked little things on it in preparation for the trip to Oklahoma.

[​IMG]

baby girl was excited...

[​IMG]

ok, so it was more about the zero turn lawnmower than the car, but we did take her for another drive up the driveway, and she loved it.

I raised the rear of the car by an inch or so, so it would bottom out less with two people in it.

[​IMG]

I had noticed on the way back from Austin's, that the passenger side headlight was bouncing, so one Wednesday night I pulled it apart and added a couple more washers, which tightened it right back up.

[​IMG]

I also got to try something out that I got from @titus while in Minnesota,

[​IMG]

It actually worked pretty well with some silica sand from my sandblaster, and it was pretty contained.

[​IMG]

Totally useable again.

Saturday afternoon I pulled the 185 thermostat out and installed a 160 unit, that I drilled a couple holes in to let it bleed the air out.

It seems like it is working much more efficiently, but it didn't get as hot in my heater on sunday morning...

[​IMG]

When I got up Sunday at 5:30 to leave for Pattonsburg, it was about 60 degrees and boy, it was cold in some of the low spots we drove through. (fog is icy cold FYI)

Got to see the sunrise through the windshield of a hot rod, always a good thing.

[​IMG]

It was a good show, with around 250 cars.

[​IMG]

After sitting around and chatting for awhile, it got hot and I got restless.

So what's another 30 miles?

So I went to Lamoni to see my buddy Greg.

[​IMG]

I pulled maps up on my phone, and it took me out through the middle of nowhere to get home, but it was a beautiful day, the car was running good, so I didn't mind.

[​IMG]

Got some interesting bugs on the rad, including this one that almost matched the car.

[​IMG]

This thing was clean a couple days ago..

[​IMG]

But driving is what I built it for, so its perfect.

Is it time to go to Oklahoma yet??

We will leave out Thursday morning, and get there sometime on Thursday afternoon.

See you there!

brEad, Sancho, winduptoy and 8 others like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Got my bags packed already is it time to go yet??

drdave, BigJoeArt, winduptoy and 2 others like this.
  8. Hope to see you guys in a few days... :cool:

drdave, Tim, BigJoeArt and 2 others like this.
  9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes....looking forward to it....safe travels...totally trouble free as well with the only delays from curious folks at gas stops and rest breaks....

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
    drdave, Tim and BigJoeArt like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’m sure he’ll update but figure I’d add these here IMG_9851.jpeg post water pump swap ready to head northbound to home IMG_9850.jpeg big smile for a little car IMG_9852.jpeg surprisingly after a couple hours the only
    Time I really heard the car on the highway was a bark down shifting to slow down IMG_9853.jpeg check the gas, fill the oil, drive repeat

brEad, mctim64, RodStRace and 6 others like this.
  11. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

@Tim you have a grouse Tudor, I love it!
    @BigJoeArt I'm looking forward to hearing of the antics shenanigans of the weekend away

BigJoeArt and Tim like this.
  12. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

wow do we have a lot to catch up on.

Wednesday night we dropped Baby girl off and the grandparents house down the hill, got our bags packed, and I filled the T with gas.

got up at 4:30 Thursday morning and after making coffee, I went downstairs to finish loading up the car.

When I opened the door, I was smacked in the face with the smell of raw fuel.

Not good.

[​IMG]

I opened the trunk to find the fuel sender gasket was seeping fuel.

So, I pulled all the stuff out of the trunk, and removed the turtledeck to get at the sender.

[​IMG]

I tightened the bolts a bit, and it seemed to stop the leak, so I reassembled, and reinstalled the junk in the trunk.

About 5:30 we got on the road.

Only 30 minutes off schedule.

[​IMG]

Off we went.

(note, I said we, My wife followed me down in her subaru, I bought rims from my buddy in texas, and they were being delivered to oklahoma, so we needed the room to drag those home. She was heartbroke when we left in 50 degree damp weather, to have a heater and windows. it was cold. )

[​IMG]

I'll have you know, Fog is cold.

[​IMG]

See that weird 'glove'? Like an idiot, I forgot to bring gloves and all I could find between the two cars was 1 wool sock. so my left hand got a sock glove.

[​IMG]

Note the temp gauge? If you recall I changed the thermostat for a 160 degree one, and drilled a couple holes in it to help bleed... well, it didnt top 160 the whole way down.

great for engine temps. terrible for making heat.

Made it through the middle of topeka during rush hour, and stopped at yates center to stretch the legs and get a snack.

[​IMG]

Then once we got to Independence KS, we stopped, had lunch, and walked around town a bit.

[​IMG]

And if you've been to bartlesville, you know that we were only a hop, skip, and a jump away from there.

So we went skipping.

I rolled in and parked right up front.

[​IMG]

The parking lot was already filling up with killer stuff.

I spent the night thursday watching stuff file in, reuniting with friend's, and introducing my wife to all the people I only see once a year.

I'll have a "T thru the eyes of other weirdos" post later, but I have to share a photo @Tim took on thursday night.

[​IMG]

Once it was well past dark, I changed the plugs, and then drove over to the hotel across town, and got ready for the reliability run on friday.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
    mctim64, redzula, drdave and 9 others like this.
  13. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

Friday, part one.

we got up Friday morning and cruised over to the host hotel, where the lot was already packed full of hot rods rearing to go on the reliability run.

before too long, they started off and after waiting for the initial traffic jam to die down, we headed out.

[​IMG]

(I'm smiling in there)

We got out on highway 75, where I promptly caught up with a line of cars in the slow lane and blew by them. Just after I passed the third or fourth group of slow moving show cars (60 in a 70 mph zone) I saw the small sign saying -> turn here-> as I went by it.

this led to me sitting in the median while all the other cars I had just passed drove by and turned the corner.

but it was fun.

Jimmy smith caught me coming into our first stop in barnsdall.

[​IMG]

and after hanging out for awhile and waiting for the rush to die out again, we headed off for Pawhuska.

And after a ridiculous traffic jam on the way in, we arrived in downtown Pawhuska.

[​IMG]

and sorry to whoever took this, I forget who I stole the picture from, but I just thought it was neat, While my wife walked around some of the shops, I stood around and talked to Coby (@Church ) and Jimmy (@Jeem ) about all manner of random subjects.

[​IMG]

after we ate our sack lunch we brought, and some pastries that my wife acquired, I took a pit stop and then we headed out.

[​IMG]

It was Super windy on the way back from Pawhuska, so we hunkered down and put the pedal down.

once back in Bartlesville we stopped at this old school(?) that caught our eye and I had to snap a couple pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then went back into town, ate a quick dinner and got changed for the friday night street party.

[​IMG]

Things were in full swing when we got there, but the party really starts in the next post...

brEad, mctim64, Max Gearhead and 6 others like this.
  14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

“That’s when the party really starts”

lol also ”that’s when timm sat down and woke up 5 hours later to a lot of missed calls and curious voice mails lol”

drdave, Outback and BigJoeArt like this.
  15. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

So, this part of the story really starts 3 years ago, the second year that they had the gathering at the roc, and the first year I was accepted into the show with the Tamale wagon.

See, I've had this pup tent since high school, and it was holding up great, but the bag had seen better days.

So my wife found a vintage bed cover at goodwill for a couple bucks and thought, its ugly, Joey will love it.

[​IMG]

and I did. maybe too much.

There were jokes made about making a set of pants out of the fabric left over (there was a lot of it) and try as she might to avoid it, I kept bringing it back up, and finally started pushing the deadline of this years Friday street party at the Roc.

So with her finally convinced, I got another bright idea,

[​IMG]

Gathering the rest of the fabric up, I decided to spruce the inside of the T up a bit.

[​IMG]

the next day, outside:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this was a couple weeks ago, so when I drove it to Pattonsburg it was already done (I may have blacked out the one shot in that post the showed the interior...)

but after last weekend, I had another stoke of brilliance.

I have some small chunks of foam that I stick under the lower back of the seat as extra lumbar support, and they have always been a little... boring , and janky looking.

So I had one last request for my wonderful and patient wife,

pillowcases.

[​IMG]

Complete with the tassels that once lined the whole of the bed cover.

and the whole ensemble.

[​IMG]

Needless to say, I stood out.

[​IMG]

Brandon had to get a picture with me,

[​IMG]

And T had to get a picture of me with the fellows from their group, (note @383deuce and @rob lee in his fancy shirt!)

[​IMG]

A good time was had by all.

and we hadn't even made it to the show yet!

brEad, mctim64, roadwarrior84 and 9 others like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ve never noticed them before but after spotting your pillows I notice quite a few lumbar pad pillows at the show in cars. None nearly as stylish though

guthriesmith, drdave and BigJoeArt like this.
  17. What can I say? Those pants really tie the room…err car… together.

guthriesmith, drdave, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  18. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Those pants & trim are great! Well done to the both of you!

BigJoeArt likes this.
  19. Man! Those pants are the cat's pajamas! I'm totally bummed I didn't see you Friday night to get to see them in person! Your wife is a gem!

20. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Slicker than a slick thing!

BigJoeArt likes this.
  21. Well, I was there Friday night but didn’t get to see the pants. I did get to hear the story from you and your wife Saturday though. Anyway, good seeing you. :D

BigJoeArt and Outback like this.
  22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

We need to set your wife up with a commercial sewing machine.

Sancho, BigJoeArt and drdave like this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Havnt made it to his show update so I’ll add a bit. I haven’t ridden in the car ever before we had to run for parts and I’ll eat my hat a little on this and say the car rides a hell of a lot better than I expected it to. For being two inches off the ground is wasnt jarring at all. Seems to have picked good shocks as well as there wasn’t any noticeable jounce when hitting rough road.

Felt like a newer performance car ride wise from the passenger seat, I can’t speak to how to steers etc but it was a firm but smooth ride. Kudos to Joey on that.

also for being a pretty loud car, with the baffles in it really didn’t bother me at all. I think the wind was just as loud. I think you’d want ear protection on a long drive but cutting across town was no trouble.

24. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

Wow I'm behind. its been a hell of a couple weeks getting things back to normal, getting ready for two art shows and a model show.

Anyway, back to Saturday.

We got up early Saturday morning, and it was chilly.

[​IMG]

But we had a good attitude and warm drinks, so we blasted out to woolaroc

[​IMG]

Once out there we hung out in line for a couple minutes.

(photo from a video on instagram)

[​IMG]

Once in they directed me to park "over by the hop up tent"

so I picked a spot with some shade, and walked away.

There was too much cool stuff to see to stay by my car.

(photo stolen from kyle on instagram)

[​IMG]

There was So many cool cars, one of my favorites was the Top Banana!

[​IMG]

of course there were customs too...

[​IMG]

And trucks...

[​IMG]

and hot rods,

[​IMG]

And even a couple race cars!

[​IMG]

With my wife there, I finally found time to do a walk through of the museum!

its amazing all the things they have there.

[​IMG]

(side note, if you want to learn more about the plane that Woolaroc derives its namesake from, look up Brian Lohnes "dorkamotive" podcast about the dole air race. its really neat. )

It's really a beautiful place for a car show.

It was a perfect day, and I wore my wife out introducing her to other people (and telling the story of the pants)

[​IMG]

But eventually we had to leave, and after being in a traffic jam with buffalo, (who didn't seem impressed or affected by open headers) we made our way to the exit.

had to take a picture by the entry building (originally an airstrip office, later a template for phillips 66 stations around the USA.)

[​IMG]

And after a quick supper, my wife stayed at the hotel and I went back and hung out at the host hotel for another couple hours.

Now all I had to do was get home.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  25. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

We woke up Sunday morning a little later, but still in time to get to the church service at the host hotel.

I'm sure the other people at the hotel appreciated the wake up call of a 15 minute warmup played by open headers.

When we left the host hotel it was 9am and I made my way up hwy 75 to dewey, to meet with @Tim at the predetermined caseys meeting point.

Once there I found a big puddle and some work to be done.

Rare shot of tim working

[​IMG]

I even made it on his story while I dug around for tools.

[​IMG]

After we got his water pump swapped out we hit the road.

[​IMG]

We stopped in independence, KS and topped off fuel and I shut my heater core off, since I could see it was weeping down the firewall.

We went about 70mph up to yates center where we met up with my wife who had went on ahead of us. I nabbed some snacks from her car, and had lunch with Tim and Sarah, while she kept driving north.

[​IMG]

After a check of the oil on both cars, we hit the road again. after Tim spilt off on 35 north, I put the hammer down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After awhile I made it to the south side of st joe, where I surprised my wife by catching up to her.

We stopped in st joe and had a nice meal to cap off our first vacation alone without baby girl.

I let her lead on the way home, and had a nice relaxing drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once home we had a warm welcome from grandma, grandpa and of course, a very excited baby girl.

[​IMG]

She's taking notes for next time.

8250 miles down. lets see if we can get to 10k.

Now all that's left is photos from other people!

brEad, Tim_with_a_T, mctim64 and 6 others like this.
  26. BigJoeArt

BigJoeArt

I'm gonna start off with saying sorry, I stole all these photos and I don't know who all I stole them from.

I'll try to give credit where credit is due as well as I can.

And if you see your picture... Claim it! and thanks for thinking it was neat enough to take a picture of.

we'll start off with a couple from @Tim from thursday night.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

another from thursday night.

[​IMG]

@twotallokie ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and heres a mixed bag from... the weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@mctim64
    [​IMG]

And a few from the show on saturday...

[​IMG]

@autoiconic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@travisfromkansas for Fuel curve.

[​IMG]

And one of my personal favorites, another @twotallokie picture, from the friday reliability run.

[​IMG]

Have any more I haven't posted? post 'em up I'd love to see 'em.

Now I gotta get back to work prepping for the art show.

and yes, I'm driving the roadster to st louis, with art stuff, in october. It'll be fine...

Maybe i'll get the heater fixed.

catdad49, mctim64, redzula and 3 others like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Least you got my good side

drdave, BigJoeArt and Sancho like this.
  28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Spray some Scotchgarde on your interior cloth panels. It`ll keep them from fading.

brEad, redzula, Outback and 3 others like this.
  29. guilld

guilld

Like all the pics

BigJoeArt likes this.