Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there such a thing as a cool "bobber" pickup or would I be wasting my time?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No, read what he originally posted; "TRADITIONAL was born from guys building it themselves using parts they had on hand or could afford."

I submit that it is slightly more nuanced than that. Do you disagree?

I'm not sure what you're asking...IMO, traditional means more than simply following in "the spirit" of the past - it is a recreation of the cars they actually built using the same parts they actually used (and I would take it a step further by adding 'using the techniques they actually used'). You want to know what's "traditional" in that sense? Look at period photos and untouched 'survivors'... Ever see any "bobber" trucks using post-1930's cabs in 1940's, 1950's, and early 1960's photos? Any documented 'survivors' from the 40's? 50's? 60's?

I haven't, but would be willing to embrace them if you could produce them...How is that complicated?

2. Anderson

Anderson

It inspires both vomit and diarrhea.

3. Traditional pickups;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Quintin

Quintin

in my eyes its not complicated, i understand that you are following things you see in photos. Im not saying there were many built in the "bobber" style, lets just say there were only 5 trucks built like that in the 60s and they never got in a magazine. Does that still not make them traditional. So to be traditional is to copy other peoples rides from old hot rod mags? Dont get me wrong, my truck is a 39, its not my favorite ride but its mine and its mostly traditional built. My argument is that just cause it wasnt in a mag from the 50s doesnt mean its not traditional.

5. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

You can build a nice bober that is not a rat... it'll never be some peoples thing. to make it real nice it is a ton of work. A real nice bobber is cool... most are crap...

6. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Here's mine. It may not be "traditional" but it beats letting the cab rust away in the junkyard where it sat for 30 years. Not the most comfortable car in the world but I have a lot of fun with it. It's got 15,000 miles in the 4 years it's been on the road. I don't regret building it at all.

Blue

7. Movinman

Movinman

amen, brother george!

8. gold03

gold03

The nice thing is that the dinosaurs died out and so will bullshit about "tradition".

I'm not sure where the idea of tradition came from. To many guys want to hang on to a period in time, in a certain place when a certain style was acceptable, and close there minds to the fact that history has demonstrated that hot rods have evolved and gone in many different directions. That is the tradition of hot rods.

Where the hell was a 32 Ford "Traditional"? Nowhere that 90% of the people in North America lived!!

If this site is evolving along other lines, maybe its because that is where hot rods are going. People come here to learn from others on the site. If all you know is all there is to know, OMG its going to get boring.

There are only so many 32 fords out there. What then, a non-traditional fibreglass, or aftermarket body:eek: Maybe even radial tires and modern brakes!! Good God what next? Hula Hoops and short skirts? Wouldn't that be cheeky?

gold03

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hahaha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.