Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage IRON INVASION the Chicago land Hot Rod Custom & Cycle show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolstuff, May 27, 2014.

1. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

2. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Someone emailed me asking where the thread was for the Iron Invasion on the HAMB. Guess we didn't have one until now. Hope everyone can join us once again at the McHenry County Fairgrounds in Woodstock IL. October 4. Details will be announced as we get them confirmed. We will have the pre party at the Harley Davidson dealership that is about 1.5 miles down the road. This is also the place where trailers can park if there anyone needs trailer parking. We will be posting the official schedule soon. We will NOT be doing any type of pre registrations this year. Everyone shows up, pays $10 to get in and that is it. There is NO EXTRA CHARGE to show your car. Spectators and car and bike owners all pay the same entry. We will have the friends parking area again as well. Motorcycle parking and swap meet will be in different location this year as well. All proceeds go to Helping Hannahs Heart which has been able to give away $7500 thus far to families with children suffering from congenital heart problems.

3. silent rick

silent rick

hey john, is this just a one day show now? the friday afternoon atmosphere at the fairgrounds could not be beat. anyway, got three rooms across the street from the hd dealership at the super8. see you in october.

4. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

silent rick - we have had to reduce the cost of the show - we are now only renting the place for Friday and Saturday - this means setup day is Friday. We will have a place for everyone to hang out that shows up early on Friday, but you wont be able to drive in to the show area. Instead we will have the staging area ready for cars that want to come early on Friday and hang out. We will have many volunteers, vendors, and swap meet people setting up and getting everything lined up for Saturday, so we hope that you will understand that we will not be able to hang out with you that day. After hanging out at the McHenry county fairgrounds for a bit, you can hit the open house at Hopperstads in Belvidere IL from 3-430pm. We will let everyone know if Hot Rod Chassis and Cycle will plan on having open house as well on that Friday. Woodstock Harley Davidson will be having a band and free food at the official pre party for Iron Invasion. So, go check them out around 5pm on Oct 3.

5. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Please note that 2014 Iron Invasion will have much less indoor vendor space (plenty of outdoor space). We will NOT be renting as many buildings this year. This is part of the effort to reduce costs associated with the show. By reducing costs, we will be able to donate more $$ families with children that have congenital heart defects. If you wish to get a 10 x 10 spot, please send $100 to [email protected]
    Thanks for all the help in getting Iron Invasion rolling over the past couple of years. This year is going to be great. Not only are we working on getting some rarely seen historic hot rods, cycles, and customs..... we are giving away an Ironhead courtesy of Harley-Davidson! Everyone that pays an entry fee (including vendors) will have a chance to walk away with a chopper that has been stylized, painted, and fabbed by Relic, Underground Art Studios, and Union Speed and Style! So, mark Oct 4 as THE day to get together with all your friends in Woodstock Illinois.

6. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Will that artwork be on a t-shirt?

Jeff

7. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

we hope so

8. this all sounds great to me;...so volunteers won't be able to win the bike?

9. LONG

LONG

I'll be there.

10. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Yes - volunteers will be able to get their entry to win the Ironhead after they serve their shift. AND, for those that want to increase their odds on winning, we will be selling additional tickets on site. MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN, winner has one minute to claim prize. If they are not on the stage within 60 seconds, another name will be drawn.

11. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'm bummed it conflicts with the Newport Hill climbs. I know it wont cost you a lot of cars but its probably all of our central Illinois group. I just wish they didn't conflict.

12. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

if we were the second weekend, we conflict with Mecum which is 25 miles away. When given the choice between a hot rod show and a nationally televised weather proof show and auction, the local gearheads (spectators) choose to go see Mecum (not to mention I need the payday since I work for them). We had no choice..... there is no way we will ever make everyone happy and yes it conflicts with Newport. But I know many that have been to Newport for 10 years and are deciding to come to Iron Invasion instead. Perhaps in 2015 you can switch it up and come to Iron Invasion if it happens.....

13. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I understand you didn't have a choice I'm just bummed they conflict. I might still try to do both. I was able to go to the Iron Invasion last year because the date changed and it was great! That is why I'm so bummed they both are great events.

14. LONG

LONG

I think I'd look good cruising that bike. cant wait to win it........

15. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

16. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Dans Hot Rod Photos came out last year and saw this!

Attached Files:

17. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Another image Dan captured

Attached Files:

18. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Another cool Caddy that hit the Iron Invasion last year

Attached Files:

19. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

wait until you see what I just got in. I am saving it for Iron Invasion.

20. Bob, give us a hint,....
    [​IMG]

21. silent rick

silent rick

so anything happening after the show on saturday or is everybody going home?

i'm thinking next year i won't even bother with hotel rooms and just show up on saturday morning. heck, might even cancel this year.

22. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

silent rick......... lets see.....
    a pre party on Friday night at the HD Woodstock dealership - the same location where we can park trailers that happen to come from far away. And yes....we have cars that come from FAR away. Not sure you realize we had 10 states represented last year (as far away as Washington state). The morning of the show we will have the swap meet vendors getting in at 6am and public gets in at 8am. We will have activities ALL day long....and if you STICK AROUND you will be treated to vintage motocross at 330pm at the fairgrounds. If you stay even longer we will be having an after party on the historic Woodstock Square. Details on this were to be announced after July 10 when contracts are signed, but after your post above I felt the need to tell you we are planning even MORE for this year. I know some wont show up this year for whatever reason..... but you will be missing out on the Calori Coupe (for those that don't know their history this was a Hot Rod magazine cover car in 1949), feature car buildings filled with magazine feature cars, pin up contest, bands, icons of pinstriping art show and auction, the flame and stunt show, mini bike keg pull, and Harley Davidson is sponsoring an Ironhead Chopper GIVEAWAY. Yes - Give away. Every person that pays to get in the show, gets one free entry to the give away. I have been to about 400 shows over the last 10 years and can tell you that there is no show that gives you this much for $10. So Silent Rick, if you cancel this year.....you will be missed.....but I suspect the party is gonna keep on going strong. We want you here and I hope to seeya at another show down the road.... Relix Riot, Panty Raid, Cheaterama, White Knuckle Scramble, etc. Remember that last year was 80% chance of rain and it rained really hard for a good hour in the middle of the day. We still had a great turnout. I can't tell you how many people emailed and told me it was their favorite show of the year. We hope to top it this year. Details about the after party and the bands that will be playing will be announced with signing of the contracts.

23. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

sounds like you have an awesome event planned John!

I know how you agonize to please every single person. But you need to let it go. Please the majority. If you can make 990 people happy and have 10 folks that aren't, you are batting better than every other show promoter out there.

24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

25. With everything this show has to offer, I can't understand why anyone cares what's goin on AFTER the show,...besides the show downtown on the sqaure mite go til who knows when. I plan to be at the show bright and early and stay late, so that figures out
    to about 70 cents per hour, if that's not a bargain, I don't know what is.
    The day will fly by with everything going on.
    A few club members and myself are volunteering to help with the swapmeet again this year; I feel it's a priveledge to be able to be a part of this show.

bobwop likes this.
  26. silent rick

silent rick

i believe you misunderstood me. i meant cancel the hotel room for saturday night. if there was nothing going on after the show, i could make it back home in time for svengoolie

27. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Thanks for the kind words Rusty1 and Bobwop and
    Thanks Silent Rick - I did misunderstand - and anytime someone can sneak a Svengoolie reference into a post has to be a decent dude! Ha - seeya there and perhaps some other shows this summer.

28. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

those are some good pictures from last year Rusty1 - here is another that Dans Hot Rod Photo caught on camera

Attached Files: