Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Info on D spoke 15x9.5 magnesium wheels

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sonic03bluegt, Feb 23, 2016.

1. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

image.jpg Anyone have any info on these wheels ? No markings on them. D spoke design. They measure about a 1/4 narrower than American 15x10's . Wanted to make sure they weren't super rare and desirable before I drill them for screws. Have 4 of them.

2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Sell them for scrap the price is up ! My first mag Americans never had any markings on the either

3. Tony

Tony

The 15x10 magnesium Americans i have now dont have markings, neither did the 16x10 mag Americans i had.
    If those are magnesium which they sure apear they are rare and desirable, and can be worth some pretty hefty coin.

I wouldnt drill them if they were mine, but they are not.
    Just saying.

Nice wheels though.

Tony

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  4. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Magnesium D Americans.....rare? Yes!....like others have said...I wouldn't drill them either. Very few people know how to weld magnesium.

5. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Btw...if you have a set of 4....they probably are from a flared... late 60s early 70s... Trans Am style car....what's the bolt pattern? I see those on a flared '69 Mach 1....or possible a Corvette...

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

All four same size?
    I wouldn't drill them, pretty valuable.
    No center cap screw holes ?
    May have been off a Trans-Am car if one pair is narrower.
    Echo, echo.

falcongeorge likes this.
  7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

DONT drill these wheels! My thought is DDDenny & Black panther have it nailed...

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

why saying they are magnesium? looks like there is aluminum shining through some grey paint

9. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

The D style wheel wasn't used too often to my knowledge on the rear of old gasser style cars....they used the straight spoke wheel. The D was for disc brake caliper clearance...specifically 4 piston caliper disc brakes....kind of pegs the wheel to a small window of time...1965 to 1971 or so..and only certain cars ran those....

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    falcongeorge and hotrodtodd1960 like this.
  10. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

JJ....where the tire goes looks magnesium to me....those white oxidation streaks against a charcoal backround scream mag. I might be wrong...they might be aluminum...that doesn't change my assessment of the wheels though...to my knowledge only Appliance and Americans made D spoke wheels. The Appliance wheels have recessed lug holes....these dont have those...added to that no markings on the back=magnesium...especially this style wheel...

I might be wrong...I don't have the wheels here to look at them...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Kool find. love real mag wheels have a good friend who can weld and repair Magnesium. You have two sets of rears, If you need fronts or halibrands I trade or buy , but I don't sell any. My Americans are marked . wish I could be of more help.

12. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

JJ...look at the op's title to this thread...I was starting to second guess myself...

13. Model T1

Model T1

Are these the same? Bought this '39 Ford around 1972 with these wheels on it. Everyone just calls them Torque Thrust "D's" The outer rims will polish up. It's been sitting now over 40 years.
    IMG_20150504_145851223.jpg IMG_20150504_145913514.jpg

14. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Model T1....no those are normal straight spoke wheels... not D's. They also could have been made by a number of companies back then.

UPDATE...I Googled 9.5" Corvette L88 and came up with this...in 1969 the SCCA generally allowed a 1.5" wider wheel than stock. The Corvette had a 8" wide wheel....thus the 9.5" was born in this style. The 68 Corvette had a 15x7 wheel....and this was all over by 1972 or so when flares became popular....if those wheels are Chevy pattern..you have a real find there...

15. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Here is a pic I found of James Garners 1968 Corvette L88 AIR race car..running this exact style wheel....

Attached Files:

falcongeorge and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

I have a set of four came off 68 Camaro scca car

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      204.4 KB
      Views:
    falcongeorge likes this.
  17. Those are mag D spokes - note the undrilled cap "ears" - rare wheels. I would NOT drill these - if you need to mount slicks buy other wheels.

Steve

falcongeorge likes this.
  18. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

Early Pro Stock and match race cars ran those type rear wheels Mag American 15x10 I had a new set on the back of 68 B/G Camaro in 1972. with 14x32 Firestones ,

19. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

They are Chevy 5x4 3/4. All 4 are 9.5 wide. 100% sure they are magnesium. Any idea on value. I'm not going to drill a pair until I find out value, and decide the best route to take

20. If you do a search using magnesium for your criteria in our class ads you will get an idea of what common magnesium wheels go for. yours are not common so at about 33 1/3% to the price and that should ball park you.

Here is the clincher on value, they could be worth a million or a dollar, if you can't sell them they are only worth using. ;)

21. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

I'm halfway up to date on mag prices, and just bought these. You couldn't tell they were d spokes in the for sale add

22. Well I hope you didn't take a beating on them.

I am going to be honest with you, from my perspective nothing is sacred. Old race parts or new race parts are made to be used and abused. If I wanted to mount wrinkle walls on a pair of wheels and those were the wheels that I had, I would drill them use them and never ever look back. ;)

blue57ford and sonic03bluegt like this.
  23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Gotta disagree in this case benno, those are sacred. There is some guy out there restoring a Trans-Am car or ex-SCCA Corvette that NEEDS those wheels. Advertise them in the right places, list them properly based on the info in this thread, and you will find multiple buyers...

Phillips likes this.
  24. Well you are correct and you are not, I wonder how many people are going to think that our disagreement is drama. LOL

yes they would sell quick to a restorer, but I have seen too damned many cars restored and then just ride around on a trailer. If I owned them and actually thought that someone would use them I would sell them in a heartbeat (no pun intended). The guy that was in the foundry sweating thought that those wheels were going to be used, that is what car parts are for being used, not looked at.

Let me PM you a story. ;)

sonic03bluegt likes this.
  25. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

I gave decent money for them, but probably below going rate especially considering their rarity

26. We are the mice and that's the cheese! ha ha That's a cool find. If I were you I would keep those .But if you sell them do your home work. I think they would look better on a HOT ROD. lol

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  27. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

I'm trying to do a little homework but I can't find much about them

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Benno, most guys that are going to buy these wheels will be racing the car in vintage road-racing, the road-race guys, ESPECIALLY the vintage Trans-Am guys, are generally a lot less "dilettante" than we are, they run their shit, and run it HARD. When they race their shit, its not posturing or parade, they really race it.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ask here.
    http://vrgonline.org/forums/
    Bet you will find a buyer too, PDQ.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC