Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I think I went too low…40 ford 5 window

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Busmania, Mar 9, 2024.

1. Dang that’s sexy

2. Easy to measure the wheels. Make two pieces of wood to go from just under the lip of the rim, put one on the front and one on the rear of the rim. Use a tape measure through the center hole of the rim, it will get you real close...it will be just over what the rim is, but under the next size.

If you go back to drum, use a complete set up from a 1953-56 Ford F100 (backing plates and hubs).

Woogeroo and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I love the stance on this, please don’t change it. If you are dead set on discs Roadster Supply offers a “narrow” front setup that has 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. The website didn’t specify how narrow but a call to Ian would clear that up quickly. Good luck and great job on your build.

chryslerfan55, Mike Riley and rod1 like this.
  4. Can you roll the fenders?

It's a pretty old school trick and still common oval track trick to gain tire clearance all you need is a baseball or softball ball.

5. remember also, if somethin doesn't scrape, it's not low enuf.
    I think your coupe sits perfect, love the wheel color also.

Cooon, 34 5W Paul, WC145 and 4 others like this.
  6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JFYI, there were/are two '40 Ford coupes; a Business coupe, and a Coupe-5 window, per Ford Motor Co.

chryslerfan55 and seabeecmc like this.
  7. Busmania

Busmania
    from Denver

of course they are out of the one I need! Maybe I’ll go this route. Do y’all really think if I go narrower with new brakes it will mostly fix my issue? Do they narrow 1” per side or 1” total?

is there a way to tell if my disc brakes are in fact the wider style? Or is it safe to assume they all are (unless I specifically order narrowed disc brakes)?

I’d rather not roll the fenders if I don’t have too.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only way to tell if your disks are moving your track width out is to measure the mounting surface to a fixed point, then install the stock drums and measure to the same point. MOST disk kits will add an inch per side, but not all.

Your car is cool as hell, by the way.

-Abone.

10. Busmania

Busmania
    from Denver

Maybe I’ll try to put the stock brakes on and see what happens. I was REALLY happy I didn’t have to worry about getting the front drums off (because I took the original axle/brakes out all as one unit). But I guess I can’t avoid taking it apart. I guess I know what I’m doing g today.

question…I put new spindles on when I did the disc brakes. Is a spindle a spindle meaning can I use the new spindle on my drum experiment or will I have to swap the og spindle too?

11. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine has a narrower axle and spring with a much smaller tire and it still drags the fender a bit. As long as you still have the rolled lip, it won't hurt those $$$ bias plys to rub a little.

40driveway.jpg

-Abone.

12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Is it an optical illusion or just my weak eyes, but it looks like the front tires are bigger than the rear tires? I'd try to find out just whats different between the wide/narrow disc set-ups. Might be a small modification will make yours work.

13. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as the spindles are a stock style 28-48 spindle, they all should be the same.

-Abone.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Whoamel

Whoamel
    from So Cal

I personally would wait and see if it's a problem after you get some miles on it. My '40 appears to have about the same amount of tire clearance between the top of the front tire and wheel well, and it doesn't rub. I don't have a photo handy, but I've had a few people comment that they like the stance. I really like the way yours sits.

15. Busmania

Busmania
    from Denver

Eh, there is no “trying” it out right now. The driver side is so bad if I force the wheel to turn much more than about 1/4 turn, it would damage the fender.

Why would my driver side be 3/4” lower? The passenger side isn’t as bad and the driver side is definitely 3/4” lower.

16. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

Maybe try resetting the ubolts for the axle. You possibly could have the left side honked down a little more. Just a thought.

17. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

How much do you weigh? :D

18. Busmania

Busmania
    from Denver

Good point on axle u bolts. I tightened one side and it helped. Not perfect but better for sure.

I put the original front drum backing plate and drum on (one side only for now). Then the wheel. No change. Damn!

I’m starting to suspect wheels. I eyeball measured them (with tire on rim but off of car so not perfect) and from very outter rim to outer rim is 5.5”. I’m assuming this means it’s the 4.5” wheel?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
    chryslerfan55 and Dan Hay like this.
  19. Looking good man!

20. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Measuring king pin to king pin is easy. Use a straight edge and drop a straight line to the floor. Use chalk or tape to mark it. Do the same on the other side and measure the distance between them.

chryslerfan55 and Busmania like this.
  21. Busmania

Busmania
    from Denver

perfect example of when my overthinking goes wrong. Thanks man!

05snopro440 likes this.
  22. alchemy

alchemy

Even if they are the 4.5” wheels, switching to the 4” would probably only get the sidewall in a 1/4”. And won’t change the edge of the tread any where the scraping happens.

23. maybe your front sheetmetal isn't square on the body...?

24. alchemy

alchemy

That sounds like the most likely reason for one side too close.

25. VF-1

VF-1

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always thought they were the exact same body but the business coupe didn't have jump seats in back.

VF-1 likes this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not a 40, no matter.
    Exhibit A as parked.
    Ryan Reeds' 37.
    upload_2024-3-11_10-25-51.png

As driven, HARD
    upload_2024-3-11_10-27-29.png

simplestone, WC145 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The exteriors are the same, but floors and rear bracing are different for the rear jump seats in the business coupe.

warbird1 and Bandit Billy like this.
  29. I welded 3/8 rod into the fender well opening , dropped it in from the inside and tacked it every inch or so. worked good the tires rubbed some but didn't bend the fenders

X-cpe and chryslerfan55 like this.