Register now to get rid of these ads!

I guess I offended somebody....?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Fortunateson, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

iI posted a thread yesterday about the Christmas season starting for me when it got the latest edition of Canadian Hot Rods and Jeff Norwell’s cover art of Santa. I didn’t think that was controversial but since I can’t find it I would at least like an explanation....

1949*john likes this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I sent you a PM but the short version is that we do not allow off topic holiday posts.

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

straight from the rules:
    And, most importantly:

6. Was your thread about something other than traditional hot rods and customs? Aside from a few "sidebar" topics that interest the staff here, we don't allow off topic posts. Your definition of "traditional" might differ from ours. That's fine. However, this is our forum and it's our definition that the forum is run off of.

5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I would have thought that Canadian Hot Rods, Jeff Norwell, and Santa with a race car would have fit....

1949*john and Thor1 like this.
  6. Man ,there have been hundreds of Christmas threads over the last 20 years. HRP

1949*john likes this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the only allowed off topic threads are started by Ryan, this is his place. It is perfectly allowable to have a Christmas thread if you make it about traditional hot rods . such as " I used my hot rod to pick up a christmas tree" and then provide a picture of your on topic car or truck with a christmas tree on or in it..... it is just that simple

Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
    Thor1 likes this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm fine with holiday posts actually... They just have to be related to hot rods and customs in some way... Here's an example of a great one:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/veterans-day.1305014/

And this rule has been in place for YEARS guys. YEARS. It's not that we don't like holidays. It's not that at all... It's just that about 5 years ago, we were getting over-ran with multiples... and no one wants 24 Happy Thanksgiving posts on the home page that they have to weed through to get to what they came here for. I know that, because this rule exists because of all the complaints I used to field.

In other words, this isn't some made up rule put into action as a power trip. It's a rule that many you guys actively and aggressively asked for... And now, it seems we field a shit ton of complaints calling us Satan because we don't allow Christmas posts.

Frustrating... and sort of boring too... but I’m all ears for suggestions.

1949*john, nosford, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Make a Holiday Sticky on the main board - (unlocked) so fellas can post on it.

If fellas post their Holiday wishes but not on the Holiday Sticky post, instead of deleting it, we just move it to the Holiday Sticky post.

Suggestion solved and all is Holiday - Merry Christmas.....happy :)

HOTRODPRIMER, Thor1 and 57 Fargo like this.
  10. Not a bad idea Cob

1949*john likes this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Like a permanent "holiday" sticky on the main forum? That sounds weird to me...

12. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

@Ryan
    No- not permanently.
    5 days before the holiday date until a week or so after.
    Then lock it and un-pin it and it will go down the pages.

Then post / pin a new one next year same set up / time frame to pin / unpin.

I can set it up if it’s OK.

It should minimize a bunch of individual holiday cheer and the frustrations of a bunch of individual holiday posts knocking other Hot Rod and Custom Car posts down the pages.

We can do it yearly,
    Christmas,
    Veterans Day, in honor of veterans.

I can set it up and monitor if ok with you.

Or, not If that’s something that you would rather not.

HOTRODPRIMER and Thor1 like this.
  13. Mmm, how many holidays are there? Where do you draw the line? On an international forum. It's a tricky one. Or maybe not.

14. silent rick

silent rick

i don't know you and i'm a friend of the devil, i know her very well.

SDhotrod, Fingers and oldiron 440 like this.
  15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Satan Clause? That you? :)

alanp561, lothiandon1940 and Fingers like this.
  16. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Hell I was married to her sister ….o_O

alanp561 and Fingers like this.
  17. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

This is getting off topic. I’m shutting it down. :);):D:D:D

Moriarity likes this.
  18. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Back to my solution suggestion at hand….

19. Sounds like a good idea, HRP

20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Solely Ryan's decision.
    Just offering a idea / solution.

21. I'll just say Merry Christmas right here :D 20231215_210352.jpg

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  22. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Smoke on the water Brother.
    I’ve killed about 75% of mine.
    Many thanks for the Eagle Rare an enjoyable 1500 mile round trip weekend.

23. I'll have you another bottle waiting my friend

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  24. JohnLewis

JohnLewis

25. 49fordf1v8

49fordf1v8
    from Arizona

26. 49fordf1v8

49fordf1v8
    from Arizona

Well Ryan, if having my '49 Ford F1 truck and a live Pine tree in pic is not acceptable or maybe not everyone is blessed here. I know I said Have a blessed holiday season, that could go against someone's beliefs. Anyway HAPPY HOLIDAYS and looking forward to 2024. Take care, Jack from Arizona

27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

there is already a traditional holiday card thread and a I picked up my christmas tree with my hot rod thread, perhaps you should have posted on one of those. as stated earlier in this thread, we can't have everyone posting generic holiday posts whenever a holiday comes up. It pushes the on topic content too far down the page. I see that you are fairly new here, please go here and read the rules for the site, thank you
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-h-a-m-b-rules-guidelines.44274/

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Perspective:

1. In the bygone era, the routine "Happy <insert holiday here>" posts sailed smoothly, unchallenged. Each festive occasion unfurled a deluge of reports, echoing a collective sentiment: "This joint's morphing into Facebook. Where's the real hot rod action? All I see is off-topic yammer about the damn holiday."

We brushed it off initially, let it simmer. But as time swirled, the reports gained volume, and, oddly, we found ourselves nodding along.

2. A decree was handed down: holiday threads get the green light, but tether 'em to the hot rod realm. On the surface, it looked like a smooth fix. Yet, none of you cats grapple with that queasy knot when axing a dude's heartfelt "I love you guys" holiday post. It's a grim spectacle. Hitting that delete button doesn't feel good.

And lately, it's spiraled into a freak show. Take this thread, for instance. In the divided age, people whine about everything, blind to alternate viewpoints. No shades of gray, just "You're wrong" and "I'm right."

Behind the curtains, I'm wading through a swamp of emails and PMs, assaults on my creed and political leanings. Baseless assumptions because someone's "way" didn't align with their personally given "rights"...

All I'm striving for is a space pulsating with pure, unadulterated traditional hot rod and custom vibes—where everyone, from the squarest to the quirkiest, can soak up knowledge or lay down wisdom. Screw holidays, politics, personal dogmas...

Shouldn't be this goddamn complicated. Or maybe my optics are fogged. Hot rods trump all that noise... always have.

So I guess the prudent thing to say here is this: I do the very best that I can to moderate this joint in alignment with my personality. Some of you folks just flat out wouldn't like me if you knew me. That's understandable. I can see from that perspective.

And if you are one of these folks, you have to decide if your distaste for me and my ways override your desire for pure content or not. It's simple really.

At the end of the day, I'm always going to default to on-topic content.

29. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know you and I like you.

-Abone.

30. I don’t know you at all but I think we would get along just fine. Happy….errr…I mean….ummm…hot rods for ever!

Chucky and Thor1 like this.