Register now to get rid of these ads!

I blew my clutch this morning.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry, Dec 4, 2004.

1. manyolcars

manyolcars

[ QUOTE ]
    Man, thats some scary shit!!
    How much more would a scattershield cost?
    I'm using one in my Roadster ( and I rev it a little higher than 4500 RPM... [​IMG])
    Glad you are OK!

[/ QUOTE ]

A scattershield isnt needed unless you do something stupid like revving to 4500 rpm in neutral

2. You got lucky,
    Good luck.

Roost

3. [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm using one in my Roadster ( and I rev it a little higher than 4500 RPM... [​IMG])
    Glad you are OK!

[/ QUOTE ]

A scattershield isnt needed unless you do something stupid like revving to 4500 rpm in neutral

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I'm just stupid then, thanks for clearing that up.

Bob is the man as far as hemi stuff goes but I tend to march to the beat of a different drummer so I'm going to try and create my own solution. I managed to find a small block Mopar lakewood bell on EBAY last night and already won the auction. The guy listed it poorly and didn't even include the application so I didn't have to fight any other bidders.

The bell pattern is the same from the early hemi to a small block mopar. There might be an issue with the depth but I can resolve it using an old factory Mopar plate that went between the bell and engine. They are different widths between the Desoto, Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler. Next I'll need to machine the locating hole in the center to 5.125" for the A833 O/D. I'll need to make a different starter mount and weld it on. Lastly, I want to retrofit this bell with the shaft arangement instead of a fork. This will let me use my existing shift linkage. A bunch or work? Sure, but I kind of enjoy doing stuff like this.

After all that I'll start on the collateral damage to the wiring and body.

Attached Files:

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Glad you are OK!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, this is interesting...
    Is there a difference between running a engine at 4500 RPM in neutral, or in gear with a load on it?
    How about powershifting it at, say 7500?
    I never thought twice about doing either, but maybe I need some some more info about the risks?

BTW, I would leave the ripped sheetmetal on the outside of the car.
    As far as battle scars go, thats a pretty cool one... [​IMG]

5. The 4500rpm in neutral is a good question. It's not like I was sitting there depressing the clutch revving it. What does load have to do with it?

Battle scar. :) I'm going to have to invent a better story if I leave it there.

Naw. It'll get fixed. The bodywork fixing the hole scares me more than creating a bell that will work. Bodywork is not my best thing.

6. OK, Got the clutch out and it's a mess. I knew one of the bolts had broken. If it had held, the mess would have been contained in the pressure plate housing. Oh well.

The aluminum flywheel looks pretty good all things considered. Around the threaded bung where the bolt broke there are some dings but that is the worst of it. The friction surface is fine. The treaded bung is fine also but the top shoulder of that hole shows worse for the wear. I was concearned for the ring gear. A few teeth need a bit of file work but not to much.

All in all, I got off lucky with the flywheel.

Attached Files:

7. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

8. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I remember seeing a tri five chevy that lost a clutch. It blew the dash up into the windshield. I run a Lakewood on my 1955 just in case. Glad you didn't take any metal shrapnel.

9. squirrel

squirrel

holy thread revival, batman! 2004

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

What's curious, is how people find them? If you do a search for something, it's usually 10 pages to get back that far.:confused:

11. Straight out of the zombie apocalypse files.....

Bob

12. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

So, Kerry, did you get it fixed yet??:D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

13. I guess some folks take the internet scolding "do a search " quite seriously

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scary stuff when you think of what it could have done to your foot. I did about the same amount of damage to my 57 Chevy Panel truck in the mid 70's (hot 327) when I got in a street race with a Mercedes when leaving the place I worked. I hit second and dumped the whole clutch in the street with chunks of bellhousing and the input shaft off the trans. My boss's son saw me take off and heard the clutch blow and went in and sent the company wrecker after me. The bellhousing still had a big hole in it when I traded the truck off.

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When i was racing with a long bell housing block I made a steel blow shield to go around it. I bet if you call Diest they can make you a blanket exactly for your needs.

16. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Good idea. They might be able to make it to go around the aluminum HH muncie adapter too

17. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Digging this up from the grave... How did everything turn out Kerry? I have 3 extended bell engines and want to see your A833 adapter.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Kerry checks in occasionally. Hang tight, I'm sure he will answer.

classiccarjack likes this.
  19. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kerry and I were talking about that hole in the cowl at the HAMB Drags this year. Hard to believe it happened 14 years ago.

-Abone.

Roothawg likes this.