Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How to Traditionally Hot Rod a Four Door Star Chief?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fadingfastsd, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I think what we are seeing here is a bit of a generation gap! Those of us over forty would have never showed up at high school in a four door. And if we did, we would have parked it a couple of blocks away! That said, the younger guys don't seem to have the same stigma about four doors. Today is 2009- do what you want with it. The best comment I've read so far was from OFF BEAT when he said "don't shave the rear door handles 'cause it looks like you wanted a two door". Be proud of the car you have, and enjoy it.

2. flypa38

flypa38

Who said I was in high school in 1959? I sure didn't!
    Point is, that car was nerdy as hell and I didn't need to rely on a cool car to be accepted.
    Maybe things were that way then, but not now!
    How about some constructive replies for the guy who originally asked.....
    What hop up parts were available then for Pontiacs?
    How about some less common body mods that would REALLY suit this car?
    For the guys who were around then, ever see anything done on a '55 Poncho that really stuck out as cool?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  3. OK, the dude's original question was what would a high school kid in 1959 do? How hard is that?

4. Reading is important, huh?

5. jaxx

jaxx

slight chop - skirts - dechrome some - shave handles - lakes - like this

6. wrenchrocket

wrenchrocket

So with the logic of half the comments on here 4 doors should be banned from the hamb and scrapped donlt even part any of them out cause its all tainted 4 door parts. I donLt know anything about 1959 other than it was over 20 years before I existed , My old man and his brother had to share a car with their mother as $ was tight. They drove what was available. If the argunent is that 4doors aren't traditional sure why not. But was the original posts intention to start this war of words or get some ideas of which ways to go with his 4 door in a traditional style? Maybe its all just semantics. Hell I drove a mini van thru half of high school and then bought a 5.0 mustang. Parked em both right up front. Just my 2 cents but what do I know

7. flypa38

flypa38

Not hard at all! I agree 100%! Seems to me that was answered very early on. I was just trying to tell the guy to make it his own. Not trying to call anyone an asshole. I have all the respect in the world for the guys who lived it and influence what we do now.
    But, for the record I still love my 4 door Pontiac!

8. monsterflake

monsterflake

i didn't say anything about trashing all four doors and i like station wagons...

9. OK I should probably clarify a few things.

I threw out the year 1959 off the top of my head. The point I was trying to convey, was that you were in high school, and the car was 4-5 years old and hand been handed down to you by your parents. What would you do to it then to make it cool?

I really wasn't meaning to be firm on the year 1959, just somewhere in that range, even early 60's would work.

Also, I have a huge amount of respect for my elders, and the people that were car guys long before I was born. I haven't intended to offend or be rude to anyone since starting this thread. It did wonder off topic, I never intended to discuss 2 door vs. 4 door either. It was pretty specific, that you are handed down THIS car, a 4 door, and what would you do it IT. (That doesn't include selling it to buy a 2 door either!)

That being said, I also don't like to see (or be) talked down to by older generations of hot rodders. There's not a ton of younger kids involved in this stuff at this point anyways, and being harsh on younger guys asking questions is just going to drive more people away. I'm not really including myself in this statement, I'm 26, and have been an old car & motorcycle guy my whole life, and will continue to do so regardless of what anyone could say to me.

With all that being said, this turned out to be a pretty awesome thread with good discussion, and tons of good ideas, and I appreciate the photoshopped pics of the car.
    I just wanted to clear up what exactly I meant by posting this in the first place.

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far, and lets keep it going!

10. Ok, so all the old timers have spoke :D, and the verdict is most would not have done anything to a four door. Fast forward 50 years, obviously our generation isn't as picky or judgemental as past ones. Most of us younger guys say to each his own. Also, a TRUE car guy wouldn't dismiss a ride for simply being a 4 door. There WERE four doors built back in the day, there are photos to prove what the minds have forgotten. At the end of the day FADINGFASTSD, the car is yours, if you dig it, build it. If it isn't strictly "traditional" so be it. You bought it with your money, you are the one that will be enjoying it. Besides, how boring would it be if everyone drove the same thing...you know a black Duece w/ black steelies.
    I would do something along these lines if that Poncho were mine.

Attached Files:

11. Kerry67

Kerry67

^^^^^
    pretty cool

12. Couldn't agree more. Just keep looking around find what you like and run with it.

13. Respect this

Custom Rodder July '57
    [​IMG]

Oct '57
    [​IMG]

Dec '57
    [​IMG]

Dec '58
    [​IMG]

Feb '59
    [​IMG]

Feb '59
    [​IMG]

14. I am really digging this.
    Especially the three star emblems moved to the rear skirts!
    Looks awesome.

Attached Files:

15. And before your head totally explodes, here are some 4-door Hot Rods

Custom Rodder July '57
    [​IMG]

Custom Rodder April '58
    [​IMG]

I got tons more...need I continue?

16. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

I wonder if you would've worded the question differently at the begining, if you'd still get the same "traditionally, no 4 door is a hot rod" replies in this thread.
    I have a 4 door that I want to make cool. What "traditional" customizing can I do to make it cool?

Not sure how the HAMB would've reacted to that question, but hopefully it would've stayed on topic. When you put "traditional" and "4 door" in the same sentence... shit hits the fan. meh.. just a thought.

17. Big Tony

Big Tony

To me its all up to you and your funds....But it would be pretty rad with...

1. chrome steelies, dropped or bagged with a screaming motor and some lines thrown down on the old paint or

2. you could go painted steelies with spider caps, lines thron down and lower with blocks and cut springs or

3. Nice paint (maybe some flake or lace), wheels and new interior

Its up to you..thats what makes cars fun, what is kewl to you may suck in my book, just have fun with it and drive it like you stole it. More doors = more fun. my 54 is a four door as is my 30 sedan i'm currently working on.

Good luck and have fun

18. Arthur1958

Arthur1958

I now fall into the old-timer category but I never did buy this anti-sedan thing. I remember even older old-timers who used to say "coupes are for chickens" because "all real hot rods are roadsters" ... to which we used to answer "it's what you do with what you got that counts." Anything with wheels and an engine can be a hot rod.

19. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

Put a good looking set of wheels or caps and tires on it. make it sound good, lower it and cruise. Thats all it needs and it would be very cool.

20. wrenchrocket

wrenchrocket

My point was the way allot of the anti 4 door comments were coming across that's what it was seeming like. Personally if it wasn't for past generations we wouldn't have this car culture we all love and for that matter we wouldn't have a county where we have the freedom to do what we love to do. No disrespect to the older generation meant. One of the great things about this board is we can all ask questions to each other and get good info. I started following this thread cause I just picked up a 56 chieftain 4 door hdtop and am trying to get ideas my self. Bottom line didn't mean any disrespect to anyone just felt that the intent of the thread was lost in the 2 dr 4 dr opinions

21. Don't listen to anybody and drive what you like....besides, hot women have uncontrolable urges to lean against 4 door cars. It's a well known fact. :D

Attached Files:

22. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

At this point, its extremely obvious!

God, I hope some new member doesn't stumble across this thread after picking up his first car. I remember how stoked I was to get my '61 Lincoln in high school...(and the 4 door '59 Galaxie after that, and my 4 door '56 Poncho after that...) but if I came across this thread I'd probably end up offing myself. Either that or deleting my HAMB account as I'd quickly learn 4 doors aren't welcome around here. haha

I've always been a 4 door guy, not necessarily out of preference, I really wouldn't care 2 or 4 either way, its just what has always come along. The cars I've had have always been opportunity, a good price at the right time. I'm still saving and waiting for the one car I'm determined to find at some point in my life - 1959 Cadillac, 2 or 4 door.

pvfjr and dimitri89 like this.
  23. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

If you've got a 4dr and you're in hs and think it's cool, well, I'm sorry you were raised in a single parent household but the truth is that's a grandma car.

Just put in some lowering springs and blocks in the back, get a decent exhaust that sounds nice, and drive it as is.

24. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

make it a 2 door

25. monsterflake

monsterflake

nothing about 4 doors in here...

[​IMG]

26. Monsterflake, was a 55 poncho 2 or 4door one of the items crossed off of the list? I'll take any 55 poncho, any day of the week!!!!

Speaking of which, I wonder if this is a car I was wanting to be taking that I saw advertized in old cars weekly / kennys klunkers a few months ago. It's a car I would of jumped on if it didn't cost at least a G-note to ship a car from cali to chi-town.
    As far as this car goes, the colors are perfect. I would shave the rear door handles, spray on (or buy) some wide whites, and enjoy!!! Congrats on a great car...

P.s. The black poncho is art by sixpack- a hamber in France.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  27. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Thats a good start enjoy the hell out of it. At leased its not a 4 door Honda!
    The dude that was asking about building a car with a budget of 4 grand should read this its a nice start, make it Your traditional hot rod.
    Good Luck

28. brg404

brg404
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So simple, weld up the rear doors, cut off the roof, put on a looong rear deck and continential kit. Forget everything said about two door vs four door when you can have a droptop... (longhorn trophy mount on front grill optional)

29. ^^^^ Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!

30. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

I wouldn't touch a 4 door with a ten foot pole.... oh wait. shit. I own one.

Honestly, just drive the hell out of it. Don't get too crazy until something breaks/blows up which will REQUIRE you taking it off the road for awhile. That's my philosophy anyway. Been driving mine as is for over a year. As soon as something blows, major makeover time!

Oh yea, and I have less than $100 invested into mine so far, mainly lowering blocks and the sheet metal (and beer) for my driveshaft tunnel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.