Register now to get rid of these ads!

How did you mount your 32 ford hoodsides?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roadsterpilot, Mar 20, 2010.

1. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

I am adding hoodsides to my roadster and I have went back and forth on how to attach them at the bottom. I have the original latches, and have considered dzus fastners. I would like to see some pictures of how others have done theirs.

Any help would be appreciated.............Thanks In Advance!!!

Attached Files:

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

No answer to your question but how or who did the hood sides? They are perfect!

Frank

3. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

Hey Jerrod don't mount em. Box them up and send them to me. Those are way kool !!

4. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Jim Huseby in Oak Grove Missouri punched the louvers and attached the blisters, he started with a set of blank rootliebs. He is extremely talented and does alot of traditional hotrod fabrication.

Hey, throw in a t-shirt so I can stay another day and you might have a deal!

5. 100_7865.jpg 100_7866.jpg 100_7869.jpg 100_7870.jpg Jerrod
    I've used 2 pins mounted to the frame with small brackets off the front and rear of the hood side. These brackets slide over the pins. I've put these on 4 hoods and have had no problems. There is no latch, just the slip fit of the brackets over the pins hold them in place. These pix are on a 3 piece hood if using a 4 piece hood the pins need to be a little longer. Out side there is no visible latch. Just pick up on the hood sides when you want to open.
    Gary

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    nochop likes this.
  6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

They are gorgous sides, don't spoil them with dzus fasteners :(

7. doctorZ

doctorZ

i was planning on dzus fasteners for mine, but after seeing this i'm definitely stealing your idea. did you use rubber bushings or anything to keep it from rattling? what about on the top.

sorry for the thread hijack!!

8. Andy

Andy

I used some aircraft latches from a hatch on a Beech airplane. I got them at a airplane junk shop. They are Hartmans? You see thrm on jet engine cowlings. They snap flush when shut and you push a little tab to open them. A part folds out and makes a nice handle. They pull up when closing.

9. 100_7880.jpg 100_7881.jpg 100_7882.jpg
    I don't have any rubber bushings, just a snug fit on the stainless pins. On this hood I used a 3 piece top with a cam style latch on the drivers side and a simple lunch box latch on the passenger side
    I ordered a 3" longer 3 piece top ,split it down the middle then welded a hinge down the middle. now its a 4piece top without the hinge pin rods down the sides. make sense :confused:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    charleyw likes this.
  10. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I used two pins into the frame on the bottom , and two Full Bore dzus buttons on the top. I can remove both hood sides without removing the hood top, much easier.

Attached Files:

charleyw and bonesy like this.
  11. Tony D.

Tony D.

I don't have anything to show, but I have seen a member on here that makes leather "tie-down" straps that IMO look cool.

2deuces64 - Nice setup, very clean.

12. ken1939

ken1939

Boy this one is a tough call. You really hate to take away the look of the hood sides...

Just throwing crap at the wall again.

One one hand, using original style hold downs may not look out of the question. What do you plan with the hood side, paint the louvers and chrome the blister? It could have an impact. I could see stainless hold downs on either side and looking good. With the details you have on the car, that mechanical touch would look neat.

The pinning method has merrit. Very clean, but as mentioned, with the 4 pc hood.... Then you are back to ridgid hood sides with a bungee to hold the top from flopping open. Not the best.

Lets think three in three dimensions. Like the idea of the pins, what if you had on the back side of the hood a bracket that either recieved a bolt of somesort, that you could finger tighten from an access hole under the frame rail?

I know I suck

I wont mention the safety hold down belt that some cars have...

13. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Thanks for the pictures and ideas, I will post more pics after I get the hoodsides mounted.

14. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

My vote is dzus fastener. With stock style hold downs it can pull the hood down misaligning the beltline.

15. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Well I went with the stock style hold downs and KENDEUCE is right they pull the puff line out of alignment, but I got them close. The problem with the sides the blister stiffened the hoodsides and took the flex out of them, you really need them to flex to fit the contour of the cowl.............Well heres some pictures before paint, I think they will work.

Attached Files:

charleyw likes this.
  16. lorodz

lorodz

nice job car looks great ..love the blisters...

17. kaydub

kaydub
    from Cali

Man, those hood sides look great!!!! the stock style latch go with the car...

When we get around to finally putting the hood on my dad's roadster, we'll be going with:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. brady1929

brady1929

^^^^^^^^ i like those ^^^^^^^

19. I used model A brackets then cut the top to suit the shape of the hood latch.

Attached Files:

20. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Im glad you went with the original hold downs..I think they compliment the hood sides really well, and they are the best system for a four piece hood, as they pull the hood down and into the correct shape. the belt line misalignment is usually due to the cowl lacing being too thin, It needs to be packed up into position to align things. Aligning 32 bodies properly is really hard!

21. rexrogers

rexrogers

Great looking hood sides i am glad you used stock latches they work and will allow for any adjustment that might be needed down the road.

the pictures suck but it uses camlocks on the top side and stock latches on the bottom. this allowed the owner to run the car with out hood sides and still be able to keep the top secure with a strap on to the latches. Still not sure if i really ever liked them this way most guys either run hood sides or don't still a fairly clean install.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hood side blister for a 409 in a 32 sedan the blister matches the profile of the head lights.

I like your hood sides the nice long narrow blister and the louvers cut to fit help stretch the look of the hood out some very cool.

22. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

i'm planning on running a hood on my 32 but want it to be removable and still drive the car. The problem I have with the stock hold downs is the big latch that flops around on the frame when the hood is off. Has anyone inverted the stock latch so that the pull handle stays on the hood and the bracket is the only thing on the frame??

23. Killer look

24. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    from Omaha Ne.

However you end up mounting them............ They Look Great, Nice stuff Jerrod. Gary

25. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I've worked on a bunch of 32's and most are set up as 2dueces64 described above. The pins are neat and clean. Some weld the pins in prior to chassis paint. Others install nut-zerts and screw the pins in. The pins are forearm eaters if you are doing any work in there. On my personal 32, I welded 16 ga. tabs to the inside of the hood sides. The welds are at the roll in the metal at the bottom of the reveal. I went slow and got no warpage. The tabs are drilled with a 1/4" hole. I installed 1/4" nut-zerts in the top of the framerail and use 1/4" stainless screws at each location. At the top, I used small stainless screws (countersunk) that go through the 90 degree bends and into the hinge and latch bars. No fasteners are seen and it's easy to remove the sides. Your car looks traditional. There sure wouldn't be any problem with using original latches or cam-locks (czus) fasteners. Sam

26. countspanko

countspanko

realy like the top did you make it

27. Ilari

Ilari

Very old topic, but I looked this to get inspiration. And made something else instead. Here’s my design of latch attachment. I hope someone else get’s inspiration of this. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep, old thread, still relevent, don't know how I missed it though.
    I have a Rootlieb three piece hood set on my roadster with a Dan Fink release/latch assembly and yes, it does take some patience to get EVERYTHING located right, including the frame pin holes but it works nice, I also used the Dzus style fasteners from Full Bore Products (Roy Fjastad) mounted low on hood sides.
    If all your body lines "line up" you did good!

upload_2021-1-28_12-26-15.png

upload_2021-1-28_12-28-42.png

Attached Files:

Fordor Ron likes this.
  29. Here's how I did mine.

1116181421.jpg