Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hollis Cranmer's louver set

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Jul 27, 2014.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

There is about a week in the whole deal with about 70% of it going to lay out. But, I did it over a two week period for two reasons.

1. So I can lay out a panel, set it aside and really LOOK at it a day or two. I still surprise myself at how many times I do something and it looks great on the bench, yet not so good after a day or two of looking at it. I figure the client has to look at it for the life of their ownership of the car, I might as well shoot for perfection!

2. I frequently need time to step away and relax when punching a large order like this. I find I can punch about 100 louvers at a time before my eyes just stop seeing centerlines and such clearly. When that sets in it's time to walk away for a bit and re-fresh. This stuff is a bit like defusing a bomb in that I don't get ANY second chances.

gwhite and 117harv like this.
  2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Nice job! Third row fifth one back is .003 off.......................................................:D

Hollis Cranmer likes this.
  3. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Wow chip! I want to learn to do this now.

Somebody wanna send me a couple '34 Ford deck lids to practice on?

4. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No it isn't!;)

6. belair

belair

There's only one way to do it right, and you did it right. A laborer works with his hands, a craftsman works with his brain, and an artist works with his heart. It's easy to see where you fit in.

7. marioD

marioD

Top Job!

Mario

8. big57daddy

big57daddy

Impressive! you, sir, have definitely earned your G&Ts this week!

9. jerry

jerry

I'm thinking that the heat had a bit to do with it!

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

SAM_6777.JPG Ya, current temp in the shop... lowest it's been all week! And, this is with the cooler going full steam about five feet away!

11. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Desert life is not for the weak or stupid.

So why am I going out to weld when it's 105F outside?

My wife says it's brain damage, but WTH does she know!
    (OK she says it's only 102 here, so she's not totally useless....)

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

NICE! Brings back the days of bloody finger tips restoring Bugatti GP cars. Bob

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup, I USED to be dumb enough to offer to help sand for my customers that had me punch more than 300... USED to. However, I don't think I am any smarter after looking at that thermometer again.

gwhite likes this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Do you notice the shop getting cooler as more air is blowing through every louver you punch? Bob

15. r2c1

r2c1

We do louvers here at the shop and I can tell you not only is laying them out critical, but punching them is just as tough. Don't take much to screw up a whole row. Ron

16. r2c1

r2c1

By the way very well done. Chip

17. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Chip;

Very nice.

Don't suppose you're up for a tutorial... :D ? Maybe for Tech Week? Or maybe just because - you Can... :D ? Your other how-tos are detailed nicely, & well written w/the pics. Because of the way you write, it's like listening to you talk. Hard quality to express. Thanks. Marcus...

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's maybe not a bad idea Nrgwizard. If there is really any interest in doing so, I could be up for it. It really wouldn't be of too much help to those with out a louver press except to maybe give folks an idea of what to look for in a louver pattern, or what to expect when they have stuff louvered. Ya, that's maybe really not a bad idea...

19. It's always cool to see how guys do stuff especially when they do it well.

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

One last one on this.... These panels have to get to Hollis' builder, Clint up in Salt Lake City. Well, just about anybody that has ever had a driver's license in Phoenix is involved in Bonneville racing, so as of yesterday the streets in this town are utterly deserted.... One of the many folks heading north today was JERRY, one of the original H.A.M.B.ers, and one of a few that dragged my ass kicking and screaming into '00s by getting me on here. He agreed to transport this load of stuff up in his multi million mile'd truck to Clint's waiting arms! How cool is that? Ya never know what might roll up and deliver your goods when ya work with Hot Rod Central Louver Co.! SAM_6827.JPG

21. Hollis Cranmer

Hollis Cranmer

Once again , thanks so much Chip for a great job on my louvers. Additionaly a BIG thank you to Jerry for doing a favor for an unknown new friend. Thanks !!!!!

22. Hollis Cranmer

Hollis Cranmer

[​IMG]
    Progress continues. Body is out for paint.

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Those beautiful pieces...(yeah, perfect...I examined 'em! Old bud Moe Miller had J&J Custom Shop's old louver press, I helped him punch out a small 214 louver job one Saturday afternoon. And evening. And up to breakfast! My baaack! LOL)
    Jerry was likely proud to carry the cool cargo in an extraordinarily cool A-D example...
    "Special Delivery!"
    Kudos, Chip.

24. jerry

jerry

Damn, but I do need to redo those fenders! And this is the good side!

Glad to help.

jerry

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That quote alone tells the best tale about louvering stuff! "One Saturday afternoon. And evening. And up to breakfast! My baaack!" Welcome to my world!!! Again, thanks Hollis, and thanks Jerry!!!

26. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

All those louvers will look great on his new roadster.