Register now to get rid of these ads!

Holley Fuel Pressure Regulator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ragtop, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Anyone know how to adjust these? I'm thinking the fuel pressure would increase as the screw is turned in. Correct? I'm having all kinds of trouble with my second Edlebrock carb and I'm guessing it's too much pressure. A fuel pressure guage, deadheaded onto the fuel line off the pump records between 7 and 12 psi, but the needle bounces so much it's hard to say exactly. Do I need a second line returning to the tank from this regulator or do I just plug the second port and dial down the pressure?

2. squirrel

squirrel

assuming it's the old style Holley regulator, you just plug the unused outlet, or put your pressure gage there while you're adjusting it then plug it.

5 psi should be plenty....

3. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

If it's too be used as a deadhead reg. it's in right . You may have to put a liquid filled gauge on it to calm it down,vibration raises hell with them.
    It is possible something is stuck in the reg. and it won't adjust. You didn't use thread tape anywhere on your fuel system did you?

If you want to use it as a bypass reg.you need to run the line directly from the pump to the carb,then tee it somewhere in that run and put the reg. in with the line to the tank as a return.

This is the way we do all the alcohol setups, the best part is when you put the reg. in there hook it up backwards. Thats right ,pressure in the out port and the return out the in port. Adjust with the screw as normall

I know ,you don't believe this stuff but it has worked on bunches of cars!!

4. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Depending on what pump you have, you may need a different (low pressure) Holley regulator to get the pressure down where you want it. The problem there, is that the two different pressure rated Holley regulators look identical, and are often mis-boxed...meaning that you have to physically test each one with a gauge after installing it.

I went through this on my car, which uses a Carter electric pump. Without the regulator, the pressure read anywhere from 7-12 psi and jumped all over the place. When I brought home the FIRST Holley regulator I bought and hooked a gauge up in place of the carb to test it, I could dial the pressure down to about six and a half pounds, or up to about nine pounds...and the needle showed a constant, smooth and steady reading. The regulator takes all the 'jumpin' out of the fuel pressure and just delivers a steady, even pressure to your carb.

However, I wanted my pressure dialed down further, and the regulator I bought wouldn't do it. Turns out that I had the higher rated one in the box. I returned it to the speed shop and came home with another one that worked right when I hooked it up...I was able to dial the pressure down to just a hair under 4 psi, right where I wanted it.

I have one outlet on the regulator going to the carb, and the other one plugged.

The car has been on the road for months with no problems using this set-up.

The regulator you need is Holley # 12-804

5. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Thanx. It's a new old stock regulator that I've had for years and never used. Since my fuel pressure seems too high for the Edlebrock I figured I'd better install it, but must have lost the paper work years ago.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I've been thinking of running a return system on my 55 (street car) to see if I can fix a heat soak problem...this sounds like a neat way to use the hardware I have already to make it work. thanks!

7. Cantstop

Cantstop

It may be your carb. I bought one when they first came out had gas dripping out of the venturi at idle, turn the pressure down to like 4psi and it stopped. Not the ideal pressure for about 300 horses. In the past few years I've had the same problem out of every Edelbrock carb.I bought my 70 Camaro it had one and I was getting ready to swap it for a Holley, a buddy came by and told me my float was out of adjustment.I adjusted the float ( you use a 7/16 drill bit as your guide if I remember right, just call Edelbrock they will tell you the procedure) and was back up to 9 psi. Its really easy to do. My buddy said he sees this with brand new carbs right out of the box.

8. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Great info. I got all the fittings I need today and plan to connect it tomorrow after I check that Holley part #. I'll let you know how it works out. While we're at it, anyone know what pressure is correct for a set of three small Rochesters on a SBC?

9. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

IMHO the best way to "fix" a Holley regulator is to replace it with a Mallory. The Holley is a very poor design compared to most others on the market.

10. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

I installed the regulator today and set the pressure at 5 psi. The car is running much better and no gas fumes burning my eyes. It really stabilized the pressure too - the gauge stay right at 5 psi instead of bouncing from about 7 to 12 or 13. Thanx for the suggestions.

11. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

That's exactly how they're supposed to work...after installing my Holley regulator, I won't run a car without one. It's SO much easier on the needle and seat to have a steady, consistent pressure behind it than to have it pulsing and bouncing around.

Glad it solved your problem!