Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Holley Carburetor issues, please help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Villadog, May 28, 2015.

1. Villadog

Villadog

Hi guys,
    Ive installed a new holley in my 1952 f1. The truck has a ford 400 modified and a holley 600. I drive the truck around and when i come to a stop the rpm surges as if the truck wants to go forward, i have to press the brake really hard or the truck not to move forward. I capped the brake booster line and it still does the same thing. so its not the brake booster. Please any suggestions will help.

2. jimpopper

jimpopper

Is your vacuum advance hooked up properly? To a ported vacuum signal?

3. Villadog

Villadog

Don't think so popper, how is done? Sorry for my ignorance

4. Villadog

Villadog

There is no vacuum
    hose to the distributor

5. jimpopper

jimpopper

If your engine has a vacuum advance distributor, it's vacuum supply should come from the small vacuum port found near the choke thermostat at about the two o'clock position. If you feed it manifold vacuum, it will advance fully when your engine reaches maximum vacuum (Idle). This advanced timing causes an increase in engine speed. The ported vacuum port mentioned sends the proper vacuum signal when the throttle plates are closed (idle) and does not raise engine rpm.

6. jimpopper

jimpopper

Ok with no vacuum advance then the porting there is not an issue. Are all the unused vacuum ports capped including the one I mentioned?