Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hiwayman NEEDS a Y-Block!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6-bangertim, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

I'm looking for a Y-block in rebuildable condition in San Diego or SoCal for our beloved 'San Diego Hiwayman'. His Merc rescue vehicle lost an engine last week. He just doesn't have the funds to spring for a new mill, so I want to get the ball rolling to find him a 312, (but he will settle for a 292). I would be willing to pick the engine up, and donate some cash to help him out.

PLEASE let me know if anyone here has any leads! Outside of SoCal, maybe we can ship via Fastenal. I dunno, have never used them. Please guys and gals, ask around! Thanks, Tim

2. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Tim, pm sent.

1937Hemi likes this.
  3. I don't approve of enabling Do gooders no matter who the happen to be.

4. Well, you just bumped his thread...:rolleyes:

HiHelix and CapeCodBob like this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I sure hope I misread that statement.
    Please define that?

7. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Go to page 19 of the "50 Years of Playing on the Freeway" thread where he explains his reasons for making that statement.... :eek:

loudbang and Petejoe like this.
  8. I hope I didn't read that thread right either.All the H.A.M.B. members I ever delt with here were GOOD people.!!!! Bruce.

Sonny Elza, bobg1951chevy and Petejoe like this.
  9. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

MERRY CHRISTMAS
    feel the LOVE
    and

Kind reminds me of --->

Though the Wizard sadly tells the heartless Tin Man that "hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable", he points out that "do-gooders" have no bigger hearts than his, so for his kindness, he presents him with a token of esteem and affection, a watch, with the observation that: "A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others."

Chavezk21 and HiHelix like this.
  10. Old Wolf, having just read 'Atlas Shrugged' felt inspired. "Where is the best place to spread the message of greedy individualism?" he thought to himself. He scoured the vastness of the internet message boards, but found many to be too political, too high-brow and drenched in feel-goodedness; the kind that gave him an odd sensation he couldn't make peace with. Finally, he unleashed his mighty Ayn Rand-ian ferver on unsuspecting hot-rodders. Wisps of spittle flecked his monitor as he raved and jabbered over a "do-gooder" that just needed a motor so he could keep doing a thing that he loved, and that was something he could no longer abide.

11. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

JUST READ ah ya right (j/k) friggen THICK book took me ferEVER to finish...
    a bit OFF subject but in the area of A mans work

Old wolf likes this.
  12. bchctybob

bchctybob

Old Wolf's alright, he's just stirrin' the pot his way. How else would we get a creative post such as GreenMonster's
    On the "playin on the freeway" thread, someone else questioned the wisdom of enabling a senior citizen to put his life in danger daily. I say; what a man does in his Mercury wagon is his business. He's helped out a bunch of people over the years. He's being watched over.

13. And that "Playing on the freeway thread" is now closed.
    Boss wants us to stay on topic. Leave the judging to the Judge.

EDIT... I did not close the thread! This post was made to let you know that Ryan closed the thread and that we all need to chill.
    Jeez guys

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  14. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Old wolf makes some valid points [ on the now closed thread :( ] -- I'm sorry he feels that way tho -- I just don't believe I could LIVE in a world such as depicted here --

The Good Samaritan 1,998 years later

[​IMG]

A certain man went along down the road traveling from point-A-to-point-B. And as it happened he fell among some thieves who beat him terribly, then left him wounded and bleeding along the highway.

And by chance there came a charismatic Catholic and a reformed Jew walking along that way. And when they saw him, they passed by on the other side. Likewise, a bible-toting Baptist, a proud to be "full-Gospel" Pentecostal, a "word-walking" plain-old Protestant AND even a couple of New Age Unitarian Universal existentialists happened along while on their way to an inter-faith community leaders conference. As each one in turn came upon the man and saw him lying helplessly in the way, all passed by on the other side.

But a certain Samaritan as he journeyed came where he was, and when he saw him, he had compassion on him. Being on foot and without means of provision to render aid, the Samaritan ran two miles to the nearest public telephone and hurriedly dialed 911.

Because funding for the police, paramedic and fire rescue services had all been drastically cut, being woefully under-staffed there was no unit available to send, especially not to such an out-of-the-way place. The emergency dispatcher immediately gave the sympathetic Samaritan a referral list of private ambulance companies to contact.

One-by-one the Samaritan called each of the ambulance companies, but all required a cash deposit prior to actual transport of the patient, -which they would be happy to charge to the "financially responsible party" on any valid American Express, MasterCharge or Visa Card. In lieu of a cash deposit, only a limited number of health insurance plans were accepted, providing they could obtain prior authorization from the health care provider for ambulance services (but no HMO's or PPO's accepted).

In vain the Samaritan tried to explain that the thieves had stripped the man naked and left him penniless without his wallet; there was no way to show proof of health care coverage even if he had any! The Samaritan was praised & verbally applauded for his valiant efforts to act as an advocate on the injured man's behalf, but since he was unable to secure the required deposit, he was politely refused service. The Samaritan was admonished not to worry hiimself any longer about the victimized man. Someone else has probably already come along, had undoubtedly seen the man's plight and provided assistance.

Not to be thwarted in his quest to get help for the badly injured and hopelessly stranded stranger, the Samaritan hastened off in the direction of the nearest town. With an air of expectancy he entered the first establishment he found which was a "ready-rental-car" agency. Although all he wanted to do was get the fallen traveler into town as quickly as possible, as soon as the rental car clerk learned why the Samaritan wanted to rent one of their cars, he immediately turned the Samaritan away citing the regulatory terms of the "liability coverage" on their entire fleet, which strictly prohibited the use of any of their vehicles to transport the handicapped or disabled. Their insurance contract also prohibited use of rental vehicles for commuter transport or car pools.

Even though the Samaritan patiently explained that none of these exclusions were applicable in this case, the apprehensive desk clerk insisted there was nothing he could do. According to company policy the matter required the approval of the office manager, who would not be available until the following Monday morning; but if he'd like to leave his name & number, he would ask the manager to get back to him as soon as possible.

Seeing that any further attempt to reason with the clerk would be futile, the Samaritan sighed deeply within himself as he left the rental agency and hurried down the street to the local drug store to buy some first-aid items with which he could temporarily treat the bleeding man's wounds. Once he finally reached the register, to his utter dismay the Samaritan was astonished to learn that without a major credit card or bank check guarantee card, (regardless of how urgent the circumstances were) without proper identifcation, the drugstore clerk (according to their store policy)steadfastly refused to accept his out-of-town check. The Samaritan could purchase neither precious oil nor expensive wine to pour on the poor man's wounds. In desperation the Samaritan traded his cloak with the merchant for a box of Bandaids and some antiseptic swabs.

Although it was with heaviness of heart that he began his return journey on foot, the irony of it all served to reinforce his determination to get back to the helpless man.

On his way through town the Samaritan spotted a congenial looking community church. Thank God, he thought as hope sprang up in his heart. Here he knew he would find "like-minded men" who would lend a helping hand. The Samaritan hurried up the steps and gingerly knocked on the office door. With the pastor's help in the church's maxi-van, he thought, we will most certainly be able to retrieve the injured man before dark!

In the pastor's comfortable study, the Samaritan listened silently as the pastor (while patting the Samaritan frequently on the shoulder) explained how he'd really like to help the poor fellow who was injured, but unfortunately it was entirely out of his hands. In a recent vote, the church council members had unanimously decided that the church's new maxi-van was to be exclusively reserved for "group functions" for church membership only.

The Pastor enthusiastically commended the Samaritan for wanting to do the right thing. He expressed his utmost admiration for the Samaritan's compassion and lavished a steady stream of compliments upon him concerning his Christian zeal, as he slowly but deliberately ushered the Samaritan step-by-step toward the door.

While insisting he was not insensitive to the injured man's plight, the pastor applauded the Samaritan's willingness to take up "that man's cause", -but he himself didn't think his ministry ought to get involved; who knows what kind of liabilities there might be...

Once again the Samaritan was turned away, as the pastor apologetically handed him a list of various other city, county and public health agencies that would be better suited to this particular need.

After searching from dusk until after dark, the Samaritan finally relocated the body of the mortally wounded man, laying in a ditch beside the highway. Chasing away stray dogs which had come to lick the bleeding wounds, the Samaritan stood quietly beside the now lifeless corpse. Prolonged exposure to the elements had been more than his beaten frame could bear. Bending slowly beside His bruised and broken body, the Sympathetic Samaritan reached His nail-scarred hand down and gently closed the dead man's eyes...while tenderly caressing the man's battered face, Jesus wept.

M. WEILAND

this story from reddit bout a year ago --

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/elal2/have_you_ever_picked_up_a_hitchhiker/

Just about every time I see someone I stop. I kind of got out of the habit in the last couple of years, moved to a big city and all that, my girlfriend wasn't too stoked on the practice. Then some shit happened to me that changed me and I am back to offering rides habitually. If you would indulge me, it is long story and has almost nothing to do with hitch hiking other than happening on a road.

This past year I have had 3 instances of car trouble. A blow out on a freeway, a bunch of blown fuses and an out of gas situation. All of them were while driving other people's cars which, for some reason, makes it worse on an emotional level. It makes it worse on a practical level as well, what with the fact that I carry things like a jack and extra fuses in my car, and know enough not to park, facing downhill, on a steep incline with less than a gallon of fuel.

Anyway, each of these times this shit happened I was DISGUSTED with how people would not bother to help me. I spent hours on the side of the freeway waiting, watching roadside assistance vehicles blow past me, for AAA to show. The 4 gas stations I asked for a gas can at told me that they couldn't loan them out "for my safety" but I could buy a really shitty 1-gallon one with no cap for $15. It was enough, each time, to make you say shit like "this country is going to hell in a handbasket."

But you know who came to my rescue all three times? Immigrants. Mexican immigrants. None of them spoke a lick of the language. But one of those dudes had a profound affect on me.

He was the guy that stopped to help me with a blow out with his whole family of 6 in tow. I was on the side of the road for close to 4 hours. Big jeep, blown rear tire, had a spare but no jack. I had signs in the windows of the car, big signs that said NEED A JACK and offered money. No dice. Right as I am about to give up and just hitch out there a van pulls over and dude bounds out. He sizes the situation up and calls for his youngest daughter who speaks english. He conveys through her that he has a jack but it is too small for the Jeep so we will need to brace it. He produces a saw from the van and cuts a log out of a downed tree on the side of the road. We rolled it over, put his jack on top, and bam, in business. I start taking the wheel off and, if you can believe it, I broke his tire iron. It was one of those collapsible ones and I wasn't careful and I snapped the head I needed clean off. Fuck.

No worries, he runs to the van, gives it to his wife and she is gone in a flash, down the road to buy a tire iron. She is back in 15 minutes, we finish the job with a little sweat and cussing (stupid log was starting to give), and I am a very happy man. We are both filthy and sweaty. The wife produces a large water jug for us to wash our hands in. I tried to put a 20 in the man's hand but he wouldn't take it so I instead gave it to his wife as quietly as I could. I thanked them up one side and down the other. I asked the little girl where they lived, thinking maybe I could send them a gift for being so awesome. She says they live in Mexico. They are here so mommy and daddy can pick peaches for the next few weeks. After that they are going to pick cherries then go back home. She asks if I have had lunch and when I told her no she gave me a tamale from their cooler, the best fucking tamale I have ever had.

So, to clarify, a family that is undoubtedly poorer than you, me, and just about everyone else on that stretch of road, working on a seasonal basis where time is money, took an hour or two out of their day to help some strange dude on the side of the road when people in tow trucks were just passing me by. Wow...

But we aren't done yet. I thank them again and walk back to my car and open the foil on the tamale cause I am starving at this point and what do I find inside? My fucking $20 bill! I whirl around and run up to the van and the guy rolls his window down. He sees the $20 in my hand and just shaking his head no like he won't take it. All I can think to say is "Por Favor, Por Favor, Por Favor" with my hands out. Dude just smiles, shakes his head and, with what looked like great concentration, tried his hardest to speak to me in English:

"Today you.... tomorrow me."

Rolled up his window, drove away, his daughter waving to me in the rear view. I sat in my car eating the best fucking tamale of all time and I just cried. Like a little girl. It has been a rough year and nothing has broke my way. This was so out of left field I just couldn't deal.

In the 5 months since I have changed a couple of tires, given a few rides to gas stations and, once, went 50 miles out of my way to get a girl to an airport. I won't accept money. Every time I tell them the same thing when we are through:

"Today you.... tomorrow me."

tl;dr: long rambling story about how the kindness of strangers, particularly folks from south of the border, forced me to be more helpful on the road and in life in general. I am sure it won't be as meaningful to anyone else but it was seriously the highlight of my 2010.

*edit: To the OP, sorry to jack your thread, this has nothing to do with Hitch Hiking. I sort of thought I could just get this off my chest, enjoy the catharsis and watch the story languish at the bottom of the page. Glad people like hearing the tale and I hope it moves you to be more helpful in your day to day. *

from Tomas
    I have USED the "Today you -- tomorrow me" MANY times! since readin this :D it's perfect

Old wolf, Gr8laker, catdad49 and 9 others like this.
  15. Tomas.do you want to continue your roadside rescues???There are some of us here that would gladly give you a helping hand,just say so..

16. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

AMEN Tom. EXACTLY why I've put the call out to locate another motor... and IT WORKED!

DAM-IT, by the time I had a reply for the other thread, it was CLOSED. :(

Well, best I can hope for is that 'Old Wolf' goes to Redbox some day, and snags a copy of 'Play It Forward'... might soften his heart a little. There is a TON of young people who really NEED to see that movie, if they truely want to bring about CHANGE in this country... even the world!

THANK YOU to 'Custom 300' for the PM! :)

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  17. Mr Criminal..Yes this thread was deleted some time ago,BUT due to many of the inderstanding members and complaints from them,Ryan reopened Thomas thread..I hope some of you "New" moderators stay off your hair trigger deletes...You should be as warm HEARTED as Thomas...

Bruce Fischer and 6-bangertim like this.
  18. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

555 posts .... it WAS going so well till the BS started.....
    this is a CAR place not a social behaviour forum...lol

19. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

I'd liketa be able to have the aBILITY to DO so - Merc dependably running again -

Beulah's "sitation" is more complex -- there's no EASY fix for her -- :( I *have* a fella in mind for her IF? but, being mobile, *he* doesn't have a place to DO her yet --https://www.facebook.com/ClassicResto?fref=ts he's looking, I'm waitin-hoping - the quality-beauty of his restorative ability -- electrical and mechanical -- is incredible.

20. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

NOPE... still CLOSED. :(

Old wolf and Gr8laker like this.
  21. Bangertim..I;m speaking of in the past...It was closed but reopened by popular demand...now another moderator has taken it upon hisself to close it again....

22. I just got back from helping a neighbor set the 340 and torque flight in his dodge dart. so been away from the puter for a few hours. The way I look at things everyone is free to think and do as they wish or want as long as it doesn't adversely effect other folks. This is the first thread Ive helped close on the HAMB. I have helped close quite a few on tri five. I also post on the SHTF and visit the daily stormer.

daniel gallocker likes this.

23. This is the first thread Ive helped close on the HAMB. I have helped close quite a few on tri five. I also post on the SHTF and visit the daily stormer.[/QUOTE]

And you're proud of that ?

24. If I remember right you were the one who said {when my trans was leaking on the 56 buick wagon and JUST wanted some advice} You said what? You want some one to do it for free!!!!Bruce.

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  25. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

I apologize to Thomas for my unbridled disdain in the now locked thread. I just felt compelled to express my polarized view to the "naysayer".
    Having said this, will fully take my lumps if necessary, but am sorry to Thomas for my getting fired about the pompous view of another.
    I came home after nightshift working in a Federal Prison and came unglued when I read the unencouraging post that set me off.
    Long Live Thomas and Beulah..........

26. Yes I took my transmission jack to his shop and helped him get it together and all buttoned up I did the underneath stuff and he did the top. We got it running. he paid me $20 per hour and was happy to do so.

27. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

is this thread about LABOR rate...
    can we stay on ONE subject at a time.... i'm old and feeble

HiHelix likes this.
  28. Don't get this thread locked, you have your option and everyone else has theirs.

Personally to me he's NOT harming anyone else....he's helping. He does what a NON trained tow truck driver would do, change a tire, add gas, jump start, sometimes just to get the person off the freeway (away from harm) and call for help. Here is Socal we have a service that runs up and down the freeways doing the same thing, but there are very few drivers (it's contracted I think) so chances you'll see one when you need it is slim. Plus it's HIS life he's putting in danger not yours and if you think that a tow driver is more skilled then he is at what he does then your VERY mistaken. As for needing help, replacing a motor or wiring up accessories it might be a knowledge or physical limitation but either doesn't diminish what he does or how he does it. Not really sure what your mad at (him or the people he helps), but as for the people he helps, there's always going to be people who don't know ANYTHING about cars even air in the tires........they keep us all in business :).

Anyways back to the topic at hand, motor or wiring.

29. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Hell YES, I want someone to do it for FREE!!!
    I spent 2, half-days over the Thanksgiving Day weekend at a Pick-A-Part helping a friend strip parts off of a car he found. Guess how much I asked for? Zilch!! Guess how much he paid me? Zilch!! I have a good group of friends and will help each other out and expect nothing. And we have a damn good time!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.